Steering Centering

cv2065

Hi all. I just completed a 2.5" lift on my 2022 Wrangler. I also installed a new adjustable front track bar. I'm going to take it out for a spin here shortly, but the jeep logo on the steering wheel is offset to the right from center about 45 degrees. Jeep is virtually brand new so I know it was centered before the lift. I was going to have new tires put on this weekend at Tires Plus and have them re-center the steering wheel, but have new adjustable control arms that I'll probably install next week. Should I still get the steering wheel aligned or wait and have the entire thing aligned after the wheels and LCA install?

TrailHunter

Hooked
The track bar centers the axle left to right... The Drag link (connected to the pitman arm and knuckle) centers the steering wheel. If you have the stock drag link, loosen the 2 bolts on the coupler (near the pitman arm) and slowly turn it until the steering wheel is straight. You will probably have to drive it a bit and re-adjust.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
Hi all. I just completed a 2.5" lift on my 2022 Wrangler. I also installed a new adjustable front track bar. I'm going to take it out for a spin here shortly, but the jeep logo on the steering wheel is offset to the right from center about 45 degrees. Jeep is virtually brand new so I know it was centered before the lift. I was going to have new tires put on this weekend at Tires Plus and have them re-center the steering wheel, but have new adjustable control arms that I'll probably install next week. Should I still get the steering wheel aligned or wait and have the entire thing aligned after the wheels and LCA install?
Any time you lift a solid axle jeep, the steering wheel will be off center and will need to be adjusted.

Upvote 0

onlyone

The track bar centers the axle left to right... The Drag link (connected to the pitman arm and knuckle) centers the steering wheel. If you have the stock drag link, loosen the 2 bolts on the coupler (near the pitman arm) and slowly turn it until the steering wheel is straight. You will probably have to drive it a bit and re-adjust.
FYI these new fan-dangled JLs only have one 15mm bolt now…..;) Not like those ancient JKs….:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
Just to add... it's fairly easy to align the Jeep if you have the patience and know how to use basic tools. Personally I have never takin my Jeep to get an alignment. And as you do future maintenance.. or things get bumped out of position on the trail... parts wear... or you adjust your lift... it's very helpful to be able to adjust things yourself in your driveway.

1. Adjust the Tie Rod so your Toe "IN" is about 1/16". Measure front and back of wheel (tire) until you achieve this.

2. Adjust the Track Bar so the axle is centered on the vehicle.... you can measure the wheel (or center of ball joint) off similar points of the frame on both sides.

3. Adjust the Drag Link so your steering wheel is straight ( A J-scan or similar is very helpful) I plug in the module under the dash and read the settings on my phone app while I'm driving... it will tell you the degree of the steering wheel in real time... so lets say on a flat road while driving straight it reads 8 degrees.... I then stop, leave the steering wheel at 8 degrees and adjust the draglink until it reads 0 degrees. Usually takes a few tries to get it perfect.

4. When you install the Adjustable Control Arms you just need to set the lengths correctly to achieve proper pinion angle. Eddie has some really good write ups on these adjustments which helped me to dial in my rig.

Once you get into it... it's fairly easy.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom