Transfer Case position switch

jeeeep

Hooked
my 4WD on the dash is lit up all the time but I am able to switch in and out of 4Hi, 4Lo to 2WD no issues.

I have a new position switch and am looking for tips on how to replace it.

I'm thinking I'll need to remove the drive shafts, remove the TC shield and remove the cross member.

I hope that allows it to drop low enough to access the switch to remove it.

has anyone had to replace the TC switch and any tips you can offer?

I sense a lot of swearing coming up if I need to remove the transfer case to remove the switch lol

my 4WD on the dash is lit up all the time but I am able to switch in and out of 4Hi, 4Lo to 2WD no issues.

I have a new position switch and am looking for tips on how to replace it.

I'm thinking I'll need to remove the drive shafts, remove the TC shield and remove the cross member.

I hope that allows it to drop low enough to access the switch to remove it.

has anyone had to replace the TC switch and any tips you can offer?

I sense a lot of swearing coming up if I need to remove the transfer case to remove the switch lol

The transfer switch-sensor is bad.

1. Raise the vehicle and put on jack stands.

2.Disengage the transfer case position sensor connector from the position sensor.

3. Remove the position sensor from the transfer case.

All done! Have a beer

jeeeep

Hooked
The transfer switch-sensor is bad.

1. Raise the vehicle and put on jack stands.

2.Disengage the transfer case position sensor connector from the position sensor.

3. Remove the position sensor from the transfer case.

All done! Have a beer

yeah, I thought it would be that easy but it's on top of the transfer case and I couldn't even get my a wrench up there nor my hand to remove it

yeah, I thought it would be that easy but it's on top of the transfer case and I couldn't even get my a wrench up there nor my hand to remove it

Damn that blows, u will have to drop the transfer case that's really the only choice you have good luck.

No you can't access the sensor on a auto by removing the center console and yes it wouldn't be a bad idea to check those as-well.

Slimebones

WJCO just recently replaced his on their JK and I believe it is an auto. He found a set of short wrenches at Harbor Freight. He posted this up somewhere here. I was able to access this switch with a large crowsfoot and I drive a manual. 1 1/2".

WJCO

Meme King
WJCO just recently replaced his on their JK and I believe it is an auto. He found a set of short wrenches at Harbor Freight. He posted this up somewhere here. I was able to access this switch with a large crowsfoot and I drive a manual. 1 1/2".

Yes. This thread: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/44958-Tcase-leak-shifter-seal

IMG_20171125_095501_335.jpg

These little wrenches are awesome. I've used them for ball joints, fan clutches, etc. Harbor Freight calls them Service Wrenches.

Last edited:

colthoss

Yes. This thread: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/44958-Tcase-leak-shifter-seal

View attachment 283914

These little wrenches are awesome. I've used them for ball joints, fan clutches, etc. Harbor Freight calls them Service Wrenches.

An old thread but it helped me immensely today so I figured I’d add the tool I found on the cheap that’ll get it done and the how I got the connector off pretty easily for anyone else who comes across this.

Harbor Freight sells a 1-1/2” and 1-1/8” “hitch ball wrench” for $8.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-ball-wrench-95494.html

I cut it down to about 8” on the 1-1/2” side to fit up in there.

Secondly, since it’s hard to see how the connector works, there is a “button” at the top of the flat side of the connector. You have to press it pretty hard. To remove the connector, laying almost perpendicular to the Jeep with my head toward the driver’s side, I reached over the top of the T-case from behind it with my right hand to depress the button. With my left I gently pried it from under the portion of the connector with the button up and off with the tiny pry tool in the picture. It came off easily that way.

Attachments

• CEEAB038-23CE-4D9D-9344-EE97A5328BE1.jpg
    CEEAB038-23CE-4D9D-9344-EE97A5328BE1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom