Superchips Flashcal F5 for Jeep JT - worth or are there better options?

JimLee

Hooked
I just switched from flashcal to Tazer. I honestly like the flashcal much better but Tazer has more things you can change, better support, and updates their products far more frequently than flashcal. I hate the Tazer interface, and having to do the two sleep cycle hokey pokey is stupid, but it's a set it and forget it affair for me.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
I have the Tazer, but as far as I've found out so far, Tazer won't let me read or clear DTC codes so I'm looking for a way to do that.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Umm it definitely should.

@Disciple Off Road
I did clear all codes, did the full reboot, waited the time,
Then two cycles of : turned ignition off, opened door slowly then closed it, waited for the dash to go dark, counted to 60, turned ignition on without foot on break, let the codes finish dinging... REPEAT

It seems like it's rethrowing the codes

I get the following:

PTS U0415-00
DASM Module No Response
DTCM UO415-00
ABS C0031-1D
BCM U1514-87
PCM UO418 and U1409

Going to look these up now. I'm wondering if it is rethrowing codes or of these are deeper codes that are not cleared by the Tazer

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Looking at ABS C0031-1D it looks like it's unhappy with the speed sensor that was on the Driver Left where my ujoint exploded. Perhaps it was damagaged. I imagine this code would rethrow itself if cleared and I imagine this code might cascade into lots of the other codes, possibly all of them. I found the following and will replace this sensor and see if that resolves any of these codes. 1684465382567.png

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
For those who want to know, Front wheel speed sensor is

Mopar 68394210AF​

FUN FACT: if your speed sensor goes bad, I found this hack which claims to get you into 4wd which might be needed to get off the trail. I will try this and let you know. 1684465978668.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
Apparently, it is the FAD that prevents use of 4wd when the Front Speed sensor codes are thrown. I'm not sure I like the idea of computer codes being able to keep me from getting into 4wd. Does this go into the Plus column for FAD Delete? Without the FAD it seems there is nothing the computer can do to shut you out of 4wd.

JimLee

Hooked
@Disciple Off Road
I did clear all codes, did the full reboot, waited the time,
Then two cycles of : turned ignition off, opened door slowly then closed it, waited for the dash to go dark, counted to 60, turned ignition on without foot on break, let the codes finish dinging... REPEAT

It seems like it's rethrowing the codes

I get the following:

PTS U0415-00
DASM Module No Response
DTCM UO415-00
ABS C0031-1D
BCM U1514-87
PCM UO418 and U1409

Going to look these up now. I'm wondering if it is rethrowing codes or of these are deeper codes that are not cleared by the Tazer
Some codes you have to drive to clear, they will continually retrigger until the module they are reporting through (like the ABS module) determines the problem no longer exists. After my axle swap my steering wheel was waay out of center and I eventually got an ABS and traction control lights doing a quick test drive. no matter how many times I cleared with Tazer they were there. I had to adjust my drag link and then drive it for about a mile before the lights and codes went away for good. There's one code for sure and maybe 2 that are caused by the Tazer itself. Don't get too hung up on a couple of codes if everything is working good and you've got no warnings on your dash. I get a code everytime I accidentally bump the fog light button because that bumper and fogs are gone, I'm over clearing it. Try clearing them again, make sure you didn't sever a wheel speed sensor and make sure your steering wheel is straight first, do the stupid sleep cycle hokey pokey and then take it for a little drive. It might not clear all of them but I bet it'll clear a couple. One of those codes has to do with the TC, has to do with a selection of Rubicon or non Rubicon TC. I have a sport and that Tazer selection is defaulted to Rubicon, I think that's why I have that code. It doesn't really matter though as my TC works fine and I get no dash lights. Like I said, try driving it a bit, if everything is still going crazy you most likely still have something broken (like a wheel speed sensor for instance).

JimLee

Hooked
Sorry, I was typing when you posted again. Yes, absolutely a wheel speed sensor will cause a lot of if not all of those issues.

1RNGR

Caught the Bug
I know buddy, it was a joke, I'm trying to talk you into buying some one ton axles. Looks like you use your rig hard enough to warrant them.
I have Fusion 4x4 axles on order, but still 9 weeks out. I got the Fusion Elite Kingpin 60 / 80 set. Can't wait to get those axles installed. In the mean time, I really want to get my rig back in working condition. 9 weeks without wheeling would have me thinking about surfing 100' waves and other ways to die.

Brute

Hooked
I have Fusion 4x4 axles on order, but still 9 weeks out. I got the Fusion Elite Kingpin 60 / 80 set. Can't wait to get those axles installed. In the mean time, I really want to get my rig back in working condition. 9 weeks without wheeling would have me thinking about surfing 100' waves and other ways to die.
IMG_8353.jpeg
If you’re looking for other ways to die, I have a few suggestions…

SeaSharp

Another vote for tazer over super chips. I do like the trail dash 2 screen I have on a JKU but newer JL/JT's I'd go tazer to turn off all the stupidity in these things.

Top Bottom