Help Me Deciede What Tires to Get for My Rubicon - Fuel or Beadlocks

Randonizer

With the options you listed it seems to be more about width. I believe the Fuel's are 4.5 back spacing and the Method Bead-locks are 3.5 both wheels with the same tire you will be 2" wider with the Bead-locks. (yes I know stating the obvious)

My opinion: I would go no wider then a 13.5 tire and maybe reconsider your choice of that bead-lock. Method makes a great wheel but for any sort of rock crawling the ring is too small in my opinion and you will shave off the corners of your bolts making the maintenance part of it a pain as a socket will no longer fit over the bolt. In addition that ring does not provide much valve stem protection.

Maintenance on bead-locks is really nothing to worry about.

Yeah defiantly would go no wider than 13.5. And now that you brought that up about the Methods and after some more reseach I found that Methods are not really in my best interest. So after some thought I may just get some Slabs or Chamber IIs in 17" and just mount them on my 35s now and upgrade to 37s later on after I do some upgrades to my front 44

Drive down the road and all the water will come out.

fair enough.... I was more concerned with muddy water or mud. ;)

Yes they grab water and it comes out when you drive home. When I wash it I just throw a sponge/rag in the bottom of each and the water soaks right up. I don't consider either of these issues a decision factor on what is the right wheel for my rig on the trail. I don't do a lot of mud but yes they will trap mud and I would imagine that if it was plugged full you would have to use your hand and dig it out :rolleyes2:

Thanks guys... I try to avoid mud, but my geography doesn't always allow for it. :beer::beer:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How are you liking your beadlocks? Seeing as you are from PA I imagine you drive on some salted roads. Hows the beadlocks hold up to the salt?

love em! the chamber pros are great. they are holding up well. i try to always clean off my winch cable and my beadlock bolts with some hot water about once a week just to help keep the salt off so they dont rust. so far so good.

Randonizer

love em! the chamber pros are great. they are holding up well. i try to always clean off my winch cable and my beadlock bolts with some hot water about once a week just to help keep the salt off so they dont rust. so far so good.

Thats good to hear. I may just go with ATX beadlocks then. Think I've made up my mind.

BTW I'm pretty sure we just followed each other on Instagram today. Haha

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So another question, the Pro Chambers do not come with center caps but the slabs do? Also what about TPMS?

they dont come with center caps but tpms you can just swap out of your stock wheels if you want to reuse it. i never installed the tpms and just turned it off.

Randonizer

they dont come with center caps but tpms you can just swap out of your stock wheels if you want to reuse it. i never installed the tpms and just turned it off.

Hmmm. Well I kinda want some center caps. So now the debate is Slabs or Pro Chambers.

Randonizer

Well after looking all last night I've found another beadlock I may be interested in. The raceline monster. Anyone have experience with these. Be several hundred dollars cheaper than atx and I like their looks.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422632717.879014.jpg

Last edited:
That lookslike an AL ring. I have only seen these with steel rings. (interesting)

FYI: you will still likely need spacers with these as they have a 4.75" BS. (especially if running more than a 35) Also these do not include the caps. So the total package price will be more.

Edit/Correction: I was able to find the "-AL" ones with 4" BS. I hadn't seen them before...

Last edited:

Randonizer

That lookslike an AL ring. I have only seen these with steel rings. (interesting)

FYI: you will still likely need spacers with these as they have a 4.75" BS. (especially if running more than a 35) Also these do not include the caps. So the total package price will be more.

Edit/Correction: I was able to find the "-AL" ones with 4" BS. I hadn't seen them before...

Yeah the 17x8.5 have 4.75 BS and the 17x9.5 have 4 BS. and what is with wheels not coming with caps?

Yeah the 17x8.5 have 4.75 BS and the 17x9.5 have 4 BS. and what is with wheels not coming with caps?

Caps are not that big of a deal to me but I do think all wheels should come with them.

Seems to me the Racelines would have the same ring weaknesses as the 105s. Also, if you plant to go 37s or greater (even on a 12.50) you will likely want less BS than even the 4". This is what I have now and rub the frame pretty hard at full stuff and turn.

Dean454

Beadlocks. The reason I went to the ATX Slabs is because every time I aired down I could never go as low as I wanted for fear of popping a bead. Now I don't have to worry about that. Do yourself a favor and get The beadlocks you won't regret it. You will regret not going that route. Just my opinion

Meade93

I went with fuel before I knew anything and now every time I air down I regret not getting beadlocks. When I upgrade my tires they will be on atx slabs for sure.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Well after looking all last night I've found another beadlock I may be interested in. The raceline monster. Anyone have experience with these. Be several hundred dollars cheaper than atx and I like their looks.

View attachment 121750

Just a thought, but you do know the Fuel Trophys come in beadlock as well, right? You can get them in beadlock or streetlock. With that said, they are expensive. I personally dig the new Walker Evans beadlocks that were at the SEMA show.

Tachyon

The method 105's need a shim kit for 37's...call them and they'll verify it. It's around $30/wheel.

Randonizer

Just a thought, but you do know the Fuel Trophys come in beadlock as well, right? You can get them in beadlock or streetlock. With that said, they are expensive. I personally dig the new Walker Evans beadlocks that were at the SEMA show.

Yeah for about a grand a wheel. No way id spend 5k on just wheels. The new Walker Evans are not a bad looking wheel either

The method 105's need a shim kit for 37's...call them and they'll verify it. It's around $30/wheel.

shim kit?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I have method 105s with my 37" toyos which have huge beads. I dont know what you are talking about a shim kit, didn't need any such thing.

Sent from my Samsung S5 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom