CoWj Build /I'm back

xwaz

Sweet. Looks great and looks like it did well. I 2nd the interior LEDs. Tons of light for a cheap price.

I think the set I bought was 30 for the entire inside even glove box and ash tray. However my ash tray is actually the location for the compressor and locker.

xwaz

Large update of wheeling and parts and maintenance.

First off was some wheeling up Democratic hill on the 4th of July with a couple of my old Toyota friends.
IMG_20160704_115631_470.jpg
Then it was some upgrades first was brakes. The old pads were warped and heat glazed/cracked the pads still had 40% left but they were also just crappy and were squeaking really badly to the point it was unbearable so I opted for some EBC stage 3 brakes with new green stuff pads and slotted and dotted discs. Install was only about 2 hours and 3 sockets and a torque wrench. and that was it. One of the easier things I have done on the Jeep.
received_2058611597697288.jpeg received_2058602217698226.jpeg IMG_20160708_184753_349.jpg

The next item on the list was to change the rear diff fluid and add my new cover and skid plate.
Cover is by Chassis Unlimited and the Skid plate is by Mountain Vista Fab.
received_2063316717226776.jpeg

Next was Wheeling!!!! Went up Kingston peak and then through Yankee Hill (Yuck) to Central city for lunch (also Yuck) But Kingston was absolutely beautiful and an awesome trail. Fun obstacles and amazing views from all along it.
IMG_20160716_102455_416.jpg IMG_20160716_102458_470.jpg IMG_20160716_102501_700.jpg IMG_20160716_110750_208.jpg IMG_20160716_112158_844.jpg
I then found a large wash out where I was able to flex out the long arms.
IMG_20160716_130110_476.jpg IMG_20160716_130131_305.jpg
Then My buddy brought out his fancy camera and took a couple good ones.
received_1083970044981954.jpg received_1083970391648586.jpg
received_1083969798315312.jpg and of course the classic issue of the coils falling out, they didn't fully fall out because I have a upper retainer in to keep it from falling out but I still might make a lower because it has a small chance of sliding out of the bottom.

xwaz

Got the Jeep out for a good camping trip with my dad. Good to test out the Jeep both on highways and on some light wheeling trails with the new build. Trip was mostly for fishing and was down at the Colorado New Mexico border and included some graded dirt roads, a water crossing and some heavily rutted out dirt roads that gave the suspension something to stretch out on.
P1040564.jpg P1040565.jpg P1040566.jpg P1040567.jpg P1040568.jpg P1040569.jpg P1040570.jpg P1040571.jpg P1040572.jpg P1040573.jpg P1040574.jpg P1040575.jpg P1040576.jpg P1040577.jpg P1040578.jpg P1040579.jpg P1040580.jpg P1040581.jpg P1040582.jpg

xwaz

P1040598.jpg P1040613.jpg P1040614.jpg P1040615.jpg P1040616.jpg P1040617.jpg P1040618.jpg P1040619.jpg P1040620.jpg P1040621.jpg P1040622.jpg P1040623.jpg P1040624.jpg P1040625.jpg P1040626.jpg P1040627.jpg P1040628.jpg
Water crossing was in Osier Colorado which is one of the stops of the tourist trains that goes around the area. Cross the water crossing and you soon get into New Mexico.

xwaz

Kind of spaced on this build thread for a while so here us a big update that I will try to go back into detail for the important items. Biggest item first. In November the Jeep got rearended on my drive to class. No injuries and the Jeep had no mechanical damage. (It drove home, the land cruiser didn't)
I originally thought that the rockhard 4x4 bumper was most okay expect for the carrier. Unfortunately come December when I finished a rebuild of the tire carrier I was able to put weight back on the bumper. With the extra weight it became obvious that the mounts were bent and didn't rear have the load support that they had before. I ended up replacing the bumper, it was a bit bitter sweat since it meant the Jeep had even more down time and more time of no tire carrier. However after running the Rockhard bumper for about 8-9 months I couldn't recommend it to any one. The design is nice however being it was a single piece unit and having no adjustment in the mounting it never fit perfectly flush, at 55mph on concrete roads the tire would start to shake back and worth because the "latch" is less of a latch and more of a catch that holds it in kind of the correct position but give no structural integrity to the carrier. The accident did cause on of the bolts to strip quite badly on the way out. Luckily because the bolts that they go into are welded into the frame they are partly heat hardend in the process and the bolts not the highest of quality/ grade. This meant that the damage was done to the bolt not the nut, to fix it I ran the 12mm corse tap to clean up the treads and the new bolts went in perfectly. IMG_20161028_074720714.jpg IMG_20161028_082742521.jpg IMG_20170210_125525299.jpg IMG_20170210_131742810.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

xwaz

I replaced the bumper with a Custom 4x4 Fabrication model and I am pleased to report I am much happier with this unit. It is a modular design making it a bit adjustable so you can really fine tune the fit to the vehicle. Also you can instal it without any other people. I probably was about 30lbs lighter as the side pannels are 1/8" thick instead of the entire bumper being 1/4". It doesn't take away from strength as the side pannels carrier zero load other than reverse lights. It can be packaged and shipped to your door instead of to a frieght depot like the rockhard. Huge plus!!

