EMMA : 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando C101

JeepFan

Hooked
Blast? Or ballast? Can you remove those without affecting the circuit?

Lol! I meant ballast...

Can it be removed? Depends on the system. Some coils have a built in ballast resistor. If you run the original resistor with this type of coil, the coil will not get enough power to energize.

Just a thought. I'm sure the instructions that came with the kit cover this. Idk

WJCO

Meme King
Lol! I meant ballast...

Can it be removed? Depends on the system. Some coils have a built in ballast resistor. If you run the original resistor with this type of coil, the coil will not get enough power to energize.

Just a thought. I'm sure the instructions that came with the kit cover this. Idk

Interesting. I didn't know that. Good info.

JeepFan

Hooked
Found some info on the Pertronix web site that the ignitor is specific to the model distributor. Not sure this is relevant but, they do have a lookup guide on their web site. Just another shot in the dark

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I apologize for being MIA and really appreciate the feedback you guys have been providing, they've certainly helped a lot in giving me things to look at. As far as what's going on, this is what I can tell you.

Regarding the ballast, yes, there is one and I had originally missed it thanks to the crazy ass wiring job the previous owner did. I was able to bypass it by hooking up a power lead directly to the battery but what I had missed before was the fact that the distributor wasn't seated all the way and after cranking the motor, I think I had completely lost it's position. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time getting everything set back to TDC. And, when I thought I was finally there, I got some massive backfire - clearly a sign that timing was way off. To make matters worse, my electric fuel pump stopped working and so I had to troubleshoot it. After checking it directly to the battery and confirming that it still worked, I then had to trace a rainbow of wires to find out if and where it was connected to. For the longest time, nothing made sense, thanks again to the wonderful wiring job and in the end, I finally found that it was wired to a custom fuse box under the dash and connected to what was labeled as "wipers". Sure enough, the fuse was blown and replacing it got it working again.

With the fuel pump working, or for the most part anyway (still blowing fuses after cranking the engine, turning it off and then on again), I was still getting backfire in spite of my attempts to make minor corrections for timing. After pulling everything apart, it occurred to me that #1 wasn't lining up with the rotor - turns out that I was a tooth off. After making an adjustment to the oil pump gear, I was able to get things lined up at TDC and even double checked it by pulling plug #1 and cycling it and measuring it. After putting everything back together and wiring the positive lead from the distributor to the 12v ignition lead BEFORE the ballast as it needed to be, I gave it another go and... still nothing.

Unfortunately, in spite of all my efforts today, Emma is still not running which really sucks because she went from running better than ever before to not running at all. Guess I'll have to give it another go tomorrow.

WJCO

Meme King
I apologize for being MIA and really appreciate the feedback you guys have been providing, they've certainly helped a lot in giving me things to look at. As far as what's going on, this is what I can tell you.

Regarding the ballast, yes, there is one and I had originally missed it thanks to the crazy ass wiring job the previous owner did. I was able to bypass it by hooking up a power lead directly to the battery but what I had missed before was the fact that the distributor wasn't seated all the way and after cranking the motor, I think I had completely lost it's position. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time getting everything set back to TDC. And, when I thought I was finally there, I got some massive backfire - clearly a sign that timing was way off. To make matters worse, my electric fuel pump stopped working and so I had to troubleshoot it. After checking it directly to the battery and confirming that it still worked, I then had to trace a rainbow of wires to find out if and where it was connected to. For the longest time, nothing made sense, thanks again to the wonderful wiring job and in the end, I finally found that it was wired to a custom fuse box under the dash and connected to what was labeled as "wipers". Sure enough, the fuse was blown and replacing it got it working again.

With the fuel pump working, or for the most part anyway (still blowing fuses after cranking the engine, turning it off and then on again), I was still getting backfire in spite of my attempts to make minor corrections for timing. After pulling everything apart, it occurred to me that #1 wasn't lining up with the rotor - turns out that I was a tooth off. After making an adjustment to the oil pump gear, I was able to get things lined up at TDC and even double checked it by pulling plug #1 and cycling it and measuring it. After putting everything back together and wiring the positive lead from the distributor to the 12v ignition lead BEFORE the ballast as it needed to be, I gave it another go and... still nothing.

Unfortunately, in spite of all my efforts today, Emma is still not running which really sucks because she went from running better than ever before to not running at all. Guess I'll have to give it another go tomorrow.

Wow. Sorry to hear all that. I'm wondering if something's up with the new distributor. Points or condenser maybe. You had spark until the new one was put in.

EDIT: You have spark now right? Backfires.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Sorry to hear all that. I'm wondering if something's up with the new distributor. Points or condenser maybe. You had spark until the new one was put in.

EDIT: You have spark now right? Backfires.

Same distributor, just replaced the points and condenser with an electronic ignition system.

I had spark and got it to backfire big time when the timing was off. Now that it's where it should be or where I think it should be, I got nothing. Of course, I can't really test it more until I get a new fuse. In fact, I think I'll install a relay tomorrow to help prevent whatever is causing the fuse to blow.

WJCO

Meme King
Same distributor, just replaced the points and condenser with an electronic ignition system.

I had spark and got it to backfire big time when the timing was off. Now that it's where it should be or where I think it should be, I got nothing. Of course, I can't really test it more until I get a new fuse. In fact, I think I'll install a relay tomorrow to help prevent whatever is causing the fuse to blow.

Wow that sucks. Seems like you're pointed in the right direction though. Good luck.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that sucks. Seems like you're pointed in the right direction though. Good luck.

Thanks. What's crazy is that when I was getting backfire, the timing was set closer to #3 as being TDC. If I recall, this is what Chris said he had going with his FC. None of it makes sense to me but I may try working with it again if only because I was at least getting something there.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks. What's crazy is that when I was getting backfire, the timing was set closer to #3 as being TDC. If I recall, this is what Chris said he had going with his FC.

Yep. That's what he said. Makes no sense to me either. Grab a drink in the meantime.

JeepFan

Hooked
All this talk about setting the distributor to Top dead center on #1 cylinder is really bringing back memories of when I was a lowly mechanic. Wish I was there to help you with this project.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
All this talk about setting the distributor to Top dead center on #1 cylinder is really bringing back memories of when I was a lowly mechanic. Wish I was there to help you with this project.

OMG, I so wish you were here to help me figure this thing out!

Your #1 TDC was compression not exhaust right? Lol.

It's what I'm hoping to check for tomorrow.

Pull the plug out and stick your finger in the hole. ;)

That's what she said! LOL

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Thanks. What's crazy is that when I was getting backfire, the timing was set closer to #3 as being TDC. If I recall, this is what Chris said he had going with his FC. None of it makes sense to me but I may try working with it again if only because I was at least getting something there.

Just move the plug wire and make that number 1.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
OMG, I so wish you were here to help me figure this thing out

I bet you do, fucking thing might be running by now!

You can use a dowel Rod or the finger technique to see when it's TDC. I did mine with the head off the first time, and then with it on I use the finger over the plug hole. It says to use the technique in my manual !

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just move the plug wire and make that number 1.

LOL!! That thought had occurred to me :)

I bet you do, fucking thing might be running by now!

You can use a dowel Rod or the finger technique to see when it's TDC. I did mine with the head off the first time, and then with it on I use the finger over the plug hole. It says to use the technique in my manual !

Did the dowel test and got #1 at TDC. I really though I had it and maybe I still do but I'll need to address my fuel pump before I can test it.

Top Bottom