CoWj Build /I'm back

WJCO

Meme King
I had my rear one shorten. When I did my 247-242 swap (shorted 2"), and I think moving the t case up another 3" I think it might be a good option.....

That's a good point. Didn't realize you had done that. I'm still running a 247.

https://youtu.be/wseJXwRZbsk I had a video taken of the first ledge and you can hear the coil drop but luckily it didn't fall out completely.

Where was that at? That part doesn't look familiar. I run the IRO upper retainers. Springs have dropped out many times and always find their way back in.

xwaz

Where was that at? That part doesn't look familiar. I run the IRO upper retainers. Springs have dropped out many times and always find their way back in.
I have the upper retainers too, but I have so much down travel the coils actually can fall past the retain or slip out from the side. That ledge it at the very start. Right at the the end of the first hill of the trail.

WJCO

Meme King
Last edited:

xwaz

But I also did the 242 swap late summer last year to increase the MPG and to be able to lock in in 4hi when going over the snowy passes driving to and from gunnison. Picked up 2 MPG overall and it helps when driving on passes like this. IMG_20180112_140317750.jpg

xwaz

Is there a bypass to the left? I always take that bypass. I'm a pussy, lol.
Yup bypass goes to the left and has a little ledge but nothing hard and not like the big one. Its not actually too hard if you get the line Right. I went up and down it.

WJCO

Meme King
But I also did the 242 swap late summer last year to increase the MPG and to be able to lock in in 4hi when going over the snowy passes driving to and from gunnison. Picked up 2 MPG overall and it helps when driving on passes like this.

If my tcase takes a shit, I'll likely go with a 242 or Atlas. Did you do it on your own or have someone do it?

Yup bypass goes to the left and has a little ledge but nothing hard and not like the big one. Its not actually too hard if you get the line Right. I went up and down it.

Truthfully I drive this trail a lot on my own and always look at that ledge. It looks intimidating and I almost tried it today being I had someone else following. I should have just done it, lol.

xwaz

If my tcase takes a shit, I'll likely go with a 242 or Atlas. Did you do it on your own or have someone do it?

Truthfully I drive this trail a lot on my own and always look at that ledge. It looks intimidating and I almost tried it today being I had someone else following. I should have just done it, lol.
I did it my self. I'm not really recommendable. It was a painful 30-40 hours of working on the case. And really I think finding the more rare v8 select track case would be worth it. The i6 242 swap was such a pain in the ass.

WJCO

Meme King
I did it my self. I'm not really recommendable. It was a painful 30-40 hours of working on the case. And really I think finding the more rare v8 select track case would be worth it. The i6 242 swap was such a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the input. I'm actually trained and certified for gearbox rebuilds, but at the end of the day, that doesn't mean shit. I've never done one like this, and the little research I've done doesn't prove beneficial for the time involved. I'll likely have a shop throw in an Atlas. Luckily right now, my 247 is working fine. But glad to hear yours is working out.

xwaz

Thanks for the input. I'm actually trained and certified for gearbox rebuilds, but at the end of the day, that doesn't mean shit. I've never done one like this, and the little research I've done doesn't prove beneficial for the time involved. I'll likely have a shop throw in an Atlas. Luckily right now, my 247 is working fine. But glad to hear yours is working out.
Yeh, it really nice to have the 242 but an Atlas would probably be better overall.

xwaz

Got a few changes, but mainly a picture update.
New Onboard compressor in the form of a high out out single by ARB, new tires 235/85r16 Falken AT3W these things are bad@$$ best tires I have personally had in the snow and have amazing traction on rocks as well.
New roof LED bar in the form of a Extreme LED 32" X6 Amber Combo single row.
Factor 55 flat link.
With more things coming when I have time, such as fully building my front axle, adjustable rear controls arms new rear coils, 4.10 or 4.56 gears a front Arb and 33s. All to come in due time.

xwaz

As promised photos of the updates.
8a93489b0b211817039cf4464d96a2aa.jpg
cdf7de46e040443aab9acdb07a0ac556.jpg
dc97174476e46e6d240b18b7f5559d83.jpg
1057befbd7401c458fa37d15490aee61.jpg
c2a0abe2ef6b1f2f00f0d180e8eb317c.jpg
f1410959521617f90e4d96f520008031.jpg
845adc362d46cb7e6edef0e2b5e4fd09.jpg
290cb89ea0487068732155a7d7652e1e.jpg
8b6af30dbb993c05fa76c4e245a3581e.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Looking good. I just got that same awning yesterday. How'd you mount it? I have a feeling I'll have to do something custom.

