Lost to History Forever - Before & After Photos

JAGS

Hooked
If we let this continue, it will. I'm happy to see several other parents step up to discuss the real foundation of this issue, simple lack of respect and appreciation. Like others have posted, I do and will continue to share these great locations with my kids. And teach them the history and to respect the land and those who were here and explored before us.

People suck! You're right Doug.

But let's make sure our kids and the wayalife community does what we can to preserve what is left. [emoji106]

It's more than just a jeep!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The recent rock that was toppled was at Cape Kiwanda in Oregon back on September 4th.

What it looked like before
d2a07f5e-0b71-49f3-886a-d501b7ded7e1-large16x9_IMG_3536.jpeg

What it looks like now
14224697_10154083212593533_913267759433648508_n.jpg

PACIFIC CITY, Ore. (AP) - The sandstone rock formation at Cape Kiwanda always looked like it was teetering on the edge of collapse, but this week it finally came down.
The sandstone formation at the Oregon coast park collapsed this week, the Oregonian first reported. State park officials don't believe it was destroyed by people.

The sandstone pedestal was popular among visitors, who often climbed it for pictures. It was located in a part of the park that is technically off-limits, after six people died on the nearby cliffs over the last two years.
Parks spokesman Chris Havel says there's a good reason the area is fenced off. He says it might look safe, but sandstone can give out without warning.

http://katu.com/news/local/cape-kiwanda-rock-formation-collapses

:naw:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
This is why I look both ways on one way streets. I have no faith in society. Shit like this reinforces that opinion.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
It is so sad that nobody has any respect or common decency to preserve our history. This makes me sad when I come travel out west to enjoy these areas and see the destruction these shitbags do. The old Senator Mine has been destroyed, tagged, and littered! It just really pisses me off. Also out on the thumb butte loop, there is a lookout area that has garbage and vandalism all over. I totally get why nobody wants to share these locations and respect your decision to refrain from posting GPS or directions. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474045346.765610.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474045374.025927.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474045404.674855.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474045428.000849.jpg

Draconianwinter

There used to be a time where it took some effort to explore and discover the beauty and rich history that you could find out in the desert. Back then, we would pour over maps, read all kinds of books and then head out with a general idea, a compass and a camera. While a lot of what we found was dilapidated and in disrepair, they were at least still standing and for the most part, frozen in time. Unfortunately, a lot has changed since then and not for the better. Just in the last five years alone, many of the wonderful places we enjoyed visiting have since been vandalized, shot up and more times than not, burned to the ground. In an effort to protect other destinations, many more have been closed to the public. Here are just a few examples of places that have been lost to history forever.

Mojave Dinosaur House
Back in 1985, a guy by the name of Joe Whitcavitch moved out to Lucerne Valley and built a dinosaur around his mobile home. Unfortuantely, a car accident killed him and the home fell into disrepair. Years later, Boy Scouts Troop 247 of Lucerne and 62 of Barstow restored the home to its original glory and this is what it looked like

Before...
main.php

After...
main.php

Of course, thanks to the help of assholes, it is now shot up and burned to the ground. What it looks like today...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Rainbow Chaser Cabin
There was a beautiful cabin out in the Mojave Desert that was built by a Rainbow Chaser back in the 1920's. It had an inviting porch and couryard adorned with stone pavers and even an outdoor oven. We loved this place and hosted an event here back in 2011. This is what it used to look like just a couple of years back...
View attachment 14156

View attachment 14157

Thanks to some bastards, nothing is left of it other than a pile of bullet riddled and burnt out rubble. This is what it looks like today...
View attachment 14159

View attachment 14158

Barker Ranch
Barker Ranch was built back in 1940 by Butch and Helen Thomason who came out to the Panamint Range looking for gold. At one point and time, they had electricity powered by a windmill and generator and had enough fresh water from a spring that they even had a concrete swimming pool. In 1955, Jim and Arlene Barker bought the ranch and that's where it gets its name from. However, what most people know Barker Ranch for is that it's the place where Charles Manson was caught hiding under the bathroom vanity on October 10, 1969.

For years after the fact, off road enthusiats would come out and visit this beautiful ranch, make repairs to it and even stay the night in it. And, up until about 2008, this is what it looked like...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

This is what it looks like today...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Enjoy it while you can because it'll all be gone before you know it.

I agree with you 100%. And besides I always thought that was why we owned jeeps. To get to places forgotten by time and with any luck male new friends along the way. Oops just realized this was the wrong post lol meant to post in the one you made about not posting GPS locations and such lol. That's what I get for doing to many things at one time lol

Last edited:

Fires JK

Was just watching The Florence, AZ Fun Run video from last May and decided to check out the Martinez Mine and Box Canyon. They're reported to be passable challenges for stock JK's. While doing research on how to get to the traihead I discovered the BLM bought the property from its long time owners and closed the trail about 1/2 mi. from the mine. That could be good or bad. It could keep vandals out (not likely), but it could keep out folks who wish to see an important part of Arizona history. Lost to history? Gonna wheel the trail and find out.:idontknow:

Martinez is closed Box Canyon is not.
Ajax Mine is near Box Canyon and has not been vandalized to bad nice place to visit.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
A person can be good. People, in general, are assholes. Just look at the garbage, thrown out of vehicles, everywhere, or the holes shot in road signs. Cans and beer bottles everywhere and not flushing toilets. It pisses me off!

