The Winch Thread

Napalm

Update: I've got my Gen 1 WARN VR8000 installed. I've tested it only once putting in the wire, and it works well. Haven't got to test it to pull my Jeep yet. Will update soon, but here's a picture!
IMG_1420.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

xman4602

I have heard you are not supposed to put synthetic line on a drum that previously had steel cable on so you might check that out. Maybe someone will chime in on that.

It would be my assumption that maybe the drum will be roughened up by the steel cable and it might grab the synthetic rope in a burr and cause a failure... now I'll have to Google it.. lol

I would think you could file and/or sand off any burrs before adding the synth and be fine. No experience there it just makes sense.

“Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would think you could file and/or sand off any burrs before adding the synth and be fine. No experience there it just makes sense.

I've run and still run synth line on a drum that once had steel rope. Didn't even sand anything down being that there were no burrs to be filed down. All I can say is that I've yet to have a problem. That being said, I would change out the hawse fairlead or rollers if you've been pulling with steel rope.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
^^^this. I've done it several times without issue. Generally there isn't a lot of damage on the drum and you're not going to wind out the last layer of rope anyway. You should always replace or clean up any burrs on the fair lead as this is where you might have problems.

Lank

I've ran it like that for a while now haven't had any issues/see no damage during inspection besides very minor scratches on the roller.

As long as you don't cinch it down on there, you should be fine

Sent from my Nexus 5X using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
For those of you considering a Zeon, it also comes with a centralized beer coaster. That in itself is worth about 500 bucks.

IMG_20171014_120928_611.jpg

Gbint

I hate to say it but my Costco 10,000 champion has be pulling me and friends out of trouble for almost 4 years now. I originally bought it to fit my budget but see no reason to swap out as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

spinned

Got the Warn Zeon 10s. Top of the line in all counts... strong, smooth, fast, waterproof and great looks.
Con: its pricy
IMG_0629.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
I’m going to have to go for a water proof one next time. Had this one submerged half a dozen times and that makes me nervous.

But it's been pulling you and your friends out of trouble for 4 years now. :thinking:

Seriously, you just made the argument for buying a Warn and spending the extra loot. Buy once cry once. Nice to be back in the middle of nowhere and not have to worry if that last water crossing caused your winch to shit the bed.

Top Bottom