I also build a custom roof rack out of 1x1" 16ga square tube and mounted an extremely cheap eBay 32" led bar ($28 shipped) which amazingly after 400 miles at 75-80mph through rain and hail has zero water in it. IMG_20170207_162808454.jpg IMG_20170210_144413226.jpg IMG_20170210_142326450.jpg FB_IMG_1489515400462.jpg FB_IMG_1489609758735.jpg FB_IMG_1489515394362.jpg

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Very nice! Can't wait to get my WJ build started! I'm building a 4.0 now for it. The motor in it is worn out. Nothing special. Picked up a block for super cheap and it checks out perfect, only problem is it had a crack in one of the cylinders and it was sleeved so my idea of using this motor for a stroker motor is out. Not to say I won't build one...just not this one.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Looking Back Now I wish I would have bought the one for a little more money with the V8. But the 4.0's we're supposed to be the indestructible motor. That only works if you take care of it! As I found out someone did not. But I can't complain because I picked the whole Jeep up for$1,500. There is no rust underneath and interior is in good shape except for one spot on the driver's seat that's torn. That's it. Has a couple small little dents that can be fixed and it's an awesome starter vehicle. Problem is it was a theft recovery so it's a prior Salvage. Someone did not take care of the drivetrain so I'm swapping out the 3.55 axles for the 3.77 axles and the transmission and transfer case. Along with the motor of course. I have seen WJCO's build on here and messaged him a couple times and it is awesome! Glad to see you have a WJ as well. My wife and I want a JK so bad but this will be a great family vehicle/daily driver it's my daily driver now is my 2004 Ram 1500 Rumble Bee with nine inches of overall lift and 40 inch mud Grapplers with 4.56 gears and positracs front and rear. Needless to say it sucks the gas !

xwaz

Very nice! Can't wait to get my WJ build started! I'm building a 4.0 now for it. The motor in it is worn out. Nothing special. Picked up a block for super cheap and it checks out perfect, only problem is it had a crack in one of the cylinders and it was sleeved so my idea of using this motor for a stroker motor is out. Not to say I won't build one...just not this one.

Yeh I love the 4.0 I had one in my original 1997 grand Cherokee and at 180k I sold it and the owner now is well over 200k and has not real issues. But it was taken care of extremely well with oil changes ever 3k. Unfortunately its hard to find those types of vehicles now that are well maintained. I've had very good luck with my 4.7. Its not great on gas but not terrible. Its around 13 city and the best is 18.8 highway. That's fully loaded driving from Boulder, Colorado to Torrington Wyoming. 191 miles on 10.11 gallons. The 3.73 gears in the v8 are very nice and the trans is geared quite nicely for the build Jeep on 32s weighing about 5300 with 2 people and gear for a week. Engine temps run from 198-224 on average, if I climb a long grade then stop its goes up to the 224 but usually sits from 198-211. (As measured by the Scan Gauge 2 I run. The temp gauge really is not very accurate.) But I really enjoy the wj as an overall vehicle. I find they are small enough to be easy on wheeling trails but large enough that when on a overland trip (what I build mine for) you can be comfortable and bring what you need. I did look at jks a couple years ago and they were just way overpriced for the mileage. I like my 4runner because of the v8 power and when I went to build this wj that's what my main idea was. To build a "Rubicon" Wj with a v8.

xwaz

The Jeep got a bit of shop work done which was a strange feeling as I have done about 99% of the work on it my self. However the front axle got a bit of a rebuilt as the pinion seal was leaking along with the inner axle seals. The Jeep was in the shop for about 3 days mainly waiting for parts but before I love in August I am going to have the Motor mounts replaces and the rear control Arm bushings.

