Anybody put an exhaust in their jeep or cold air intake? Thoughts?

tonytony9

I have done this to my 07 and my 2014 and liked the results. I installed a K&N on the 07 and a MOPAR cold air intake on the 2014. Does anyone have suggestions as to which brands they like or prefer? What about for exhaust? Magnaflow? Gibson? Flowmaster?
Thanks!
OIIIIIIIO

I put the Gibson Cat back dual extreme exhaust on my truck and I absolutely love everything about it. Performance wise the exhaust gives the 3.8 the little bit of extra hp you may need to do some passing on the highway. In addition my gas mileage has definitely slightly increased.

However what really attracted me to the exhaust was the look and sound. I think it is the only exhaust on the market to produce a nice and true deeper exhaust tone. It grumbles just like a 350.

http://gibsonperformance.com/p-27232-jeep-exhaust-systems.html

Samlautranger

Look for a system/muffler that is stainless steel. Stainless last far longer than aluminizied, not that there is anything wrong with aluminizied. Especially in dry states.

A few things about us.

Our 90 day sound and performance guarantee and our warranty.

Info here.
http://www.dynomax.com/warranty-guarantee/

Good luck with your choice!!

Looking at your VT Muffler. Give me some feedback on why I should or should not go this route. Appreciate it.

Thx1158

I put a Banks CAI and exhaust on my 16. I have found the jeep to run a bit better and I defiantly gained a couple more MPG (around 4 to 5). It isn't too loud and I did also install a pre-filter to aid in some of the finer particulate matter.

caminton

I put a Banks CAI and exhaust on my 16. I have found the jeep to run a bit better and I defiantly gained a couple more MPG (around 4 to 5). It isn't too loud and I did also install a pre-filter to aid in some of the finer particulate matter.

That's pretty pricey though, isn't it?

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I read a few people talk about an increase in MPG as if that means more horsepower. Let's get a little more real and talk actual tests. Can anyone point to actual tests of horsepower before and after the installation of a Cold Air Intake and/or aftermarket muffler? I would like to see those.

Then the readers on this forum can make better decisions as the more experienced members are quite skeptical. Let's talk real numbers folks. I am curious myself and would like to know.

WJCO

Meme King
I read a few people talk about an increase in MPG as if that means more horsepower. Let's get a little more real and talk actual tests. Can anyone point to actual tests of horsepower before and after the installation of a Cold Air Intake and/or aftermarket muffler? I would like to see those.

Then the readers on this forum can make better decisions as the more experienced members are quite skeptical. Let's talk real numbers folks. I am curious myself and would like to know.

Exactly. Numbers are so subjective with MPG. Especially when there are no many variables to it as well.

It is a lot smaller than stock.
Some don't like the location as it can still get tangled up in the rocks. We don't suggest this in a front of an axle set up, as the valve can tink.
Sound is really great. You hear it when you step on the gas, but at cruise so quiet.
Keep the stock system, I know a lot of guys who wanted to EVEN quieter and reused the resonator since we don't reuse it.

Save your receipt too.
90 day sound and performance guarantee and limited lifetime warranty.

http://www.dynomax.com/warranty-guarantee/

Looking at your VT Muffler. Give me some feedback on why I should or should not go this route. Appreciate it.

Torch

CAI is a waste of money. I had be but it was only good for sounding cool. An exhaust will only sound cool as well but a better option than the cai

My friend. Think of an engine as an air pump. Air in-Air out. A cold air intake can get more air in, but to do so you also need that free flowing exhaust.
Either will sound cooler, but you need both to get a noticeable increase in power. Now, to really take advantage of that extra air...use a tuner to alter fuel and timing settings.
Bottom line is....Speed costs Money.
I have an AirForce CAI and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system, and it made a big difference for about $500. Then I spent another $360 on a Superchips tuner, and wow, what a difference that made.
Plus the tuner allows you to calibrate your speedometer after switching tire size and gear ratios, and a host of other cool things. To me, money well spent. If I had to do it over I would do the same.

Please don't think of the CAI as a waste of money. It is just part of the overall picture.
:beer::usa-salute::drinks:

WJCO

Meme King
My friend. Think of an engine as an air pump. Air in-Air out. A cold air intake can get more air in, but to do so you also need that free flowing exhaust.
Either will sound cooler, but you need both to get a noticeable increase in power. Now, to really take advantage of that extra air...use a tuner to alter fuel and timing settings.
I have an AirForce CAI and a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system, and it made a big difference for about $500. Then I spent another $360 on a Superchips tuner, and wow, what a difference that made.
Plus the tuner allows you to calibrate your speedometer after switching tire size and gear ratios, and a host of other cool things. To me, money well spent. If I had to do it over I would do the same.

Please don't think of the CAI as a waste of money. It is just part of the overall picture.

Welcome back from 2014. :thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
CAI's are a waste of money. As an aside, unless you are talking about a snorkel that pipes in outside air, the name makes me laugh since "CAI's" suck in hot air from the exact same place as the stock box...from inside the hot engine bay.

More to the point though, I have yet to see any real dyno proof that a CAI adds significant horsepower to the ground...especially with a Rubicon transfer case. I'm all ears though if someone believes they have contrary proof. Additionally, there is no question that running an aftermarket intake is begging for motor problems that Chrysler will not warranty.

If you like the sound, the look, and the "butt dyno" then by all means spend your money how you choose. In reality though, gears are a much better investment.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Cool story bro. I had one and a cat back exhaust as well. Ended up trading my CAI back for a stock one because after two years it only sounded cool and did nothing for performance. You can keep thinking it actually does something for our mini van motors tho :thumb:

Torch

CAI's are a waste of money. As an aside, unless you are talking about a snorkel that pipes in outside air, the name makes me laugh since "CAI's" suck in hot air from the exact same place as the stock box...from inside the hot engine bay.

More to the point though, I have yet to see any real dyno proof that a CAI adds significant horsepower to the ground...especially with a Rubicon transfer case. I'm all ears though if someone believes they have contrary proof. Additionally, there is no question that running an aftermarket intake is begging for motor problems that Chrysler will not warranty.

If you like the sound, the look, and the "butt dyno" then by all means spend your money how you choose. In reality though, gears are a much better investment.

I have to agree on the gears. Gear changes have always been a fast way to get that "butt dyno" increase. Also, the term CAI can be misleading. I stick by my "air pump" theory though.

caminton

I have to agree on the gears. Gear changes have always been a fast way to get that "butt dyno" increase. Also, the term CAI can be misleading. I stick by my "air pump" theory though.

I can't talk much, but welcome to WAL.

Ausjeep113

If you want real proof there is a YouTube show called mighty car mods they did real world dyno tests on Cai's and proved without a doubt that they don't do anything. Look it up if you don't believe that a Cai is useless. [emoji106]🏻

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

For your theory to work you'd need to confirm that the air box and exhaust is what's limiting the airflow through the engine. In most modern cars that's not the case

JEEPnGEO

I use the Dynomax 39516 muffler. Got tired of pinching the exhaust pipe with the diff. Then I got the Gibson, I liked the sound but still pinched the pipe.So I got the Dynomax. My intake is the AIRRAID open element filter. The air cleaner came with a splash-guard type setup but for the most part it is open element. No deep water for me.

Good luck on what ever you go with.

Top Bottom