Alaska Off-Road Warriors

CanadianJK

The important thing is that Smokinjoe gave us a link to that overland video. Not a lot of actual wheeling footage, but it's great to watch!

holy_crap

I think the show is funny as shit. The two dudes on the old beat up land cruiser are my favorites. Oh, and how about the "SuperJeep" with that pos home built bumper, ha ha ha... I'd like to know more about his 20k lb engine driven winch though, seems pretty cool and fast.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I think the show is funny as shit. The two dudes on the old beat up land cruiser are my favorites. Oh, and how about the "SuperJeep" with that pos home built bumper, ha ha ha... I'd like to know more about his 20k lb engine driven winch though, seems pretty cool and fast.

I was gonna say, I've never seen that before, an engine powered winch essentially.

David1tontj

I was gonna say, I've never seen that before, an engine powered winch essentially.

It's called a PTO winch (power take off)

They used to be super common.
The plus side to a PTO is that they don't kill your battery, and they seem to be fast.

Down side is if your rig is dead- so is your winch. I've winched myself upright after a flop before, and that was with my electric winch that did not require my rig to be running. Big plus for me.

Edit- I think most tow trucks use PTO winches. And while we're at it- most tow trucks run Ramsey winches 😁

Last edited:

Wardell

Who has watched Episode 3? A few tires eaten up in probably the worst place to have to change them: mucky muskeg full of rough rocks. They even have to go back and help recover one of the teams. Also, as the title suggests, one of the teams won't be able to continue to the next episode... I just won't say who yet so I don't spoil it too much for anyone.

I think the series is picking up. They don't seem quite as reckless as they did at the start. I think the more difficult terrain is forcing them to be a bit more serious about what they are doing and careful about their rigs. Thoughts?

EZ-E

Yea I watched it last night, it was better than the first two; like you said, hopefully it keeps up for the next couple episodes.

holy_crap

I actually enjoy this show. One thing I've noticed is the lack of safety, other than Shae and Pete, no one seems to know what a seat belt is, Butch is constantly bouncing and hitting his head on the roof. Also, notice when they winch that they stand almost next to the line at full tension or even behind the line without using any line dampening.

I wish there was a behind the scenes clip showing what the camera crew drives, now that would be a show.

Wardell

I actually enjoy this show. One thing I've noticed is the lack of safety, other than Shae and Pete, no one seems to know what a seat belt is, Butch is constantly bouncing and hitting his head on the roof. Also, notice when they winch that they stand almost next to the line at full tension or even behind the line without using any line dampening.

I wish there was a behind the scenes clip showing what the camera crew drives, now that would be a show.

I noticed that Rover 1 had a winch dampener in the first episode when they were stuck in the sand, but I don't remember seeing it after that. Maybe they lost it? You're right though, they stand way too close to the lines when they are under tension. It's almost like they've never seen one snap before.

And from the previews, it looks like Butch is going to learn his seat belt lesson the hard way... though he should have when he whacked his head hard on the 2nd day.

Oh, does anyone know what was going on with Shea and Pete's rig at the end? One of them thought it might be a rock in the hub, but they didn't show them actually find the source of the sound. At least not yet.

Oregonjeeper

Ten minutes into the show, and my ten year old is making fun them.

When one of the key mods on one of the 4 runners is a "posi lock" differential..... I'd like to see Moby or one of the other really built rigs do this run.

Smart Kid my 12 year old was laughing at them too.. :thumb:

Wardell

It looks like members of the Super Jeep team are members of the Pirate4x4 forum. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/1920177-alaskan-off-road-warriors.html

Yup, Carl is on there. And from the looks of the "main thread" they have linked in there Glen from the Rover 1 team is also a member. Maybe it's just me, but I'd have pictured the Leigh brothers or the War Waggon team that would be part of that group before the others...

I don't know why, morbid curiosity I guess, but I read a few pages of that thread. I read this one guy's posts thought it was funny enough to share:

I've lost all faith in 4x4 shows on television. If its a rig being built, they don't show mention the 6+ hours of kicking the part around the shop trying to make it fit. If its wheeling, they don't mention how it took them 5h to to extract the rig after snapping a knuckle and putting a softball hole in the oil pan.

And when someone suggested that guy was doing it wrong...

No, I'm being realistic. You're telling us that everything you've done to your rig has bolted right in and fit the first time? No cutting something off then rewelding? Chevy motors, to Dodge transmissions, to Ford axles, all fit no issues at all? No headaches when wiring your dash or fuel injection?

When on the trail, never had a rollover? No broken parts 15m into your trip? Bringing that one guy with a 6000# Chevy with 38s on ten bolts with a carb'd motor? No snapped drive shafts, snapped belts, or fuel issues 15 miles into the wood?

Sounds to me like your doing it wrong.

So... taking parts that were never made to work together, spending hours forcing them to fit, and having them break 15 minutes into the trip is doing it right?

Note to self, don't waste time looking at that forum... now I have a headache...

Last edited:

Wardell

Well, episode 4 is out. Everyone gets stuck in the muskeg a few times this episode. They are up past the Boreal forests now, so there are very few trees to winch to, and any they can find are pretty scrawny. The Super Jeep team has a Pull-Pal (the narrator calls it a land anchor) that they bring out a few times. Even it has trouble digging in, but with trial and error they can get it to work. Near the end, there is a spot where everyone gets stuck, and Carl lets all the teams use it to get out. After seeing that in use, I'm definitely going to get one. Up here I'll need it.

The two 4-Runners make a pact to help each other get unstuck and keep going, which seems pretty prudent considering they keep getting stuck in the same places.

Also, this is the episode where Butch gets his head whacked hard on the windshield. He's actually knocked out for a minute or two (hard to say exactly how long due to editing, but he comes to as Bill is radioing for help). Then he hits his head again closer to the end, though it's quick and not as hard. If Bill hadn't said, "Watch your head," I probably would have missed it. Somebody should make a meme of this... A mullet is not a helmet! So, wear your damn seatbelt!

Also, more drama, mostly centred around the brothers. Almost run over? Butchy? Man, these guys are sketchy...

Top Bottom