EMMA : 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando C101

JeepFan

Hooked
Sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem but, you would think that hard accel performance would have greatly improved since you replaced the carb.

Have you done an engine vacuum test?

If the vacuum drops steadily on acceleration, there could be a restriction in the exhaust.

I'm curious what the spark plugs look like too. Have they been replaced? Are they the correct ones for that engine? Gapped correctly?

Dopey84

I had this problem after rebuilding a carb on an old dodge aspen wagon turned out I had a gasket upside down .. After I tore it apart a few times I tried it just by default and to my surprise fixed it... However I'm not mechanically inclined so you probably Have something else going on... Just thought I'd put it out there

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sure sounds like a fuel delivery problem but, you would think that hard accel performance would have greatly improved since you replaced the carb.

Agreed. Installing the new carb made the engine run a ton better and driving around town like normal, I feel like I have a new motor especially with all the other changes that I've recently made. Still could be fuel delivery especially being that I've got an electric pump and that I've reinstalled a new fuel filter with a return line. I did this to help address the vapor lock issues I had over the summer. I've been half tempted to reinstall a mechanical pump but I'd prefer not to go backwards.

Have you done an engine vacuum test?

So far, just a basic one using starting fluid and hitting the obvious suspects like around the carb and the few vacuum lines. I had reinstalled a line from the PCV as the previous owner had none and I'll be giving that a look and I do have what looks like a new brake booster and I suppose there could be an issue there as well.

If the vacuum drops steadily on acceleration, there could be a restriction in the exhaust.

There's definitely a possibility of restriction as I feel more exhaust coming out of one of the two tailpipes but I don't know if I'm seeing a steady drop in vacuum on acceleration. Something I'll have to look into.

I'm curious what the spark plugs look like too. Have they been replaced? Are they the correct ones for that engine? Gapped correctly?

I haven't pulled all the plugs yet, just #1 and it looked good and assume it was gapped correctly because of it. I may just replace them and the wires just because it's cheap to do and it couldn't hurt anything.

I should note that I was playing around with things yesterday and found that even at an idle, if I quickly throttle it hard, there is a brief hesitation before it fires up. Again, a possibility of a fuel delivery issue.

WJCO

Meme King
Still sounds to me like it's leaning out. Symptom does sound like flooding, but seems like if it was flooding it would do it more often than just under that one unique circumstance. What's your idle speed set at?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Still sounds to me like it's leaning out. Symptom does sound like flooding, but seems like if it was flooding it would do it more often than just under that one unique circumstance. What's your idle speed set at?

Currently, I have idle set at 700.

WJCO

Meme King
700 is pretty normal. Would be interested to see if you bumped it up to 800, just to see if it changes the symptom. It would also be interesting to see if the harsh shifting is still there too with the new carb and ignition system. You could always go back if it didn't work. But then again you said that particular stalling symptom has always been there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Emma : 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando C101

So, I got a chance to get back out in the garage today and decided to address the problems I was having with the electric fuel pump. Even after installing a relay, I was still popping fuses and so clearly, the power lead was grounding out somewhere. So, in addition to running a new power lead, I decided to install a new Carter electric fuel pump in the hopes that maybe, just maybe it would help with my fuel delivery.

First up, here's a shot of what I found on the wiring. Don't think this could have been helping anything.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463536797.665116.jpg

Here's a shot of of the new Carter fuel pump installed.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463535439.984517.jpg

In addition to the new fuel pump, which by the way is much quieter, I made an adjustment to the idle. I noticed that whenever I was in gear, the idle would drop about 200 RPM and so, I bumped it up to 800 while in park so that it would idle at 600 while in gear. Between the new fuel pump and idle adjustment, I now no longer have stalling issues when coming to a hard stop. Also, while The motor will still stall if I stomp on the gas, taking off from a complete stop seems a lot better. Needless to say, I think I'm finally starting to make some headway [emoji106]🏻

2Cross

Caught the Bug
So, I got a chance to get back out in the garage today and decided to address the problems I was having with the electric fuel pump. Even after installing a relay, I was still popping fuses and so clearly, the power lead was grounding out somewhere. So, in addition to running a new power lead, I decided to install a new Carter electric fuel pump in the hopes that maybe, just maybe it would help with my fuel delivery.

