I guess it's the "Super Stocker" build

USMC Wrangler

Oh yeah, absolutely. From day 1 to now, I have spent some green. Couldn't have done it all at once and a wish list still exists.

My wish list is frame mounted rock sliders, tire carrier upgrade, Warn M8000S, Zeon 10 if I can swing it, a RH4x4 cage, 4.88 gears, lock the rear, and a PR 44 up front, locked.

I've been patient up to this point and I have no intention of getting rid of Spider. So, those bigger ticket items will come in time.

USMC Wrangler

I woke up to this...

View attachment 218274

[emoji35] Put the spare on and headed to Discount Tire. It was a sidewall puncture, so they replaced it under the road hazard cert. They showed only two left of the original STT's in their inventory nationwide, so I also bought one. They should arrive here first part of next week which equals no trails this weekend. [emoji25]

Soooo, apparently those "last two STT's in the country" were actually ST's. Completely different tread, for those that don't know. I mentioned the major difference to the manager. He told me to drive it and if I wasn't happy to give him a call. I drove 30 minutes home with the nearly new STT's up front and the brand new ST's on the rear. The Jeep was definitely tracking differently, nothing major, but enough to add to my dislike of the tread differences.

I called the manager about it and after an hour or two of comparing similar tread patterns, they ordered me two Nitto Trail Grapplers as an even exchange. The tread seemed to be the best match and with Cooper not offering or planning to offer the STT Pro's in 35x12.50x17, this seemed to be my best option right now. I guess I'll find out next week when the Nitto's are mounted.

I plan on replacing all the STT's slowly now that this has happened. My only other option was to buy 2-3 more Nitto's today. I'm avoiding opening any lines of credit and not enough cash available for the 3 more tires right now. Time will tell if this works out ok...

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

Soooo, apparently those "last two STT's in the country" were actually ST's. Completely different tread, for those that don't know. I mentioned the major difference to the manager. He told me to drive it and if I wasn't happy to give him a call. I drove 30 minutes home with the nearly new STT's up front and the brand new ST's on the rear. The Jeep was definitely tracking differently, nothing major, but enough to add to my dislike of the tread differences.

I called the manager about it and after an hour or two of comparing similar tread patterns, they ordered me two Nitto Trail Grapplers as an even exchange. The tread seemed to be the best match and with Cooper not offering or planning to offer the STT Pro's in 35x12.50x17, this seemed to be my best option right now. I guess I'll find out next week when the Nitto's are mounted.

I plan on replacing all the STT's slowly now that this has happened. My only other option was to buy 2-3 more Nitto's today. I'm avoiding opening any lines of credit and not enough cash available for the 3 more tires right now. Time will tell if this works out ok...

I always thought they looked more like Toyo's myself.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Oh yeah, absolutely. From day 1 to now, I have spent some green. Couldn't have done it all at once and a wish list still exists.

My wish list is frame mounted rock sliders, tire carrier upgrade, Warn M8000S, Zeon 10 if I can swing it, a RH4x4 cage, 4.88 gears, lock the rear, and a PR 44 up front, locked.

I've been patient up to this point and I have no intention of getting rid of Spider. So, those bigger ticket items will come in time.

That's a good wish list.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't let that jeep OCD kick in! On a positive note, now you can give honest feedback about 2 popular tires.

USMC Wrangler

I'm sure you'll be fine, just don't let that jeep OCD kick in! On a positive note, now you can give honest feedback about 2 popular tires.

Ha ha! Before I even got in it today, my OCD was in full freak out mode!

Yeah, a true side by side. I'm not really sure what's different between the original STT's and the new Pro's, but I'm sure I'll blabber on about it here.

USMC Wrangler

So late this afternoon I got a wild hair to install the JK seat as my third row. Followed the instructions exactly and am not happy with the results. Way too much pressure on the rear window now by the top of the seat. No pics since it's too dark, I'm tired hungry and beer deprived.

Eventually I will unbolt the floor mounts and move the whole thing forward an inch or so. I'll probably skip the nutserts when I do this and weld the bracket in. The Astro tool did make my first experience with nutserts a dream though.

Off to bed...heading to Tucson early in the morning for the Back the Blue event.

Napalm

This is definitely an unfortunate situation. But, kudos to discount tire for making it right. The Nittos are a great tire! The last set of Nittos I ran were in that same size and they did awesome off-road!

USMC Wrangler

This is definitely an unfortunate situation. But, kudos to discount tire for making it right. The Nittos are a great tire! The last set of Nittos I ran were in that same size and they did awesome off-road!

Agreed! Looking forward to the Nitto's and eventually changing over to them all the way around as funds permit.

Another note...this happened today...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472353496.869198.jpg

USMC Wrangler

I am at Discount Tire getting the two Nitto's mounted. The manager met me outside as I pulled up. After talking for a little while, he warrantied one more Cooper and I bought one more Nitto. So by this time next week I should have four Nitto's on the ground. I'll keep the best Cooper as my spare.

Another great customer service experience from Discount Tire! [emoji106][emoji106]

Napalm

I am at Discount Tire getting the two Nitto's mounted. The manager met me outside as I pulled up. After talking for a little while, he warrantied one more Cooper and I bought one more Nitto. So by this time next week I should have four Nitto's on the ground. I'll keep the best Cooper as my spare.

Another great customer service experience from Discount Tire! [emoji106][emoji106]

What what! Upgrading faster than you expected. Awesome news!

USMC Wrangler

What what! Upgrading faster than you expected. Awesome news!

Definitely! The great customer service clearly aided in this.

The drive home with the Nitto's on the back completely eliminated the weird tracking I had going on.

I'm disappointed the Cooper's didn't last very long but still coming out ahead in the whole deal. I would've been happy with the STT Pro's if they had them in my current size.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472680095.490784.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472680249.982839.jpg

USMC Wrangler

While waiting for my other 2 Nitto's to arrive, I decided to start messing with GoPro Studio. Here are a couple videos from the trails on Aug 13th...

1080p, normal speed

YouTube quality, x2 speed, 1970's filter

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

Nitto's on all 4 corners now!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473221567.589433.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473221581.903277.jpg

I was surprised how quiet they are. They chalked at 30psi but will double check that after a bit. I am rubbing the LCA's at full lock now, so I'll be adding a washer as needed thanks to this write up...
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4091-TECH-TIP-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Steer-Stop-Adjustment

I also started trying the Dr. Colorchip touch up kit. It's going to take several coats but the bare metal is covered at least for now.

Before...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473224834.269313.jpg

One coat...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473221664.243520.jpg

Before...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473224887.439915.jpg

One coat...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473221676.826675.jpg

Tried it on one hinge too...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473221691.579933.jpg

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

Tropical Storm Newton came through two days ago. When I left for work, both front doors and my front mats were wet. I guess I've developed the dreaded water leaks.

With no time to troubleshoot, the hardtop was the current answer. So glad to have both still!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473444468.828792.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473444500.000148.jpg

Top Bottom