Front drive shaft options ...

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I watched a video on changing from the stock driveshafts to the Cardin style and it
requires a 1.5° positive tilt to the pinion. Anyone know about the difference requirement
on pinon angle ? Or is the video incorrect ? Thanks!

It's all going to depend on lift and length. With a double cardan you ideally want the pinion and shaft to have no difference in angle. Basically point the pinion at the transfer case output shaft. Most likely you'll have to find a happy medium between caster and ideal pinion angle.

Drdiesel1

It's all going to depend on lift and length. With a double cardan you ideally want the pinion and shaft to have no difference in angle. Basically point the pinion at the transfer case output shaft. Most likely you'll have to find a happy medium between caster and ideal pinion angle.

Actually, this was on the rear axle setup. Sorry, I didn't post that info before hitting the enter button :brows:

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Concerning the Rzeppa CV Joint per the Quadratec web site:

The design works like a bevel gear; but instead of gear teeth transmitting the torque across the joint, the balls push against their respective tracks in the inner and outer housings. A downside to this is though that if the joint is overstressed the balls can be pushed out of their tracks and stretch and crack the housing causing a failure.

This failure mode is pretty common on the stock DS. I've not heard of the U-joints in the double cardan failing though failure of the U-joint at the pinion is fairly common - especially if there is much of an angle at the pinion as there often is with a 3+" lift.

So much for much stronger!!

Kinda proved my point. Double cardan = 2 U joints at low angle of operation to replace 1 CV at a high angle of operation. Put a single U joint at each end of the shaft and see how strong it is.

A double cardan front shaft is a better fit on a lifted jeep as the u joints will wear evenly where as the stock CV will wear a groove in the bearing races causing premature failure.

Top Bottom