Tire carrier upgrade options?

RCC

I am wanting to upgrade the tire carrier on my JL. It will carry a 35 for now but could end up with a 37.

Any ideas are appreciated.

RCC

With the Rustys tire carrier does anyone know if leaves a gap around the hinge like Evo does?

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Food for thought...if you plan to or already have, removed rear bumper and run bumperless like I and others do, you can run a 37" on the stock tire carrier. 37 will not fit with factory bumper. I have been running a 37 spare on stock carrier for 2 1/2 years now. Only mod, was to put 1" PVC stubs in the holes of the rubber grommets that the spare tire sits on. With my off road rims back spacing, rim/tire is a little farther away than the 33" tire. You want the spare to be touching the nubs to eliminate the wheel from moving while bolted on. I have kept eyes on the door hinges and latch and it has retained it's integrity. I never slam the hatch, I hold onto the handle when closing. If you opt for after market carrier, I am in favor of Rusty's which someone posted here. They appear to put more TLC into the design than other's making similar product.

CalSgt

Hooked
The poison Spider carrier is one I considered, it looks like a bumper mount in most of the pictures but is mounted directly to the frame and looks like it works with or without their bumper. It is tethered to the tailgate so it opens and closes with it, biggest downside for me was cost. Its expensive and I wanted to run a rear bumper so add another 7-800 bucks for the matching PS bumper was the deal breaker.

tire.jpg

ETA: I was wrong, it can not be used without the PS bumper

Brute

Hooked
The poison Spider carrier is one I considered, it looks like a bumper mount in most of the pictures but is mounted directly to the frame and looks like it works with or without their bumper. It is tethered to the tailgate so it opens and closes with it, biggest downside for me was cost. Its expensive and I wanted to run a rear bumper so add another 7-800 bucks for the matching PS bumper was the deal breaker.

View attachment 365306

PS designed a tire carrier that is not compatible with their own bumper?...

Ok, I misread your post...it can only be used with their bumper?

MericaMade

View attachment 365306

I had that bumper, its functional but rattled at the lock mechanism bad. Also the rear bumper was huge and really heavy all around.

Edit: Just noticed your asking for JL, I had on JK and was a slightly different design.

Andy5160

Hooked
With the Rustys tire carrier does anyone know if leaves a gap around the hinge like Evo does?
Check out this thread.

Top Bottom