Brute

Hooked
I fear it might only get worse.

I took a good friend of mine, who I consider a respectable person, on a trip with us through the Mojave Road. We made our way over to the remnants of Fort Piute, and stopped there to admire the site. Part of my buddies admiration included a few kicks to the rock walls and tossing of a few stones off the structure. I was baffled, and a lecture ensued. To him it was just old junk in the desert, and he just didn't get what the big deal was. Took a bit of explaining on my end, and really trying to drill in the historical significance of the site and the privilege it even is to be able to drive right up to it and see it. It really got me thinking about why we saw things so differently, both being college educated professionals and all.

The only thing I can think of is that society imprints in us the need to be out with the old and in with the new. A new cell phone every year, a new car every year in some cases, in general, new trumps old and old is just junk that should be trashed.

I spend the rest of the trip really trying to drive the point home, how everything tells a story, how awesome it is that it is preserved, and how important it is to keep it that way for many generations to enjoy.

I think its up to us all to share that message, since society isn't drilling in these important basics to some folks. I don't assume people appreciate things for what they are anymore.

Poignant commentary...unfortunately all too true...people are carving graffiti into the rocks in Moab, burning down historical sites in remote locations...there are beautiful places in Hawaii that I used to enjoy camping & fishing that now some idiots have thought it would be a good idea to spray paint lewd and lascivious phrases onto the rocks, as if this was an improvement to the natural beauty of the area...I used to think it was the random acts of a very select few individuals...but the idiots seem to be gaining in numbers...

CookieMonsterJK

I deal with the municipalities in big bear ca and the public works devision is in charge of keeping the road ways clean. After a heavy snow season the mountain is riddled in waste from visitors who lack all common sense and respect. It's not just on the road it's were anyone can walk, it's disgusting and sad.

Draconianwinter

I never will understand why people destroy things like this. I love to break things from time to time and even get out a decent amount of gun powder and blow things up, but I do it to things I own not to other people things and definitely not to things that make trips worth while to go on to see things I have never seen.

bthomas

Lost to History Forever - Before & After Photos

Martinez is closed Box Canyon is not.
Ajax Mine is near Box Canyon and has not been vandalized to bad nice place to visit.

The last time I was up to Martinez was about 3 years ago I guess. They had only recently put up the gate about 1/2 mile before the cabins. At that time it was only closed to motorized traffic, you could still hike in, or horseback. I wanted to take my family up to the mill and show them the remains, but nobody felt like hiking any further than the cabins. At that time the rock cabin had pretty well been leveled by vandals, someone had tried dragging one of the big diesel generator blocks out and didn't get very far, the main cabin under the cottonwood was in pretty sad shape as well. Sure a lot different than when I was first up there 11-12 years ago. Very sad.

This is Ajax as of last January

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474154763.102026.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474154728.922854.jpg

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Very sad commentary on what America is becoming.

Thanks for sharing these pictures. At least we can see what once was.

croge17

I think the increase in destruction will only get worse in the coming years. I also think that the same reason we love the JK platform and people loved the TJ platform before it is the same reason we see more rampant destruction in the last 10 years.

In the past if you were travelling to some of these areas you had modified a vehicle significantly in order to be able to reach the areas. Now you can pick up a TJ rubicon with a 4" lift and 35s for less than $10k and get to almost any remote historical site in the USA. As the cost of these extremely capable vehicles come down the people using them change.

When I was introduced to 4wheeling with my uncle in his 71 International Scout he had a factory limited slip and 31x10.50 tires and it was considered a very reliable go anywhere vehicle. Now it wouldn't start half the trails we run in a factory Rubicon. With increased ability of the vehicles the remote / hard to reach places get easier and you get more of society out there.

As the price of preowned JK's continues south I only see the problems getting worse.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think the increase in destruction will only get worse in the coming years. I also think that the same reason we love the JK platform and people loved the TJ platform before it is the same reason we see more rampant destruction in the last 10 years.

In the past if you were travelling to some of these areas you had modified a vehicle significantly in order to be able to reach the areas. Now you can pick up a TJ rubicon with a 4" lift and 35s for less than $10k and get to almost any remote historical site in the USA. As the cost of these extremely capable vehicles come down the people using them change.

When I was introduced to 4wheeling with my uncle in his 71 International Scout he had a factory limited slip and 31x10.50 tires and it was considered a very reliable go anywhere vehicle. Now it wouldn't start half the trails we run in a factory Rubicon. With increased ability of the vehicles the remote / hard to reach places get easier and you get more of society out there.

As the price of preowned JK's continues south I only see the problems getting worse.

Where are you finding TJ Rubicons for less than $10k?? I think you grabbed the wrong oregano.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like some morons drove trough the dry river beds in death valley I believe.

They drove through an ancient dry lake known as The Racetrack. It's the location of where evidence of large rocks moving can be seen from the tracks they leave behind. It really is or, should I say, WAS an amazing place to visit. Apparently, all the douchebags are going out there now.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
They drove through an ancient dry lake known as The Racetrack. It's the location of where evidence of large rocks moving can be seen from the tracks they leave behind. It really is or, should I say, WAS an amazing place to visit. Apparently, all the douchebags are going out there now.

To top it off the fines they punish these idiots with are ridiculous as well.

Top Bottom