The Rebuilding of Smokin's 2014 JKUR Build

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
X2. As a business man one needs to capture ROI sooner than later before depreciation set in.

Wouldn't build a new house and not move in right. 

- Jason

As long as Houston doesn't get some severely f'd up weather, the plan is to take it out next weekend. Will post pics.

Speaking of building houses, that's the life event that became reality while my rig was at ORE. Its been time consuming and spare cycles are in short supply - keeping me from wheeling the jeep, but this weekend I have a pass.

Last edited:

kyro

just read the whole thread:thumb:

and man what a beast you have built Smokin

i wish we could get away with those kind of mods down here

well done it is bad ass:clap2::clap2:

2013CGJKU

As long as Houston doesn't get some severely f'd up weather, the plan is to take it out next weekend. Will post pics.

Speaking of building houses, that's the life event that became reality while my rig was at ORE. Its been time consuming and spare cycles are in short supply - keeping me from wheeling the jeep, but this weekend I have a pass.

Where you headed?

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Where you headed?

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

Not 100% sure on the location. Was gonna hit up some high speed trails with the local raptor crew. So far it's between Lone Star Offroad Park or Texas Offroad ranch in Huntsville. On the 16th a good sized jeep group is headed to hidden falls but I'll be a week away from closing on my new casa with a million loose ends and that may not be the smartest move if I want to maintain peace at home.

JaySC

I'll roll around with this for a bit and see how I really end up using it before I switch to something else. If I end up using it like the way Its panning out, It sounds like the Trektop NX in twill will be perfect. Seems like the main functional differences will be a lower overall height for the Trektop but a smaller sun rider opening. But, $1300!!! Damn! NOTHING on these rigs are cheap.
I've been running the Trektop NX with the 50" Rigid lightbar for a couple of years now...you get used to the flapping and to some extent, the cabin pressure. I've tried a similar mod to alleviate the flapping and it's just not worth the time or effort, in my opinion. It's a jeep so I don't expect things to be quiet. I just have fun with my jeep and don't really worry about all the creature comforts.

Also, I'm not sure what long rifles you are transporting, but I haven't had any issues hauling around 3 rifles at a time along with my other gear in the Tuffy security deck.

Mdrnizd

I've been running the Trektop NX with the 50" Rigid lightbar for a couple of years now...you get used to the flapping and to some extent, the cabin pressure. I've tried a similar mod to alleviate the flapping and it's just not worth the time or effort, in my opinion. It's a jeep so I don't expect things to be quiet. I just have fun with my jeep and don't really worry about all the creature comforts.

Also, I'm not sure what long rifles you are transporting, but I haven't had any issues hauling around 3 rifles at a time along with my other gear in the Tuffy security deck.

Does anyone have any fixes for all of the cabin pressure in a jeep? It does get annoying on a long trip.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
No, they make the trek top nx in twill.
Probably what I'll go with.

Well my soft top was a short lived mod. Threw it on Craigslist and had it sold within a few hours. The items I didn't like started to bother me more and more.

1) Height. Though I had known that the hoops to factory soft top adds height to the rig, I didn't take this into consideration. The additional 3" or so it added made it a PITA from a utility perspective. My previous 6'8" jeep was now pretty much a 7' rig.

2) Looks. The sun rider function worked nicely, but the rig IMO looked horrible with all that fabric bunched up on the roof.

3) Functionality. Yes, the top came all the way down, but it just sat as a bunched up mess on top of the Tuffy Deck. End of the world? No, but it looked a fabric company vomited wind flapping black fabric on my deck lid. Wasn't bad with the deck lid removed but then the Jeep wasn't secure at all. At the end of the day, knew I was going to leave it up or use the sun rider function. I couldn't rationalize that when I already have a hard top which could duplicate that function with the removable freedom panels and just a few more pounds.

4)Bestop Trektop NX. With the Trektop NX available in Twill fabric, I thought it might :thinking: be the closest thing to perfect in the marketplace now. Still has the sun rider option, but the rear windows come off to make it a bikini top and the fastback rear looks fantastic. Ordered one that should be here next week. I just dunno when I'll have time to install it for a while after this week.

The only issues I can think of are that the flapping caused by the 50" light bar will still probably be there. I don't believe Mopar or Rugged Ridge Make half door windows with the twill fabric. When I buy half doors, the tops will never match.

Last edited:

Hobolobo

Well my soft top was a short lived mod. Threw it on Craigslist and had it sold within a few hours. The items I didn't like started to bother me more and more.

1) Height. Though I had known that the hoops to factory soft top adds height to the rig, I didn't take this into consideration. The additional 3" or so it added made it a PITA from a utility perspective. My previous 6'8" jeep was now pretty much a 7' rig.