First up, here's a shot of what I found on the wiring. Don't think this could have been helping anything.
View attachment 203831

View attachment 203825

In addition to the new fuel pump, which by the way is much quieter, I made an adjustment to the idle. I noticed that whenever I was in gear, the idle would drop about 200 RPM and so, I bumped it up to 800 while in park so that it would idle at 600 while in gear. Between the new fuel pump and idle adjustment, I now no longer have stalling issues when coming to a hard stop. Also, while The motor will still stall if I stomp on the gas, taking off from a complete stop seems a lot better. Needless to say, I think I'm finally starting to make some headway [emoji106]🏻

Looks good to me. [emoji106]
I need to up the idle on my CJ7 because it does the same thing

Galo

Hey Eddie,

If I may offer my 2 cents, in over 40 years of wrenching, I have never, ever witnessed a 'new' carb, out of the box, with the float level adjustment set to the engine ( and its condition ) accurately.
I think I read most of this thread, maybe I missed it being mentioned.

Feel free to ignore.

Good Day and God Bless.

Jason.

WJCO

Meme King

View attachment 203831

View attachment 203825

In addition to the new fuel pump, which by the way is much quieter, I made an adjustment to the idle. I noticed that whenever I was in gear, the idle would drop about 200 RPM and so, I bumped it up to 800 while in park so that it would idle at 600 while in gear. Between the new fuel pump and idle adjustment, I now no longer have stalling issues when coming to a hard stop. Also, while The motor will still stall if I stomp on the gas, taking off from a complete stop seems a lot better. Needless to say, I think I'm finally starting to make some headway [emoji106]

Very cool. By bumping up the idle, did your harsh shifting come back or is it still gone?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie,

If I may offer my 2 cents, in over 40 years of wrenching, I have never, ever witnessed a 'new' carb, out of the box, with the float level adjustment set to the engine ( and its condition ) accurately.

Feel free to ignore.

Good Day and God Bless.

Jason.

Yeah - I know I should give it a look but so far, things are much better so it's hard to taking things apart [emoji16]

WJCO

Meme King
Hey Eddie,

Feel free to ignore.

Good Day and God Bless.

Jason.

I would agree with this. I've always had to bend the float tabs on every new carb I've messed with too. I don't see that causing any of Eddie's type of symptoms though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool. By bumping up the idle, did your harsh shifting come back or is it still gone?

The higher the idle, the harder the shift. At about 800, I feel the shift more but I think I could live with it especially if it fixes the other problems I've been having.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I would agree with this. I've always had to bend the float tabs on every new carb I've messed with too. I don't see that causing any of Eddie's type of symptoms though.

Don't you think if it's dropping fuel into the carb it'll over load and and cause the hesitation until it burns through it and brings the fuel level
Down ?

WJCO

Meme King
Don't you think if it's dropping fuel into the carb it'll over load and and cause the hesitation until it burns through it and brings the fuel level
Down ?

It's possible. Just seems like if that were the case it would be constant and the symptom would occur on a more regular basis. Seems weird that it only occurs from a stop while idling in gear under hard acceleration. As he said earlier, hard acceleration under any other circumstance won't do it. Very strange. And also strange that it was present prior to new carb replacement.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's possible. Just seems like if that were the case it would be constant and the symptom would occur on a more regular basis. Seems weird that it only occurs from a stop while idling in gear under hard acceleration. As he said earlier, hard acceleration under any other circumstance won't do it. Very strange. And also strange that it was present prior to new carb replacement.

This is correct. If I'm cruising at 30 MPH and then I stomp on the gas, I simply go faster. Even if I'm coasting at 30 and then stomp on the gas, I have no problems.

Again, now that I've bumped up the idle to 800 when in park/neutral (effectively brining my in gear neutral down to 600), things are better. I no longer stall after coming to a hard stop and even acceleration off the line can be done a little faster without stalling. The only time it cuts out is if I accelerate hard off the line and it's instantaneous - there's no hesitation, the motor just cuts.

When I get some time, I'll try to give the floats.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Taking pleasures in the simple things in life! Since getting her, the rear tail lights never worked quite right on Emma and so I finally decided to spend some time going through the wiring to see if I can get it fix. And, today, I finally got it working again. [emoji41]

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464143776.114694.jpg

Tail lights work, brake lights work and blinkers all work.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464143858.059309.jpg

Also, while I was working on it, I decided to clean up and re-chrome the reflectors. Here's a before and after shot of what they look/looked like.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1464143954.940566.jpg

Now I can drive Emma safely at night [emoji106]🏻

Top Bottom