Pr44 question

Pyro1415

Alright guys a little about my jku. It's a 2010 with 3.73 auto with the. 3.8 engine. I'm currently rolling 37" km2s on my non reinforced dana 30. My end goal is 40s in a couple of years.
Do they make a truss or any reinforcements for the pr44 because many people say it won't hold up to 40s and I don't foresee the wife letting me get a d60 front.

My other option is doing 5.38 in my d30 and d44 with an e locker and a full truss and save up long term for a pr60. But will the d30 hold up for 2 or 3 years. I'm going to Alaska next so if someone out there can chime in that would be great.

I love the price of the pr44 but don't want to buy one just to break it and not have the money for the 60.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Welcome to WAL.

A truss will not save you from breaking your internals. Which is what breaks more often than the housing when you go up in tire size.

Dynatrac does not recommend going above a 37 on their PR44s and I suggest you follow that recommendation. Again this is the internals we are talking about, not the housing. You want 40s, save yourself the money and invest in D60s.

I don't think they even make 5.38s for the d30 because of how small the teeth on the ring and pinion will be. 5.38s is really to small for a 44 as well. There is a video of Wayalife breaking them on one of the CA trials. I'll have to find it for you.

Pyro1415

Yeah I figured as much. So lock and gear the d30 and run it till it blows up?I'm pretty easy on the skinny of roading. Currently have 37s on the stock housing. But I know locking will put a lot of strain on it.

Pyro1415

Sorry I must be spamming at this point. My brother will be performing the labor so my only cost is parts. I was thinking eaton e but if you know a better budget e locker that isn't too weak I'd be open to it in the front.

JKWrang

So like was mentioned - the smaller the axle the smaller the internals the weaker they are.

Therefore if you run a d30 with significantly larger tires (read: 37s, 40s) you can and will break something. Maybe not today or tomorrow. But eventually. I know reading the forums you get the idea that the exact second you put 35s on a d30 without gussets your Cs will bend into pretzyls... and then when it doesnt everyone must be overreactinf jerks who love EVO.

BUT.

the fact is there is an elevated risk and you should consider that. If it were my jeep id just stick with what you have and plan for your end goal in terms of savings. Dont get 40s until you get the 60. I have 35s on a 2.5" lift and wont be getting 37s and getting by until i have all the appropriate items to support it.

Spend once and do it right. Ask me how i know.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I wouldnt lock the front either. Same senario comes into play where you end up blowing your ring and pinion. Then you can't drive anywhere and you are stuck.

I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of no where, during winter in AK.

Honestly, a set of winter tires and chains would be a much better investment while you live in AK.

I can tell you from personal experience that lockers do not help if your tires can't grip the snow and ice.

Pyro1415

Damn David well that sucks but thanks for the info. So just regear for now and lock the rear. The end goal I guess will be pr60/80 in about 3 years. Need to solve my engine problem first.

I already have 37s had a deal way to great to pass up. I'll probably just gusset and gear the d30.
Would the locker really increase the risk of breaking on just snow and sand staying off the skinny?

Top Bottom