The Kool-Aid is Strong Over Here

jkwebbie

So I've decided I'm pretty bad at updating my build thread on here lol. But I got a lot of stuff done to my 1 tons since the last update. First thing I did was paint the Ruffstuff diff covers I got and ordered another set of their heims for the steering.
1476016473230.jpg
1476016536586.jpg

I also ended up ordering a new muffler that will go in place of the stock resonator and dump before the rear axle, I got the Race Bullet from Dynomax. I got it because its a super small muffler so it'll tucked up high so I don't beat the hell out of it on the rocks (hopefully).
1476016699255.jpg

Now to the axle. I had ordered high steer machining for the knuckles from FOURWHEELSUPPLY in VA when they had their labor day sale a while back. And if any of you have got high steer you know you have to tare down the axle. So first thing I did was take the locking hubs off, which is only held on by 3 little bolts. Driver side looked good on the inside, passenger on the other hand looked like there was water in it at some point, so I'll be rebuilding that one.
1476016942451.jpg

Next I had to get the actual hub assembly off, which was a bitch. There's 4 big ass bolts on the back of it that hold it on, which were easy to take off. But the snap ring on the inside was almost impossible to get off I felt like. After I borrowed a good set of snap ring pliers it came off without a hitch (my pliers sucked). Next after a lot of WD40 and some cursing, the hub assembly came off.
1476017189101.jpg

Next was time to pull the axle shafts out. These were the biggest pain in the ass to get out. I don't think I've ever said fuck, shit and damn so much in my life than when I was trying to get them out. But the finally came out after a lot of cussing and a few beers. Both shafts looked good, no twisted splines or anything. I'm loving that because I didn't want to go buy new 35 spline shafts.
1476017380594.jpg

Finally I was to the point where I could get the knuckles off. I got both bolts that hold them in there off and had to hit on the stock ball joints for it to come lose, but I'm replacing those anyways.
1476017493602.jpg

That wasn't it because I needed to get the ball joints pressed out since they needed to be out for the high steer machining. Lucky for me my uncle across the street has a shop where he works on and restores old tractors, so I called him up and for a 6 pack of beer he would drop what he was doing right then and press the ball joints out for me. So I went over, 6 pack in hand, and got them pressed out. I didn't take any pictures of that because he got them out so fast lol. But I shipped them out on Tuesday, the company got them on Thursday. The owner called me and told me they were going to be machined on Tuesday and hopefully be at my house either Friday or Saturday!!! I'll post up pictures of them when I get them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

thardy

Banned
Speaking of axles, you should have seen Grubb last night trying to beg me to take the axle shaft out of my company F350 sitting in my driveway. "I'll replace it with my broken one, they'd never know."

jkwebbie

Nice progress Josh. Think you will have them in before winter or will they be making their debut next year?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
The plan is to try and get them in before new years. Once I get the knuckles back, I'll be ready to head down to Grubbs place and get the trusses and steering made. I still need to get brakes, wheels and tires and I'll measure for driveshafts when I'm down at Grubbs. Other than that, it'll be ready to be put on!
Speaking of axles, you should have seen Grubb last night trying to beg me to take the axle shaft out of my company F350 sitting in my driveway. "I'll replace it with my broken one, they'd never know."
Hahahahahahaha I'm not surprised he didn't just pull it out and tell you about it later!

jkwebbie

Talked to the company doing my knuckles today! Said they got them sand blasted today and will start the machining for the high steer arms tomorrow. And since I'm getting the tie rod and drag link made, I ordered 12 feet of 1.5" .250 wall tubing for them from Barnes4wd since they were actually cheaper than all of the places around me because they all wanted me to buy 20 foot sticks, which I didn't need that much. The tubing should be here the beginning of next week, hopefully Monday. I think the knuckles will be here this weekend, just depends on the shop since they said they were pretty busy. Once I get the knuckles back I'm going to go through the front axle and see what seals and stuff I need. I already need to get new axle u joints, the outer seals on the shafts and probably the inner seals too.

I'm also looking at getting the brakes too. Is it worth the extra coin to get drilled and slotted rotors? My only concern is going through some mud or something and have a small rock or some crap stuck in one of the holes in the rotors. Has that happened to anyone that has them? :idontknow:

Grubbicon

I wouldnt waste my time with the fancy stuff. I got the cheap stuff on mine and still lock all 4 up almost too easily. Gotta think those brakes are made for a 10,000lbs truck.

jkwebbie

I wouldnt waste my time with the fancy stuff. I got the cheap stuff on mine and still lock all 4 up almost too easily. Gotta think those brakes are made for a 10,000lbs truck.

Didn't even think of that lol. Plus I feel like something would get in to those holes, especially when going through those mud holes at Windrock lol

Gravedigger11

Talked to the company doing my knuckles today! Said they got them sand blasted today and will start the machining for the high steer arms tomorrow. And since I'm getting the tie rod and drag link made, I ordered 12 feet of 1.5" .250 wall tubing for them from Barnes4wd since they were actually cheaper than all of the places around me because they all wanted me to buy 20 foot sticks, which I didn't need that much. The tubing should be here the beginning of next week, hopefully Monday. I think the knuckles will be here this weekend, just depends on the shop since they said they were pretty busy. Once I get the knuckles back I'm going to go through the front axle and see what seals and stuff I need. I already need to get new axle u joints, the outer seals on the shafts and probably the inner seals too.

I'm also looking at getting the brakes too. Is it worth the extra coin to get drilled and slotted rotors? My only concern is going through some mud or something and have a small rock or some crap stuck in one of the holes in the rotors. Has that happened to anyone that has them? :idontknow:

Is it worth it on stock axles for drilled and slotted......

jkwebbie

Is it worth it on stock axles for drilled and slotted......

The brakes I'm talking about are for my 1 tons, not my stock axles...
I'm not a huge fan of drilled and slotted rotors unless it's on a race car of some sort. While the brakes will get hot on a JK, there's not enough benefit in going with the drilled and slotted versus a standard rotor with quality pads.

Yea I figured it wouldn't be that useful, especially being in the south where there seems to be mud in a drought lol. I can just see something getting caught in those slots and fucking something up lol. Looks like I'll just order the regular rotors and save some money for beer!

jkwebbie

Got home from work today to 2 6 foot sticks of tubing at my door!!! Now to sit and wait for the knuckles to come back. I'm so excited I can't stand it!!! :rock:

jkwebbie

Soooooooo.... I'm contemplating selling the JK lol. I've been eyeing a TJ on tons with an LS, this is all Scotts fault lol. But looking more into the axle swap I'm doing, I HAVE to do something about the gas tank. I can get a fuel cell, but I really really really don't want to do that. My other option is do a TJ tank swap where the little cubby is in the back and cut some of the floor out, which is actually pretty cheap. But I'm kinda on the fence about all of this because that damn TJ is just so bad ass....thanks a lot Scott! Lol

thardy

Banned
Soooooooo.... I'm contemplating selling the JK lol. I've been eyeing a TJ on tons with an LS, this is all Scotts fault lol. But looking more into the axle swap I'm doing, I HAVE to do something about the gas tank. I can get a fuel cell, but I really really really don't want to do that. My other option is do a TJ tank swap where the little cubby is in the back and cut some of the floor out, which is actually pretty cheap. But I'm kinda on the fence about all of this because that damn TJ is just so bad ass....thanks a lot Scott! Lol

Oh good god

Top Bottom