Help Me Deciede What Tires to Get for My Rubicon - Fuel or Beadlocks

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Sorry for late responses just read whole thread. Here is some of my feedback.

1) The methods trap mud and water behind the ring also. Most of it slings out once you drive but it definitely builds up behind the ring. I'd say it's a little less than my buddies slabs but not much.

2) don't go wider than 13.5" for sure. I have 13.5" wide 37s and they ruB frame pretty good at full lock and compressed.

3) I like to play in the rocks. The 105 rings do gouge pretty easily but it has never gotten to where it hits the bolt head or prevents maintenance. I could see it happening in the long term maybe. That being said, several of my wheeling buddies run slabs. The rings on the slabs are much thicker, wider, and stronger. I have many more gouges than any of them running same trails and lines. The bolts on the slabs are also much bigger and stronger. And the completely recessed Allen heads look like they would be much harder to damage.

4) it might be a mute point but the 17x9 method 105s with 5x5 and 3.5 BS are made specifically for the JK and are hub centric. Less load on the wheel studs. I say might be mute because if you properly install the wheel the load shouldn't be on the studs anyway. But it is nice to know the hub is also centering the wheel at installation.

I was between the slabs and the methods when I bought mine. Could have gotten both for same price. I chose the methods because I loved the looks of them and since several of my friends have slabs I wanted something different. Now several of them have methods too, go figure. Both are great wheels and I'm sure you would do fine with either. Looks aside I would definitely say the slabs are a stronger wheel in regard to bead ring and fastening but the method isn't bad by any means. Just go with what you like. Unless you plan to spend 90% of your time wheelin in the rocks then I'd lean towards slabs.

Something else to be thought about is how wheel weights can be fitted. The Mothods are dished more which will allow for wheel weights to be pushed further to the outside. This is important for tires that tend to have a high lateral imbalance like the MTRs that I run.

TangoJk

Definitely like the look of the method. Heard pretty solid reviews on them. A bit pricey.

Last edited:

Randonizer

Sorry for late responses just read whole thread. Here is some of my feedback.

1) The methods trap mud and water behind the ring also. Most of it slings out once you drive but it definitely builds up behind the ring. I'd say it's a little less than my buddies slabs but not much.

2) don't go wider than 13.5" for sure. I have 13.5" wide 37s and they ruB frame pretty good at full lock and compressed.

3) I like to play in the rocks. The 105 rings do gouge pretty easily but it has never gotten to where it hits the bolt head or prevents maintenance. I could see it happening in the long term maybe. That being said, several of my wheeling buddies run slabs. The rings on the slabs are much thicker, wider, and stronger. I have many more gouges than any of them running same trails and lines. The bolts on the slabs are also much bigger and stronger. And the completely recessed Allen heads look like they would be much harder to damage.

4) it might be a mute point but the 17x9 method 105s with 5x5 and 3.5 BS are made specifically for the JK and are hub centric. Less load on the wheel studs. I say might be mute because if you properly install the wheel the load shouldn't be on the studs anyway. But it is nice to know the hub is also centering the wheel at installation.

I was between the slabs and the methods when I bought mine. Could have gotten both for same price. I chose the methods because I loved the looks of them and since several of my friends have slabs I wanted something different. Now several of them have methods too, go figure. Both are great wheels and I'm sure you would do fine with either. Looks aside I would definitely say the slabs are a stronger wheel in regard to bead ring and fastening but the method isn't bad by any means. Just go with what you like. Unless you plan to spend 90% of your time wheelin in the rocks then I'd lean towards slabs.

Thanks for the info! Do you have a picture of your jeep with the methods? I really like the look of the methods better than atx so I may just go that route. Plus I don't see too many rocks in the areas I wheel so I'm not too worried about the bolts being tore up.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Definitely like the look of the method. Heard pretty solid reviews on them. A bit pricey.

I got mine from discount tire direct for a great price. They matched another vendor I found and their service is great.

Sent from my Samsung S5 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Randonizer

I got mine from discount tire direct for a great price. They matched another vendor I found and their service is great.

Sent from my Samsung S5 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Awesome! Defiantly like this the best. Just gotta wait for the tax refund so I can order some haha

jesse3638

Hooked
Well after looking all last night I've found another beadlock I may be interested in. The raceline monster. Anyone have experience with these. Be several hundred dollars cheaper than atx and I like their looks.

View attachment 121750

I know this is a bit late but I have these wheels and really like them. I do have the steel ring version as I don't remember the aluminum ring being available when I bought mine. I've taken some hits on the bolts and can imagine that they may get banged up but they are a standard sized grade 8 bolt and should be available at Lowes. If I had the option I would have gotten the aluminum ring as I like the look a bit better. Plus it looks to offer a little more protection for the bolts but they still may protrude. They have additional back spacing options on their website and if you can't find what you are looking for call them. I believe they can make what you'd like. Also they were offering buy 3 get one free when I bought mine ($100 off each) so in buying 5 I saved $500. I was looking at the walker evans but didn't want to spend that much. Slabs weren't out yet, only the Spyder locks and I didnt't like that big goofy looking ring, otherwise I may have gone with them. Hopefully this helps a bit.

Top Bottom