I will leave you now with some teasers of a pair of things I have in the garage weighting for install along with some that are in the mail. IMG_20170412_102103884.jpg

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Yeh I love the 4.0 I had one in my original 1997 grand Cherokee and at 180k I sold it and the owner now is well over 200k and has not real issues. But it was taken care of extremely well with oil changes ever 3k. Unfortunately its hard to find those types of vehicles now that are well maintained. I've had very good luck with my 4.7. Its not great on gas but not terrible. Its around 13 city and the best is 18.8 highway. That's fully loaded driving from Boulder, Colorado to Torrington Wyoming. 191 miles on 10.11 gallons. The 3.73 gears in the v8 are very nice and the trans is geared quite nicely for the build Jeep on 32s weighing about 5300 with 2 people and gear for a week. Engine temps run from 198-224 on average, if I climb a long grade then stop its goes up to the 224 but usually sits from 198-211. (As measured by the Scan Gauge 2 I run. The temp gauge really is not very accurate.) But I really enjoy the wj as an overall vehicle. I find they are small enough to be easy on wheeling trails but large enough that when on a overland trip (what I build mine for) you can be comfortable and bring what you need. I did look at jks a couple years ago and they were just way overpriced for the mileage. I like my 4runner because of the v8 power and when I went to build this wj that's what my main idea was. To build a "Rubicon" Wj with a v8.

Yeah my wife and I just don't want to spend that kind of money at the moment. Not that we don't have it but we're both enjoying not having vehicle payments! And to take a $30,000+++ vehicle or more depending on how it set up and take it in go play in the sticks and mud and rocks just seems kind of crazy. I know that's what it's going to come down to but I would rather find a regular Unlimited and build it up to my standards and my needs. I think it would be a lot cheaper that way. Yeah that's my kind of gold too. To build a Rubicon Style WJ that's capable of daily driving and going anywhere we want to go. I would love to do a Hemi swap but the money, time and effort looks like it'd be way too much. I'll be happy with the 4.0, plus switching the gears and running 33s will be beneficial. I will definitely have to invest in a different temp gauge since that's about the thousandth time I've heard these motors run pretty warm. I already have a factory electric fan on it. I know it's going to a work-in-progress I can't wait to get started! All we have right now is my truck and sure I have lots of room in the bed to carry equipment and stuff but fitting three people in the truck is a squeeze and everybody's ready to be out by the end of the day! And plus while it is very capable and will go just about anywhere I have taken it it isn't solid axle Jeep! Thank you for all the tips and pointers. I'm definitely going to be scouring through build threads like yours and WJCO's for build advice and direction!

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah my wife and I just don't want to spend that kind of money at the moment. Not that we don't have it but we're both enjoying not having vehicle payments! And to take a $30,000+++ vehicle or more depending on how it set up and take it in go play in the sticks and mud and rocks just seems kind of crazy. I know that's what it's going to come down to but I would rather find a regular Unlimited and build it up to my standards and my needs. I think it would be a lot cheaper that way. Yeah that's my kind of gold too. To build a Rubicon Style WJ that's capable of daily driving and going anywhere we want to go. I would love to do a Hemi swap but the money, time and effort looks like it'd be way too much. I'll be happy with the 4.0, plus switching the gears and running 33s will be beneficial. I will definitely have to invest in a different temp gauge since that's about the thousandth time I've heard these motors run pretty warm. I already have a factory electric fan on it. I know it's going to a work-in-progress I can't wait to get started! All we have right now is my truck and sure I have lots of room in the bed to carry equipment and stuff but fitting three people in the truck is a squeeze and everybody's ready to be out by the end of the day! And plus while it is very capable and will go just about anywhere I have taken it it isn't solid axle Jeep! Thank you for all the tips and pointers. I'm definitely going to be scouring through build threads like yours and WJCO's for build advice and direction!

Our primary reason for going with a WJ vs a JK for a trail rig was the cost of a starting platform. You can get a used WJ for 4k opposed to a JK for 25k. (Give or take on the #s). Obviously both have their pros and cons. If something were to happen to the WJ, it can be replaced fairly cheaply. At the same time, the aftermarket support for the JK is nearly endless.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Our primary reason for going with a WJ vs a JK for a trail rig was the cost of a starting platform. You can get a used WJ for 4k opposed to a JK for 25k. (Give or take on the #s). Obviously both have their pros and cons. If something were to happen to the WJ, it can be replaced fairly cheaply. At the same time, the aftermarket support for the JK is nearly endless.

...and WJs are cool. I don't care what everyone else tells you, WJCO. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug

Super cheap! Compared to a JK anyway. Like I said earlier I only paid $1,500 for mine!! I'm really starting to contemplate finding another one that's got a V8 in it. And I love the idea of not worrying too much about if something happens to the WJ. It is a great platform to start with and I completely agree, we will get a JK eventually... But being used to my truck this will give me a good introduction of what to do and not to do so when we get the JK I will hopefully be fairly well-versed. Surprisingly enough I have found a pretty good market for WJ parts.[emoji106] I also enjoy being the black sheep anyway!

Top Bottom