Truck-Lite Question

Boji

So after countlessly reading about how much some of the forum guys love their truck-lites I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair myself. I just had a couple of questions...

1. Is the pulse modulation harness needed?

2. Since I want to protect them would a product such as the Rugged Ridge light guards fit over them?

3. Being in New England how bad are they in the winter since since they don't defrost? (not a deal breaker)

1) they will flicker without the harness
2) they aren't rounded like stock headlights so I don't think so
3) they sell defrosting truck lites now

Boji

1) they will flicker without the harness
2) they aren't rounded like stock headlights so I don't think so
3) they sell defrosting truck lites now

Thanks for the response! :thumb: Glad I asked before purchasing the guards

Bearkat

Yes, the guards do not fit on the Truck-Lites. They are round but just a little larger that stock so the guards I had on would not work when I upgraded to the Truck-Lites. And yes, get the pulse modulation harness.

Hack12

1) I only have the plug-n-play adaptor that they came with and I get no visible flickering at all. :thinking:

2) Nope, RR Euro Guards will not fit with the TruckLites. (They are so pretty looking I was happy to ditch my light guards when I installed mine)

3) I'm in New England too, and I wasn't hassled by them at all last winter. As long as you remove any built up snow around them they will have no problem shining through a layer or two of ice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
1. Is the pulse modulation harness needed?

Some people see the flicker and some don't. I can only really see it in certain conditions like out the corner of my eyes when I'm up against a wall. Needless to say, I don't know if they're "needed" but, they will get rid of the flicker if it bothers you.

2. Since I want to protect them would a product such as the Rugged Ridge light guards fit over them?

As mentioned, no and really, you don't need to guard them. The Truck-Lites are extremely tough.

3. Being in New England how bad are they in the winter since since they don't defrost? (not a deal breaker)

Now that I live in an area that sees snow, I can say that it hasn't really been a problem for me. In harsh conditions, the lenses will develop a skin of ice but, not enough to cut the light enough to matter.

Boji

3) I'm in New England too, and I wasn't hassled by them at all last winter. As long as you remove any built up snow around them they will have no problem shining through a layer or two of ice.

Some people see the flicker and some don't. I can only really see it in certain conditions like out the corner of my eyes when I'm up against a wall. Needless to say, I don't know if they're "needed" but, they will get rid of the flicker if it bothers you.

Now that I live in an area that sees snow, I can say that it hasn't really been a problem for me. In harsh conditions, the lenses will develop a skin of ice but, not enough to cut the light enough to matter.

After having HID's in my truck I know the flickering would drive me crazy. Good to know that ice doesn't affect the truck-lites too badly, my jeeps nearly always garaged anyway throughout the year but just wanted to know for the off day it gets caught out in a storm

I think i'm sold. Thank you everyone for clearing up those last few things

Jersey_Devil

Well everyone answered ur questions but the icing here in the North East is a Lil bad. When driving in the snow this past winter I made it about 3 miles before I saw no light, not even when I got close to the car in front of me. So to combat this I installed ion yellow bulbs in my piaa 520s on my windshield and adjusted them to the exact hight of my headlights, so when it snows I just use parking/factory fog lamps with the PIAA's. Them being halogen they melt the snow uploadfromtaptalk1399930416362.jpg This is how they look during a storm (the PIAA's that is) I wish I took a pic of the iced lights to show how bad it was. But that being said I WOULDNT trade my TL's for any other light out there! Great lights and phenomenal customer service!

Sent from my obama monitoring device

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399930428480.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399930428480.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 311

jhires

(clip...) I wish I took a pic of the iced lights to show how bad it was. But that being said I WOULDNT trade my TL's for any other light out there! Great lights and phenomenal customer service!

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Here are a couple pics of mine after having been on all day while driving in the snow. Other than this, I love them.
20140215_204229085_iOS.jpg
20140215_204202246_iOS.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Reviving thread....so, the flickering everyone sees is it what I see in some of the videos? Like Black Bear JKX in one clip everyone is following each other and I see one in particular their lights seem to be flickering. Could this also be a safety feature as in making you more visible to other motorists? Kinda like motorcycle lights.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Reviving thread....so, the flickering everyone sees is it what I see in some of the videos? Like Black Bear JKX in one clip everyone is following each other and I see one in particular their lights seem to be flickering. Could this also be a safety feature as in making you more visible to other motorists? Kinda like motorcycle lights.

No, it's not even noticeable.

I wouldn't waste the money on the harness.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

As pignajeep said its not even noticeable. I took the harness off that came in the northridge package I got and I couldn't tell a difference.

LasVegasJK

As pignajeep said its not even noticeable. I took the harness off that came in the northridge package I got and I couldn't tell a difference.

Why would you not use the harness? To save $ or is there a technical reason?
I want to upgrade my lights, but I know nothing about these systems.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Why would you not use the harness? To save $ or is there a technical reason?
I want to upgrade my lights, but I know nothing about these systems.

Northridge sells the harness with the lights as a package but really it's not needed. You can just get the lights without the PMA harness and be good to go

LasVegasJK

Northridge sells the harness with the lights as a package but really it's not needed. You can just get the lights without the PMA harness and be good to go

So it's just a "suggested use" part? Seems typical for any electronic upgrade.

dchew

Caught the Bug
I had them without the harness for three years. The only time I noticed the flicker was when pulling up behind someone at a stop light or when it snowed hard. Early this year I got the heated ones because of snow like the pics above. These came with the harness. It's better, but I was fine without it.

Dave

Top Bottom