Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Monkey Jeep

Right, so I just got my JKU and noticed that the previous owner had pretty much built a mall crawler and did not properly adjust the driveline components. Jeep would wander off, especially on uneven pavement. Noticed and measure both axles were off center and the tires look toed out.

So to start I got myself a Teraflex HD track bar and installed it today. I was able to adjust the front axle back to center with about 1/16" +/- between each side.

Turned out that my steering wheel came off center and the front passenger's tire is toed out while the drivers is somewhat straight.

I was able to get the steering wheel back centered (still off by a bit), but could not get the tie rod knuckle to come loose.

So know I would like to know how to proceed. Drove down the road and noticed a clunk when turning right.

TIA

If you find a solution I would appreciate dune feedback as I'm having the exact same problem

How much angle differential can there be between the driveshaft and the pinion? I'm using EVO 3" springs and a Adams 1350 driveshaft. My caster is 4 degrees so my pinion is 2 degrees. My driveshaft is at 6 degrees so the difference between the pinion and driveshaft is 4 degrees. I can't say there is a vibration as the mirrors are completely stable but over 45-50 mph I can hear a low rumble from the driveshaft. This is a very low pitched whirring noise. Is this normal or am I setting myself up for transfer case or joint failure?

RageKage

Yep, that isn't my question. If the steering wheel is off, how are you to know when your wheels and front tires at straight so you can adjust it. On my GLI and BMW the place expensive laser devices on all 4 wheels to make sure they are all aligned with each other then adjust the suspension. I'm guessing there is a tried and tested way to check if I have the wheels straight without spending a ton of cash on the laser Star Trek tools. This is my question. I don't want to change my steering wheel from tilted left to tilted right or vise versa if you understand me.

You may have already fixed this issue but I have used string tied around all 4 tires. Basically just start at the middle of one tire walk all the way around the jeep and then tie it back to itself. Make sure the string is centered on all wheels, could prolly get a string level to help too. And then when you are turning your wheels left and right you should be able to see where the string is in line and not bowing out on the front or rear of the tires.

My question however is which step do you start first? Toe-in is last but would you center the axle or center the steering wheel or set caster first?
Also being that I have a 6.5 inch lift what do I need to set my pinion angle at to avoid driveline vibrations? Seems like my caster would need to be well over to compensate. Or should I just get a slip yoke eliminator when I get a new front axle?
Looking at the Adams 1350 front driveshaft btw if that helps any. Currently not running a front driveshaft cuz I still had the stock one on and it was about to shear itself apart so I removed it to prevent further damage.

babykud

Got my alignment done. This thread was amazing. Caster is close to 4*. I have my upper arms are the way in (metal cloak 2.5" duo flex arb edition). I run all aluminum and plastic so I got a lot of lift out of it. After the alignment it's running amazing. Thanks souc guys!!!!!

Attachments

• 1469487763785.jpg
    1469487763785.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 397

Dempsey

This is awesome, so helpful. Definitely gonna look on this forum for things i can do, before i ever bring my jeep to a shop. save that money for upgrades!

shin0bi1

Got my alignment done. This thread was amazing. Caster is close to 4*. I have my upper arms are the way in (metal cloak 2.5" duo flex arb edition). I run all aluminum and plastic so I got a lot of lift out of it. After the alignment it's running amazing. Thanks souc guys!!!!!

I have a 4" evo enforcer kit with a 1" spacer in the front and close to your specs for caster alignment and everything else. My jeep is scary to drive over 60 due to all the flightiness and it feels like the rear is oversteering as well. Do you have this problem?

Blueknight7777

This JK front end info is really helpful.

Thanks for including photos with excellent instructions on JK front wheel alignment. Excellent presentation.

Jeep Bro 08

I just use the write up yesterday worked like a charm ,Thanks ...i had did a little hill climbing with rocks & came back down on a big rock steering wheel turn real hard all the way to 1 side im thinking thats what threw off the steering wheel

Sent from my SM-G900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benertel

Wouldn't the measurement of 1/16 be incorrect for larger tires? 1/16 would be for a stock size tire. A 37 is going to be "longer" and the same measurement would create a larger toe in angle. Am I over thinking this?

WJCO

Meme King
Wouldn't the measurement of 1/16 be incorrect for larger tires? 1/16 would be for a stock size tire. A 37 is going to be "longer" and the same measurement would create a larger toe in angle. Am I over thinking this?

Welcome to WAL. Not sure which post you're quoting :thinking:

As far as toe angle, measure center to center from the front of the tires and then measure center to center at the rear of the tires. It doesn't matter the tire size. If you're aiming for a 1/16", you can still achieve that. Now if you're measuring from the brake rotors or something, that is a different story.

WJCO

Meme King

I found the post. You don't move the adjustment 1/16", you make sure that your total difference between front of tires and rear of tires is 1/16" toe in. So this wouldn't matter if you had a 20 inch tire or a 40 inch tire, as long as the difference from center to center of front of tires, is 1/16" less than the measurement between center to center of the rear of the front tires.

Shoe

Angle finder

Lowes has the Johnson angle finder in stock and also Fluid film :thumb:
Thanks Eddy for these write ups , if you don't do your own work at least you can check others.

Shoe

Caster ?

image.jpg Is caster relative to the angle that the frame is. I have jku, RK 2.5 max travel, stock bumpers and the rear sets high.
I am using the yellow Johnson angle finder
89* garage floor angle, 91* frame/roof angle = +2* high in the back
91* frame and roof
90* bolt hole on front axle
96* top of ball joint
2* rear drive shaft / pinion difference
If the rig is loaded and level, that changes the caster correct ?
Unloaded I see a caster of +7*. Is that correct .

Last edited:
Top Bottom