As far as your gears, if you carry a lot of gear/tools, I would definitely do at least 4.56s. That's what I'm running now, and wish I had gone 4.88s (I run 33s). It is fine when it's empty, but when it's full and loaded, I wish I had a little more power.

xwaz

Went back to the Front Range for the long weekend, primary to install new rear control arms. I got a full set from Iron Rock off road, they are fully adjustable and I opted for the flex joints on one end of the lowers and it comes with the flex joint for the upper rear axle mount. The Install was smooth and simple. I measured my driveshaft angle and it was 6.9° to begin with and that's what I set it at afterwords and after driving 240 miles back to Gunnison in a snow storm I have zero driveshaft vibrations.
Jeep also got its 5000 mile full synthetic high mileage (127k) oil change.
And now what you all have been waiting for, install pictures.
Bonus picture is the results of 2+ hours of driving through white out conditions. Including Monarch Pass with less than 20' visibility and 8" of snow on the road. The Falken Wildpeak AT3W really are outstanding in the snow.
IMG_20180217_142631698.jpg IMG_20180217_142638724.jpg IMG_20180217_142646957.jpg IMG_20180217_153558462.jpg IMG_20180219_164648104.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Went back to the Front Range for the long weekend, primary to install new rear control arms. I got a full set from Iron Rock off road, they are fully adjustable and I opted for the flex joints on one end of the lowers and it comes with the flex joint for the upper rear axle mount. The Install was smooth and simple. I measured my driveshaft angle and it was 6.9° to begin with and that's what I set it at afterwords and after driving 240 miles back to Gunnison in a snow storm I have zero driveshaft vibrations.
Jeep also got its 5000 mile full synthetic high mileage (127k) oil change.
And now what you all have been waiting for, install pictures.
Bonus picture is the results of 2+ hours of driving through white out conditions. Including Monarch Pass with less than 20' visibility and 8" of snow on the road. The Falken Wildpeak AT3W really are outstanding in the snow.

Curious how that upper arm works out for you. I've considered getting it. I need to fix my rear driveline angle slightly. Also, does your rear pumpkin scrape the fuel tank shield? Mine does occasionally.

xwaz

Curious how that upper arm works out for you. I've considered getting it. I need to fix my rear driveline angle slightly. Also, does your rear pumpkin scrape the fuel tank shield? Mine does occasionally.
Mine has yet to scrap. This allowed me to fix mine and I has no vibrations even up to 95-100mph (i-70 in Utah is boring) and its nice that later on I can change it depending on what I do with the suspension. I also got rid of the spacer from IRO that they give you for a 4" lift.

xwaz

Been a little while as usual as I am terrible at remembering to update these threads. And by the looks of it I haven't even done anything since march this year.
So I guess I will start with Moab, I went on a quick weekend trip to moab in February but never posted it here.
I drove out and met up with a friend to run Elephant Hill and the accompanying loop through Canyon Lands national Park.
The snow added quite a bit of a challenge as the majority of the climb out was spent on ice covered sandstone. Unfortunately all the photos were taken on my DSLR so I can only upload a couple per post due to sizing. DSC_0157.jpg IMG_3891.jpg

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_4371~2.jpg
    IMG_4371~2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 78

xwaz

IMG_4502.jpg Ran the Falkens down at 15psi and got loads of traction.
My buddies 4runner was definitely on the larger size of rigs that can fit through the squeeze.
IMG_4395.jpg
Driving through the sandy section was one of my favorite parts of the whole trail.
IMG_4467.jpg
It finally happened, Front tire popped up and grabbed the washer bottle. I am gonna try to move it forward as I have an air compressor in the location of the Zj bottle relocation. IMG_4348.jpg IMG_20180224_114753474_HDR.jpg
The staircase was easier than expected. We made it through the trail with out issue, no one got stuck, nothing major broke. Other that my washer bottle, and I cracked a CV shaft, it didn't break but when ever I hit the gas I could hear it click when setting off. IMG_4241.jpeg

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom