The Rebuilding of Smokin's 2014 JKUR Build

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Any pics of this wheeling trip you went on? Been anxious for updates over here.

i heard the speed bumps at the mall where no issue at all now with his new set up :cheesy:

in all seriousness i would like to see pics of the trip if he did go. i want to see it in action

bkac

Caught the Bug
It's been raining down there a lot, maybe it got cancelled, Idk...

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

His trip was local to Texas, right? I think he said around Huntsville? If so the weather here has been perfect so that shouldn't have held him up if he did go. I am anxious to see his rig in action...seeing it person was a tease on pavement!

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
You are probably right... wouldn't want to get any mud on those mud terrains. :crazyeyes:

Some of you need to chill. I Didn't go to Huntsville two weeks ago. I also didn't go to Dallas this weekend as planned. Didn't have time to put my new soft top on. Didn't have time to install my CB radio or my VHF radio. I didn't even have time to stop by the car wash to have the jeep washed until today. I really haven't had time to do much of anything jeep other than order shit from Amazon's mobile app and read this forum a few times a day when I am multitasking.

The insane housing market in Houston has made it near impossible to get the trades to show on my home under construction. There have been MAJOR delays with the home ....schedule slip after schedule slip to the point that two close/completion dates have been missed which is causing other issues. Until a few weeks ago, I have been trying to keep calm and let my general contractor handle the issues. With the latest round of schedule issues, I made a decision shortly before going to wheeling to prioritize the home and used the time to do what I could to put the project back on schedule. Its been my day job coupled with a full time job getting this project back on schedule.

Last week, I was able to take a short trip to Hidden Falls and get some time in. Got a few hours of wheeling in but had to head home early to take care of house issues. I have some pics when I got out of the jeep to wait for others, but no action pics of myself. I've been nagging a friend's wife for the pics she got from her camera of my rig in action. She has all the pics of the entire group's outing and others have been asking too... hopefully I will be getting something soon.

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Still waiting for action pics from last weekend. If I knew it was going to take over a week to have pics uploaded from a camera to a computer I would have handed another person my phone.

View attachment 106531

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414133852.173056.jpg

Hopefully I'll have something soon.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Lol I hope you understand that I was only teasing you. I can only see one of your pictures but I am still anxiously waiting for the rest. :yup:

How did you like thr performance compared to your old setup?

Loading please wait....

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Lol I hope you understand that I was only teasing you. I can only see one of your pictures but I am still anxiously waiting for the rest. :yup:

How did you like thr performance compared to your old setup?

Loading please wait....

The rig was fantastic on the rocks. Crazy articulation. Was able to take more difficult lines that I wasn't able to do before. Flex was incredible and it seems to "bounce" over obstacles where others get stuck. I wasn't able to test it at speed since the off-road park has a 15mph speed limit on the roads and I wasn't able to find stretches to open it up. Hopefully I can test that soon.

Only two MINOR "discoveries" were that I discovered my ARB compressor has a small leak (cycles every 30-40 seconds) with lockers engaged and my turning radius on the trail is quite a bit larger than smaller rigs.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Spent Friday evening and this morning installing my CB Radio and Trektop NX.

Install for the cb was pretty straightforward. I got a Uniden Bearcat 980 from Amazon, and the firestik 2' antenna. Seems to work ok but I'll try a 3' with a quick disconnect. I was able to route the coax into the hole behind the EVO tire carrier hinges and then into the cab. Pretty pleased with the way the wiring turned out.

The Twill Trektop NX is simply awesome. No flapping whatsoever with the light at at any speed...even at 90mph. The bar for the bottom of the rear window doesn't seem to want to go into the clips. Gonna try the mopar one to see if it works any better. Also had to ditch my full length spiderweb shade since it wouldn't work with the trektop straps. Gonna order a spiderweb JKinki on Monday.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414262913.368881.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414262945.402792.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414262962.198230.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1414262979.853532.jpg

Jorsn

How's the day to day driving? Is the steering pretty responsive? Suspension dialed in? How's the braking?

bkac

Caught the Bug
Make sure your clips are not on the wrong sides for the rear tailgate bar. This will cause it to be hard to get the bar to go in properly. Don't ask me how I know this, Lol

JAGS

Hooked
There's 2 sure fire ways to have that money as well.... :yup: :thumb:

1- Marry or be born into wealth

2- Do what it takes to earn it

(most of us have to do the latter)

Yes I agree. I am in the #2 crowd as well.

Sometimes I like to pretend I'm in the first group. Buy random shit just for the hell of it. Just to see what it feels like. 😉 😃

Fast forward when the CC bill comes and I'm like WTF was I thinking. Lol. Then I work my ass off!!! Knock on wood, never been in debt and never had mommy/daddy pay a bill. All things considered, I think hard work builds character and humility. Things I'd rather pass down to my kids, than a check book.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Make sure your clips are not on the wrong sides for the rear tailgate bar. This will cause it to be hard to get the bar to go in properly. Don't ask me how I know this, Lol

Gonna go check this now....

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
How's the day to day driving? Is the steering pretty responsive? Suspension dialed in? How's the braking?
Day to day driving is fantastic. I mean REALLY fantastic. You would never guess you are driving around on a lifted rig on 40's with the kinds of capabilities that this vehicle has. Kudos to Offroad Evolution for building me one fantastic vehicle.

From a "pickup and acceleration" perspective, it is about the same with 40's and 5:38's as when I had 37's and 4:88's. Ride quality is fantastic and it handles quite a bit better on most every day road conditions. The wider stance takes a bit to get used to but it is definitely helpful in taking turns faster Steering is responsive, and it makes turns like a stock rig. When I took the Jeep wheeling last week I did notice that the turning radius is quite a bit larger thank smaller jeeps. I often had to do a 3 point turn on a switch back where others could navigate the turn with one try. Its not that big of a deal, but was something that is "different".

Suspension is dialed in. No rattles or squeaks. It tracks perfectly straight. It handles all bumps fantastically. The crazy part is that he faster you go the better it gets.

Braking is pretty good. All four brakes were upgraded. I am satisfied with braking performance and its pretty damned good for a vehicle trying to stop that much rotating mass.

Went and checked and my clips are in the right way. I had read somewhere on this forum that the mopar rear bar/clips have a better fit. They worked fantastic on my OEM premium soft top. This is the only minor issue with this top so I figure its worth trying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom