Front drive shaft options ...

Dopey84

I'm looking to upgrade my gearing and front driveshaft. My question is on the front driveshaft however. I'm going to be running 315 70 18 what would it be best to go with..? As far as gearing goes I'm gonna run 4.88's currently I'm at 3.73's looking only at driveshaft options thank you in advance

TennJK

I ordered the 1310 coast from driveshaft. Haven't installed yet. MedixJK runs one in his and seems to like it just fine. With running the 315's the 1310 should be perfect.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Anyone running the Tom Woods 1310 bolt in shaft? It's the only one available in Aus that doesn't require you to change the axle yoke.

swampdog

Anyone running the Tom Woods 1310 bolt in shaft? It's the only one available in Aus that doesn't require you to change the axle yoke.

The Tom Woods shaft apparently comes with shitty joints unless you specify you want the upgrade to Spicer joints. Most stick with JE Reel, Adams, or Coast.

Also, I believe the 1310 driveshaft is smaller than the stock driveshaft, so it really wouldn't be an upgrade...can anyone confirm this?

TennJK

The Tom Woods shaft apparently comes with shitty joints unless you specify you want the upgrade to Spicer joints. Most stick with JE Reel, Adams, or Coast.

Also, I believe the 1310 driveshaft is smaller than the stock driveshaft, so it really wouldn't be an upgrade...can anyone confirm this?

Yeah the diameter of the 1310 is smaller than stock. Which helps with clearance and flexability a bit. The big upgrade is where you can extend it or collapse it to correct that angle that comes when you lift. I wouldn't say smaller is weaker though

I'm looking to upgrade my gearing and front driveshaft. My question is on the front driveshaft however. I'm going to be running 315 70 18 what would it be best to go with..? As far as gearing goes I'm gonna run 4.88's currently I'm at 3.73's looking only at driveshaft options thank you in advance
Is your jeep lifted at all? Or are you planning to? The real benefit of an aftermarket u joint style shaft is better clearance and ability to handle steeper driveline angles associated with lifting your jeep.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I went with an Adams 1310 with solid joints for my Jeep and 37's. Installed the shaft yesterday but haven't installed tires yet. From my research there's nothing wrong with that combo.

Petzl88

I went with an Adams 1310 with solid joints for my Jeep and 37's. Installed the shaft yesterday but haven't installed tires yet. From my research there's nothing wrong with that combo.

So you got the Adams 1310 with the Spicer solid U-joint, changed the T-case yoke and retained the OEM pinyon yoke? That is the one that I am going to get I think.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah the diameter of the 1310 is smaller than stock. Which helps with clearance and flexability a bit. The big upgrade is where you can extend it or collapse it to correct that angle that comes when you lift. I wouldn't say smaller is weaker though

Factory is a 1330 meaning the 1310 is a weaker joint. The benefit of the aftermarket is it allows you to adjust pinion angle.

Your factory shafts extends and collapses as well. And yes smaller is weaker. A 1330 u joint is stronger than a 1310.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This ^^^ I personally wouldn't recommend a Woods shaft unless you pay to have it upgraded with Neapco or Spicer joints. I have seen his "Gold Seal" joints fail time and time again and for what looked like no good reason.

Factory is a 1330 meaning the 1310 is a weaker joint. The benefit of the aftermarket is it allows you to adjust pinion angle.

Your factory shafts extends and collapses as well. And yes smaller is weaker. A 1330 u joint is stronger than a 1310.

This is correct. A 1310 is a weaker joint.

Dopey84

Is your jeep lifted at all? Or are you planning to? The real benefit of an aftermarket u joint style shaft is better clearance and ability to handle steeper driveline angles associated with lifting your jeep.

Not really lifted atm.. I'm running the Evo leveling kit... I'm just not positive that once I go to 35's and start wheeling it that the stock front driveshaft will hold up... So wanting something better

Top Bottom