Wolfpack14's JKUR Build

Wolfpack14

Hello all! I recently purchased a Baja Yellow 2015 JKUR. Just a few months earlier I had bought a 2012 wrangler sport and just stopped by the dealer to check out the new rubicons and ended up walking out with one.

I'll get this started and post up a couple pics of it while it's still stock...for now. Immediate plans are a lift, 35s and some armor. Looking forward to checking out y'all's builds to get ideas of what products work well!

Ellis
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446153300.882147.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446153330.811070.jpg

thardy

Banned
Good looking rig. I look forward to seeing what you do with it and hopefully meeting you on a trail ride soon!

Wolfpack14

I searched the forum to see if anyone had a write up for trimming the stock rubi rock rails but didn't one. I know on my 2012 with 35s the pinch seam was real close to the tire and lots of people were trimming then so I am assuming that the rails will need to be trimmed also. Can anyone point me in the right direction or have some advice on it?

Pyro1415

I searched the forum to see if anyone had a write up for trimming the stock rubi rock rails but didn't one. I know on my 2012 with 35s the pinch seam was real close to the tire and lots of people were trimming then so I am assuming that the rails will need to be trimmed also. Can anyone point me in the right direction or have some advice on it?

I trimmed mine. I used a chop saw but a sawzaw would work well. It's surprisingly strong steel and took a minute. I can't remember what the measurement was. Think I took like 2" off but I'd just measure it out yourself. Deburred threw some paint in and then siliconed the plastic end caps back on to prevent internal rust.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Thanks! You think a dremel would be able to trim them?

Absolutely not. It's way too thick and those little discs break if you look at them wrong already. See if you can rent or borrow a sawzall and get a metal cutting blade. You'll thank me when you get done.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

I cut about 2" off of mine. Just removed them from the body and cut them with a sawzal and metal cutting blade. Keep the plastic caps and reuse them to recap the ends. Prevents mud and water from entering them and rusting from the inside out.

Pyro1415

Absolutely not. It's way too thick and those little discs break if you look at them wrong already. See if you can rent or borrow a sawzall and get a metal cutting blade. You'll thank me when you get done.

Agreed they are fairly high grade steel you would even melt through a cutting disc or two with an angle grinder. Sawzaw or chop saw.

Pyro1415

Thanks! You think a dremel would be able to trim them?

If you don't have a sawzaw or chop saw just take them off mark where you want it cut and go to any metal shop with a large meat lovers pizza and some decent beer. It'll take them 5 minutes.

Wolfpack14

Appreciate the input, I've been wanting both a sawzaw and a grinder for awhile so I am gonna pick them up at the hardware store tomorrow. Planning on doing the stubby front bumper and possibly trimming the rails tomorrow if it quits raining.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Appreciate the input, I've been wanting both a sawzaw and a grinder for awhile so I am gonna pick them up at the hardware store tomorrow. Planning on doing the stubby front bumper and possibly trimming the rails tomorrow if it quits raining.

I did the same, 2" off the rail and i clear 37s. On the 2915 modek the pinch seams already are cut so you should only have to cut the rail. Definitely keep the plastic cap to reuse

Wolfpack14

Great, I thought I had read that after doing some more research.

Went to Lowes and picked up a dewalt sawzaw, hitachi grinder and other items for the bumper tomorrow. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446855916.224485.jpg

Wolfpack14

Made the awful looking front bumper into a stubby and am very happy with the way it came out [emoji106]. Followed the existing write up which made it pretty easy. I've noticed this forum is a great resource so far for write ups and other advice! Originally I was planning on trimming the rock rails today but decided to wait until I get new tires in a couple months. Here's a couple pictures during the various stages today: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446935203.197318.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446935241.682469.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1446935257.815620.jpg

Wolfpack14

Installed the EVO D ring mounts today, very solid product! I think I'll order the fascia but still haven't decided yet. Next up on the build list will be the EVO leveling kit and poison spyder fender flares. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448653650.990076.jpg

Top Bottom