Top and Bottom Radiator Hose Replacement?

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Last weekend the dealership did a bunch of work on my rig under warranty -- passenger airbag recall, water pump, pulleys, etc . In the process, they reported that the top and bottom radiator hoses are going bad -- technician said they were spongy -- and needed to be replaced.

I declined the service and purchased the parts off Quadratec.

First, is a spongy radiator hose indication that it will fail soon? Wondering if this is par for the course at 50,000 miles.

Second, how hard is the install? My shop which is pretty cheap wants $100 to do the labor which seems pretty reasonable.

rubiDave

Did you do due diligence and inspect them yourself? Are they indeed spongy? I wouldn't think they'd be bad yet on 2015. My Chevy truck went 18 years and 180K on original hoses.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have personally seen hoses go to soft on many different makes and models at work in that mileage timeframe and age. They are super easy to replace and I would recommend doing it yourself. Plus it’s a good idea anyway going into summer to get some fresh coolant running thru the motor.

RCVRY

Last weekend the dealership did a bunch of work on my rig under warranty -- passenger airbag recall, water pump, pulleys, etc . In the process, they reported that the top and bottom radiator hoses are going bad -- technician said they were spongy -- and needed to be replaced.

I declined the service and purchased the parts off Quadratec.

First, is a spongy radiator hose indication that it will fail soon? Wondering if this is par for the course at 50,000 miles.

Second, how hard is the install? My shop which is pretty cheap wants $100 to do the labor which seems pretty reasonable.

The $100 is just for the lower hose. The upper they’ll do for free.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I have personally seen hoses go to soft on many different makes and models at work in that mileage timeframe and age. They are super easy to replace and I would recommend doing it yourself. Plus it’s a good idea anyway going into summer to get some fresh coolant running thru the motor.

Thanks it’s safe security so that’s what I’ll do probably.

rubiDave

Honestly I don’t know the difference .. never really worked on rigs before so have no point of comparison . This is one I can’t learn ...

If your hoses feel spongy or do not quickly return to round after you squeeze them, it is an indication that the rubber is getting old and may fail.* Also, check the ends of the hoses for fraying and cracks.
If it looks like the hose is swollen over or around the clamp that can be an indication that your hose needs to be replaced.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Stealerships suck cock! I had one replace upper hose said it was bad turned out to be radiator that I replaced (Pueblo dealership). My lower hose is still fine at over 155,000. I would do as much as you feel comfortable with doing. Easy to replace. Took my Jeep into another one...Eugene...they fucked up my dash for the air bag recall. Made an appointment for the them time to have them fix that and said fuck it and did it myself.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
If your hoses feel spongy or do not quickly return to round after you squeeze them, it is an indication that the rubber is getting old and may fail.* Also, check the ends of the hoses for fraying and cracks.
If it looks like the hose is swollen over or around the clamp that can be an indication that your hose needs to be replaced.

Thanks Dave . Definitely a little spongy . Ordered some spares and will replace soon. Sucks I just flushed coolant haha

Top Bottom