2) Looks. The sun rider function worked nicely, but the rig IMO looked horrible with all that fabric bunched up on the roof.

3) Functionality. Yes, the top came all the way down, but it just sat as a bunched up mess on top of the Tuffy Deck. End of the world? No, but it looked a fabric company vomited wind flapping black fabric on my deck lid. Wasn't bad with the deck lid removed but then the Jeep wasn't secure at all. At the end of the day, knew I was going to leave it up or use the sun rider function. I couldn't rationalize that when I already have a hard top which could duplicate that function with the removable freedom panels and just a few more pounds.

4)Bestop Trektop NX. With the Trektop NX available in Twill fabric, I thought it might :thinking: be the closest thing to perfect in the marketplace now. Still has the sun rider option, but the rear windows come off to make it a bikini top and the fastback rear looks fantastic. Ordered one that should be here next week. I just dunno when I'll have time to install it for a while after this week.

The only issues I can think of are that the flapping caused by the 50" light bar will still probably be there. I don't believe Mopar or Rugged Ridge Make half door windows with the twill fabric. When I buy half doors, the tops will never match.

I think bestop makes half door uppers that match. Not sure tho.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you bitch this much about fitment of a soft top don't buy the rugged ridge half doors. The uppers don't fit perfectly out of the box. They fit more like OJ's glove.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
If you bitch this much about fitment of a soft top don't buy the rugged ridge half doors. The uppers don't fit perfectly out of the box. They fit more like OJ's glove.

Ive long accepted that the uppers for half doors are a "I'm caught or will get caught in the rain" kind of part. Not considering it for year round use. I've heard the Mopars fit better but there's no way I'll pay the difference in price. Will be at least a few months before I go and dabble with that mod. Need to slow my roll with the mods big time and keep the peace in the home for a bit.

JAGS

Hooked

So you sold a premium soft top for these reasons?!?!? Why not just take the soft top off all together if running topless for any period of time. That's what I do and have done numerous times this summer. Super easy.

IMHO this was a bad move as your expectations are way too high. The premium top is bad ass. It is a jeep and shit like fitment and flap and bunchy fabric will not matter when it matters.

I'm not sure you'll be happy with the NX either, so maybe run the hard top or no top.

- Jason

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
So you sold a premium soft top for these reasons?!?!? Why not just take the soft top off all together if running topless for any period of time. That's what I do and have done numerous times this summer. Super easy.

IMHO this was a bad move as your expectations are way too high. The premium top is bad ass. It is a jeep and shit like fitment and flap and bunchy fabric will not matter when it matters.

I'm not sure you'll be happy with the NX either, so maybe run the hard top or no top.

- Jason

Been running topless for a few weeks and have been digging it other than getting caught in freak southeast Texas rain storms a few times.

Perhaps the tone of my post was too damned negative. The OEM premium top is definitely well made and I don't recall complaining about fitment. Unless I ditch my light bar I'll live with flapping in any top. Punchline is that after trying out the OEM top I realized that I prefer the Trektop given the choice (fastback looks, lower, no hoops, lower riding sun rider) Didn't lose a dime in the process of buying and selling but got to try out a significant jeep accessory that I hadn't owned before.

If I'm wrong (clearly won't be the first time) someone is gonna get a good deal on a near new trektop.

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The trektop will flap and it will be noisy with your lightbar. I know someone looking for a trektop so when you don't like it let me know so they can buy it.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
The trektop will flap and it will be noisy with your lightbar. I know someone looking for a trektop so when you don't like it let me know so they can buy it.

As long as I have that damned light bar everything is gonna sound like I just released a dozen pre-schoolers opening 50 bags of plastic candy wrappers over my head.

That light bar has been a source of minor irritation since I've bought it and is in more jeopardy of getting a classified ad than anything else on the rig.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Quick turn around on the soft top. By chance, on the sun rider top, did you fold it back right? You have to fold it a certain way or it's bunched up.

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Quick turn around on the soft top. By chance, on the sun rider top, did you find it back right? You have to fold it a certain way or it's bunched up.

Yep it was folded back correctly. If it's done incorrectly it also catches the wind like a sail.

JAGS

Hooked
Quick turn around on the soft top. By chance, on the sun rider top, did you fold it back right? You have to fold it a certain way or it's bunched up.

The premium top is a little different than the standard, but nothing I've worried that much about, or has prevented me from running it. Fabric doesn't bunch up quite the same, but not a big deal for me.

I've used just the sunrider feature, and had it folded down for a quick topless trip down the coast. If weather is good and I'm running topless for any period of time, I just take the whole thing off and store in the garage.

Top Bottom