Shorter than stock adjustable track bar needed

gooseman80

So, here is my story. I while back I had a place called Gas Pedal Industries fix my track bar bracket which the bolt had ripped through. I believe it was caused by constant death wobble over time. FYI: This wasn't something I had ignored in that I shortly prior had even traded a truck for this jeep. It's a 2005 Wrangler by the way with only a 1-3/4" coil spacer kit and 1" body mounts running on stock size tires right now. What they ended up doing was welding a new bracket to my front axle and modifying the stock track bar. Jeep had been siting for a while because it still had the death wobble after getting it back plus I couldn't afford to start replacing other front suspension parts at that time. I had other things I could drive so I let it sit. Well, I just kind of checked things out with it the other day because I was thinking about installing some adjustable control arms I bought for it a while back. From my measurement, the axle is off center 1/2 an inch. The current measurement of my modified track bar from center of bolts is 27 inches. In order to center my axle better, the track bar would need to be about 27-1/2 inches. I would really like to put an adjustable track bar on this jeep but no body that I can see even mentions the adjustable length in inches of their track bars. Is this some kind of top secret information or am I missing something, haha. How can I find an adjustable track bar for my jeep that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Do they even make a short one that would work? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
So, here is my story. I while back I had a place called Gas Pedal Industries fix my track bar bracket which the bolt had ripped through. I believe it was caused by constant death wobble over time. FYI: This wasn't something I had ignored in that I shortly prior had even traded a truck for this jeep. It's a 2005 Wrangler by the way with only a 2.5" body lift and stock size tires right now. What they ended up doing was welding a new bracket to my front axle and modifying the stock track bar. Jeep had been siting for a while because it still had the death wobble after getting it back plus I couldn't afford to start replacing other front suspension parts at that time. I had other things I could drive so I let it sit. Well, I just kind of checked things out with it the other day because I was thinking about installing some adjustable control arms I bought for it a while back. From my measurement, the axle is off center 1/2 an inch. The current measurement of my modified track bar from center of bolts is 27 inches. In order to center my axle better, the track bar would need to be about 27-1/2 inches. I would really like to put an adjustable track bar on this jeep but no body that I can see even mentions the adjustable length in inches of their track bars. Is this some kind of top secret information or am I missing something, haha. How can I find an adjustable track bar for my jeep that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Do they even make a short one that would work? Any advice would be appreciated.
You can likely just leave it as is. Your axle shifts side to side any time your suspension articulates.

But if your set on buying a custom track bar, reach out to Core 4x4. They can do it. I had them make one for me.

WJCO

Meme King
What did you pay for that? Thanks
It was like 300 bucks several years ago. You can also cut your track bar, put a steel sleeve around it and pound the pieces into the sleeve until you get the right length and then weld the sleeve in place. I worked at a suspension shop and we did that on a lot of custom lifts.

Picture is the Core track bar and my old track bar. It may be hard to see but that old one has been sleeved and welded like I was talking about.

IMG_20171209_160323_802.jpg

gooseman80

The sleeve approach would definitely be a way to re-modify my original stock track bar. Then again, there is something to be said about being able to adjust the track bar while the vehicle is at static ride height. I just adjusted one for my F-350 2 days ago. The sleeve approach would take a few different trial and errors along with the use of a racket trap but nothing I can't handle. Probably my cheapest option as well. WJCO, any ideal what the wall thickness of your sleeve is? Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
The sleeve approach would definitely be a way to re-modify my original stock track bar. Then again, there is something to be said about being able to adjust the track bar while the vehicle is at static ride height. I just adjusted one for my F-350 2 days ago. The sleeve approach would take a few different trial and errors along with the use of a racket trap but nothing I can't handle. Probably my cheapest option as well. WJCO, any ideal what the wall thickness of your sleeve is? Thanks
I can't recall. I built it like 6 years ago. At least .125 though

Top Bottom