Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

RKJK10

When you say fine are you referring to the fact that you re-torqued all front end bolts?

Yes every bolts are torqued to specs. every single joints on my suspension arms are worn out on the back end, I didn't take the front arms to inspect yet but I did retorque them all... unit bearings, rotors and pads are new lol, if the caster is set at 10* on the top of the balljoints and 90* on the large hole located on the front edge of the differential housing, good? or not good?

Rccrwlr

Yes every bolts are torqued to specs. every single joints on my suspension arms are worn out on the back end, I didn't take the front arms to inspect yet but I did retorque them all... unit bearings, rotors and pads are new lol, if the caster is set at 10* on the top of the balljoints and 90* on the large hole located on the front edge of the differential housing, good? or not good?

With you having a PR44 I don't have a way to compare. Maybe someone that does will chime in

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
any shops in miami that actually to these step by step?

A shop can only make adjustments to components that are adjustable. If your Jeep doesn't have adjustable aftermarket components, they only thing they will do is take your money.

Hammmerhead

Not sure where my lift height is setting, but Im guessing maybe 5". I have front King 250/300 preloaded at 3" and about 3 3/8 to 3.5" on pass side. Im showing -4.1* on pinion flange using iPhone app. Get -4.1 on the top of passenger C and but -7 on the drivers side C. Everything looks normal, no vibration. Just fixed my toe and corrected steering wheel that was off since I swapped the coils.

It drives much better after toe was brought closer. I am a little concerned about the caster on the Drivers side C, but the pinion shows 4.1 I just bought this Jeep and know it has been wheeled a few trips.

Great info in this thread, thanks for posting.

WJCO

Meme King
Not sure where my lift height is setting, but Im guessing maybe 5". I have front King 250/300 preloaded at 3" and about 3 3/8 to 3.5" on pass side. Im showing -4.1* on pinion flange using iPhone app. Get -4.1 on the top of passenger C and but -7 on the drivers side C. Everything looks normal, no vibration. Just fixed my toe and corrected steering wheel that was off since I swapped the coils.

It drives much better after toe was brought closer. I am a little concerned about the caster on the Drivers side C, but the pinion shows 4.1 I just bought this Jeep and know it has been wheeled a few trips.

Great info in this thread, thanks for posting.

I don't know how accurate that app is. Caster shouldn't differ that much. Did you check it on level surface and get all the dirt off? If C was damaged, it would affect camber. Usually caster is affected by control arms.

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 197469

is this even close!? they told me they had their best technician do it.

Your caster should be around 4.5. Your current caster is really low, even with an aftermarket axle. Check your control arms for bends or that they're adjusted right if they're adjustable. RF camber is either a worn ball joint or bent ç.

Mlawson04

Your caster should be around 4.5. Your current caster is really low, even with an aftermarket axle. Check your control arms for bends or that they're adjusted right if they're adjustable. RF camber is either a worn ball joint or bent ç.

just realized my signature says "build list" it should say "wish list" :doh:
my axels are stock 30 and 44.
my lift is rock krawler 3.5 with adjustable CA's and adj. front/rear track bars

WJCO

Meme King
just realized my signature says "build list" it should say "wish list" :doh:
my axels are stock 30 and 44.
my lift is rock krawler 3.5 with adjustable CA's and adj. front/rear track bars

CASTER: Buy an angle gauge and check it yourself like the write-up shows. I bet your arms are adjusted too short.

CAMBER: Check for worn ball joints to start with.

itiosso

one wheel off center

Right, so I just got my JKU and noticed that the previous owner had pretty much built a mall crawler and did not properly adjust the driveline components. Jeep would wander off, especially on uneven pavement. Noticed and measure both axles were off center and the tires look toed out.

So to start I got myself a Teraflex HD track bar and installed it today. I was able to adjust the front axle back to center with about 1/16" +/- between each side.

Turned out that my steering wheel came off center and the front passenger's tire is toed out while the drivers is somewhat straight.

I was able to get the steering wheel back centered (still off by a bit), but could not get the tie rod knuckle to come loose.

So know I would like to know how to proceed. Drove down the road and noticed a clunk when turning right.

TIA

WJCO

Meme King
Right, so I just got my JKU and noticed that the previous owner had pretty much built a mall crawler and did not properly adjust the driveline components. Jeep would wander off, especially on uneven pavement. Noticed and measure both axles were off center and the tires look toed out.

So to start I got myself a Teraflex HD track bar and installed it today. I was able to adjust the front axle back to center with about 1/16" +/- between each side.

Turned out that my steering wheel came off center and the front passenger's tire is toed out while the drivers is somewhat straight.

I was able to get the steering wheel back centered (still off by a bit), but could not get the tie rod knuckle to come loose.

So know I would like to know how to proceed. Drove down the road and noticed a clunk when turning right.

TIA

Welcome to WAL. Other than the clunk, the start of this thread will address how to adjust everything.

itiosso

Welcome to WAL. Other than the clunk, the start of this thread will address how to adjust everything.

I believe it might be due to some tension or loose components, will do some investigation tomorrow and come back with finds. Maybe it would help other users to identify issues as they tackle some of the alignment aspects approached by this write up

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Check your torque on your trackbar. If it wasn't doing it before you installed it then I bet your didn't torque it to spec

Monkey Jeep

I'm having the exact same problem, if you find a resolution I would greatly appreciate some feedback on eBay you found out. Thanks

Top Bottom