The Rebuilding of Smokin's 2014 JKUR Build

upnover

What did PSC say to do with the resi hoses? Does it require more cutting to the stock box? Did they not tell you how they mounted that way?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
What did PSC say to do with the resi hoses? Does it require more cutting to the stock box? Did they not tell you how they mounted that way?

PSC told me that the cutting was limited to sectioning an end of the air box for the feed hose. I tinkered with it for another 45 min tonight and realized that the mounting bracket for the reservoir needed to be modified substantially. Maybe it was user error but I elongated the mounting hole/slot about 1/4", ground down a corner of the bracket and added a 1/2" spacer under the bracket to keep the PSC billet reservoir cap from interfering with the radiator cap and to keep it from rubbing against the radiator overflow tube. It all fits now but in my opinion it felt like I was custom fitting a bracket. No big deal but it's not the 2 hour bolt in and bleed/burp the power steering install I was anticipating. At the end of the day I should have just done what SaddleTramp did and did a dual battery tray. Oh well. Live and learn.

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
So did you actually end up cutting into your air box like PSC shows or did you find a way around that?

pk18584_1.jpg

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
sucks no one has come up with a good spot for that yet that isn't a ton of work, one reason (other than funds) why I have been waiting to upgrade but I do think I could really use it after getting my wheels stuck a few times now when I need to turn.

big dr

I disagree with everyone else on this thread who has complimented your jeep! I hate it!!! Sell me your tires!!!:bleh:

Sorry to kick you in the nuts while you struggle with the PSC!:beer:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
So did you actually end up cutting into your air box like PSC shows or did you find a way around that?

View attachment 123784

I have decided not to butcher the stock airbox. If installed with the supplied PSC bracket, I would have to trim a LOT more than the edge for that one hose. I would have HUGE pieces of the bottom half missing. I would then have to do fiberglass repair or just leave it with gaping holes. I would have to cut openings for both hoses and section off the forward facing side of the air box to accommodate the side of the reservoir. I don't know how those who actually use the PSC mount without modifications are able to open the reservoir cap without removing the radiator cap first, or how they kept it from rubbing against the radiator/overflow hose/bib. I was able to avoid contact with the cooling system components but with some changes to the bracket.

So far I haven't done much other than modify a bracket and try to fit things. I have been fiddling with it a "bit here and a bit there" each evening so I haven't gotten very far. Realized I was missing some -6AN fittings and some 3/8 hose so I've been making runs to the parts store and waiting for deliveries from Amazon. I think I've decided to "eff it" and use a Mopar intake. I have a picture of the planned cut outs on the metal heat shield for the hoses. If there is dirt in the engine and some of the others can say I told you so.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423603545.960197.jpg

sucks no one has come up with a good spot for that yet that isn't a ton of work, one reason (other than funds) why I have been waiting to upgrade but I do think I could really use it after getting my wheels stuck a few times now when I need to turn.

Someone has. SaddleTramp came up with a mounting solution that uses a dual battery tray. I didn't go that way since I would have to rewire half my aftermarket items and It looked like a LOT of work to mess with the fuse box and cut the stock tray. In hindsight that may have been easier.

Last edited:

Redrubi1

I like the simple mounting bracket you made to bolt on the billet PSC bracket/clamp. Looks great and allows you to rotate the reservoir.

Where did you run the vent line on the top of the reservoir to?
It runs straight down just in front of the axle.

JRied

Ok just read all 15 pages of this. You my friend have an awesome Jeep, you bought everything on my wish list and built it which is crazy to think of. Nicely done. Get her dirty and hush up some of the negative Nancy's on here...

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Power steering update is done. Against the advice of many here I went with the Mopar intake which solved the fitment issues with the factory box, but the heat shield still needed some trimming.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423724928.500567.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423724948.350205.jpg

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
All the options out there and you went with the one that has been proven to allow dirt into the motor. Lol

I suppose I haven't bought into the assumption that the air filter caused the failure. Nor do I think that any one of these systems is truly materially different than the other intakes. Maybe the intakes with a sealed box offer more insurance against water and a bit more insulation from engine heat, but that's about it. They are more or less a thermoplastic or mandrel bent metal tube with a hole for a temp sensor and an accommodation for a vacuum hose. The filter elements are near identical and If one filter is better than he other, order one to fit the diameter of the tube. Done.

If I bought into the assumption that the intake was the cause for engine failure, then we should all buy into any claims that lifts, gears etc could do the same. Perhaps that's just what Chrysler says. That's also the same company as voiding warranties for having lifted rigs. How do we know that the dirt in the engine wasn't caused by casting sand or some other factory/manufacturing issue? Now, maybe I'm wrong and in a few months all you can say "I told you so". If that's the case I'll have a really cool v6 to use as the coffee table base man cave. I just see so many other off-road race running K & N type filter elements. Was out with some buddies in buggies and raptors last weekend and each rig ran similar filter elements in very dusty environments. They don't have engines failing left and right. Nor are they discovering a bunch of sucked in crap in the intake when they maintenance their vehicles. I have had a K&N and filter on virtually every half of the vehicles I have owned without problems. If I'm wrong I'll have to live with it. I just don't think I am.

It's temp till the hemi swap. It's only money and now it looks cool. 😳

Yes it's likely temp but I don't think it looks that cool. Was actually gonna peel the Mopar sticker off the tube and paint it black.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I'm sure TTFHell can attest that his engine ingested copious amounts of dirt and not casting sand. But you'll be fine with as much as your vehicle hits dirt.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would suggest adding some trim to the heat shield so the lines don't rub through. Looking clean tho :thumb:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I'm sure TTFHell can attest that his engine ingested copious amounts of dirt and not casting sand. But you'll be fine with as much as your vehicle hits dirt.

In your mind, my jeep sits in a temperature controlled hermetically sealed bubble. The truth is that I probably drive my jeep 1/3 or less of what most do here. It's not my daily driver and I've been busy to go wheeling or off-road in general as much as I would like. You probably know TTFHell's situation well and I may be a jackass for ignoring good advice. But it's also possible that the dealer installed intake didn't have the clamps on tight, a silicone joint could have been installed crooked or the have the air temp sensor bung wasnt fully seated. My clamps are on very tight. has a bead of RTV around it.

When it sees dirt but probably more along the lines of the kind of dirt I should allegedly be avoiding. I'll inspect after each run and if there is dirt, I'll consider another setup.

On the flip side with any luck I'm hoping to have a v8 by summer so ill have another dirt ingesting engine destroying K&N setup on a hemi or LS anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom