The Rebuilding of Smokin's 2014 JKUR Build

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
:clap2:

I'm planning on doing something similar (ORE DTD build all the way from Houston) Assuming there isn't a legit EVO dealer closer when the time comes. Awesome Jeep! :daydream:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
:clap2:

I'm planning on doing something similar (ORE DTD build all the way from Houston) Assuming there isn't a legit EVO dealer closer when the time comes. Awesome Jeep! :daydream:

There are a few shops that were willing to do the install. One (Brave) had done an install before and quoted me an overall labor charge substantially higher than what I paid to ORE. The other shop had not tried to do one before, but was very wiling to do the install. I didn't want to be a guinea pig and test bed on such a large expenditure. I may be wrong but Trail Jeeps in Colorado may be the closest shop with the necessary experience to pull it off. For me, it was worth a few extra hundred miles of driving to go straight to the source.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Two nights ago I decided to take the top off. The open access to the cargo area really started to bother me. Ran out and got a Tuffy Security Deck.

Impressions are that it's an easy install. Pretty smart design other than he fact that I have to take everything out when I put my hard top back on. That much is a bit of an irritating design but that's my only complaint so far.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704051.232174.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1411704067.443375.jpg

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
So why exactly do you have to take everything out to reinstall the hard top? :thinking:

Just based off their instructions and a few jeep forum posts. The bracket sits on top of the tub where the hard top sits. Perhaps it causes a leak? Someone tell me I'm wrong and I'll be happy (or be pissed off when my shit is leaking).

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
first off, bad ass Jeep!
I just bought the Tuffy security deck and will be installing it this weekend, I wasn't aware it didn't work well with the hard top. Let us know how it fits with the hard top on if you don't take it out to re-install the top?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
first off, bad ass Jeep!
I just bought the Tuffy security deck and will be installing it this weekend, I wasn't aware it didn't work well with the hard top. Let us know how it fits with the hard top on if you don't take it out to re-install the top?

Thanks. I just called Tuffy's technical support and they told me that when I reinstall the top I need to:

1) remove the lid
2) remove the four wing nuts holding the rear panel and remove the rear panel.
3) remove the four fasteners holding the brackets to the tub and reinstall over the hard too after the top is placed on top of the tub.

Basically it's every bit as painful as I was imagining since you have to remove everything. At least you don't have to re-adjust and reassemble the brackets. I am guessing that most aftermarket deck lids will have the same problem except the "Plastix" box that Genright sells. I just didn't like the way that one looks.

Overall I'm still happy with the purchase. Four wing nuts and I can remove the rear lid for my long guns. It also doesn't interfere with the Poison Spyder C-pillar kit at all (unlike the Aries kit). It may not be the "perfect solution" but it's still probably the best one out there that isn't a complete one-off custom

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Sometimes just because it's more expensive doesn't mean it's better.

You're 100% right. Had I even known about this one, or the limitations/differences on the one I purchased, I may have made a different choice. The ability to tilt the lid up isn't really a material benefit for me. Ease of removal and to accommodate switching of top/no-top are key.

Edit: looking at the other model's instructions, the 275 model I got will allow for removal of the rear lid with four thumb screws which is nice when using it with the hard top and carrying longer/oversized cargo

Last edited:

trailless

Caught the Bug
Alright, I'll be the one to ask for what everyone is wanting to see...

When are we going to see a video of you bombing through the Texas desert!?!?! :brows:

2013CGJKU

When are we going to see a video of you bombing through the Texas desert!?!?! :brows:

Or the dune-y (if that's a word... haha!) Beaches down south of the city!

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

Soon! Decided to start building a new home a few weeks ago. Between that and work, the weekends have been consumed. Hoping to hit it hard in October.

SKT

Great build - really like the 'after' look of your rig!

Any more pics would be greatly appreciated.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I was running around in Houston topless for the last two weeks enjoying the break from our steam sauna weather and got caught in the rain twice.

After spending an hour hiding out at a gas station, I decided that a soft top was in order. Looked at getting a Trektop NX since I like the way they look but wanted something that could be put up and taken down quickly. Ended up picking up a Premium Factory soft top off of a 2014 JKUR from another member here yesterday afternoon.

Install was a bit less straightforward than I thought since the front bracket had to be modified to accommodate the Rock Hard Sport Cage front cross bracket. Beyond that, I also realized that I need to move my Powertank to accommodate the soft top brackets on the rear factory rollbar. Considering mourning it on top of my Tuffy deck lid.

Initial impressions are good but I think my 50" light bar causes some flapping at 70+ mph. Damned light bar is noisy and causes flapping. Makes me reconsider having it all together.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1412535902.111797.jpg

Top Bottom