The Rebuilding of Smokin's 2014 JKUR Build

RMC2

Caught the Bug
You need a bigger garage. :)

I used to have own an about 900 sq ft garage and the house we are renting right now has a 310 sq ft garage. Not only am I jealous of the jeep, but also the garage.

A hard top hoist makes the hard top removal and reinstall a breeze. You will love it.

oGKevin

What type of bracket and lightbar do you have mounted on your 1/4 pounder? I'm looking to do something identical. Looks like a Rigid Industries 20" Spot/Flood Combo but I can't find the mount anywhere.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
What type of bracket and lightbar do you have mounted on your 1/4 pounder? I'm looking to do something identical. Looks like a Rigid Industries 20" Spot/Flood Combo but I can't find the mount anywhere.

It's the Rigid 20" E2. ORE made a custom bracket to go with their fairlead mount.

Just looked through your build thread and all ive got to say is I want 40s... haha Love your rig!

Thanks! Glad I went with 40s too. Almost stuck with 37's.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Looks good.

Did you get the other toys installed? Hi-lift mount, evap skid.

I got the hi-lift mount installed a week ago but can't find my hi-lift after the move. I have no idea how something that big "disappears" but all the boxes are unpacked and it's not in the house. Here is a pic of it without a hi-lift

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420323232.767018.jpg

Today I finally installed the EVO evap skid. I have to say this is easily the most well engineered evap skid in the market (if you have an off the shelf or stock exhaust). I found that most folks could do the install in 15 min without even disconnecting any hoses. IMO it's also one of the nicest looking skids out there.

I found that the install on my rig wasn't so straightforward. Before sending the rig to ORE, I had a custom muffler installed that is much larger than the standard magnaflow or dynomax kits out there. I didn't want the droning and had a large stainless muffler installed. The exhaust is awesome. It doesn't drone and sounds fantastic. Well, it turns out that my evap skid and muffler come in contact so my 15 min install became a 1.5 hour install.

First came the measure once poorly and cut many times cut:

Before:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420322928.445061.jpg
After:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420322997.212179.jpg

Then painted before test fitting:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420323029.303863.jpg

Then realizing I had to cut way more than I thought:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420323068.889015.jpg

Finally installed:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420323098.329536.jpg

My skid probably isn't quite as strong as those who don't have a corner cut off, but it is still supported well and is definitely a ton stronger than the factory skid/mount by itself.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1420323119.849278.jpg

Last edited:

Jackal01

Nice work with the skid plate. Clean work. I guess you should go buy a new hilift and if you find the old one, I'll buy it front you. :thumbup:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
didn't you have a poison spyder tramp stamp before? what did you do what that? also is this an official EVO product? I like that! :thumb:

I did. It's sitting on top of my tool chest right now. This is an official EVO Product. Ordered it from Drew at ORE.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Decided to "upgrade" my power steering fluid reservoir to what it should have been all along. This wasn't done when the rig was at ORE since a mount for the reservoir for the 3.6's wasn't available then. A mount is available now but it has some drawbacks.

Now I can't decide which approach I want to take. Maybe some of you have seen Saddle Tramp's upgrade using the dual battery tray. It's clean, functional and maintains the factory air box. I spent some time talking to him via telephone. It seemed like he ideal way to go as I didn't want to cut a hole in the bottom of my factory air box or replace it. Then I looked into the installation of the MORE dual battery tray and its a bit of a pain in the ass. So my new approach so far will be to...

Ditch this:
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423329043.474618.jpg

Add this using the PSC bracket:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423329070.275652.jpg

And "take a chance" on the factory warranty using a Airaid intake with their sealed box which uses the factory inlet. It's a a few inches shorter than the factory box so it should clear the hoses (this is just a guess). I've read the horror stories on aftermarket intakes, but my thought here is that there is an LS or Hemi inbound within the next 12 months so it's really kind of a non-issue. This way it's a 15 minute upgrade instead of hours pulling the battery, wiring harnesses, fuse box, cutting the factory tray and the MORE tray.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423329610.296465.jpg

Looking to start this tomorrow or Monday....

Smokin.
Do you have 10' ceiling in your garage? Thinking about getting a hoist system for the new house. Just not sure if I have clearance.

Rig looks great BTW.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Smokin.
Do you have 10' ceiling in your garage? Thinking about getting a hoist system for the new house. Just not sure if I have clearance.

Rig looks great BTW.

Yep. It's 10' and change (steps down about 4" from the 10' ceilings inside). The top fully hoisted still allows the hood to open

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423331432.504663.jpg

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Well the AIRRAID box will not fit and the stock air box needs a LOT more modification than what is pictured in the PSC website. Quite honestly, I am a bit disappointed by PSC based on the conversation I had with them on the phone. I have no idea how they managed to position the reservoir in such a way that there was only a small cut for the hoses. It seems that there was at least one or two other guys on this forum who had similar installation difficulties. Now i need to decide whether to just go ahead and do the battery tray or just try a mopar intake that my buddy is willing to give to me for close to nothing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom