The Winch Thread

SPOOOBY

Im getting the Warn Zeon. But can't decide on the 10s or 8s. The 10s is just 100.00 more. What are your thoughts. Is 100.00 worth 2k more?

Chris

I have the warn Zeon 10 s great winch
pros ,solid,great looks,works every time,easy to
use,synthetic line,no kinking or wire injuries
con,none ,ive used it 2 times and worked flawlessly,ergonomic , easy and light for its size.

If you're not living your dead already!

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the input guys, guess I'll spend the extra and get a 10,000. Had to get winched up a ledge yesterday , I want to be able to self recovery instead holding up the group.

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

Draconianwinter

Typically 1.5 is what is used, not 2 but close enough.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I run the M-8000 on my JKU, had it on my 2 door so just swapped it, but will likely upgrade to a 10k in the future. will just snatch block it of I need more pulling power until then.

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

You will likely be fine with that winch.
If he was out west I would agree 100% with the statements, but like me he is in the south east. One thing we get a lot of getter is mud really thick mud slur of the time which is why I started 2x. You get stuck in mud that can at times be the consistency of wet clay the amount of resistance can nearly double the amount of eight you are trying to pull. Now you can and should if possible set up a z drag with snatch blocks which will allow for even more weight, but I was personally never one to account for that in my winch choices. This is solely my opinion and definitely not saying any of you are wrong because you're not, this is just what I was always told growing up down here.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
If he was out west I would agree 100% with the statements, but like me he is in the south east. One thing we get a lot of getter is mud really thick mud slur of the time which is why I started 2x. You get stuck in mud that can at times be the consistency of wet clay the amount of resistance can nearly double the amount of eight you are trying to pull. Now you can and should if possible set up a z drag with snatch blocks which will allow for even more weight, but I was personally never one to account for that in my winch choices. This is solely my opinion and definitely not saying any of you are wrong because you're not, this is just what I was always told growing up down here.

That makes sense. And if you have the money, go with the 10 for sure.

benatc1

Hooked

I'm with ya, was just saying that I swapped over from my lighter 2 door- so instead of spending the money right away I'd use the winch that i already had, which will cover me for a bit.. 10k would be a better option for sure.

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The WJ is very similar in weight to a JKU (excluding larger tires of course). With my rig fully loaded with family, tools, supplies, I've had to pull uphill a few times with the 8 with no issues at all. No mud though and if I had been in the market for a 10 at the time, I would have gone that route.

Draconianwinter

The WJ is very similar in weight to a JKU (excluding larger tires of course). With my rig fully loaded with family, tools, supplies, I've had to pull uphill a few times with the 8 with no issues at all. No mud though and if I had been in the market for a 10 at the time, I would have gone that route.
Yep. 9 out of 10 times that 8k winch will likely be more than enough. It's that possible 1 time that can make say you wishes you had the bigger winch lol

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Been thinking about this topic, and here's my 2cents.....

More important than the capacity of the winch you choose, is the quality so you know it will work when you need it. Your training and knowledge of how to use the winch and accessories so that it can be completed successfully and safely. Having the proper accessories (first and foremost winch controller, gloves, shackles, snatch blocks, tree savers etc). Making sure to have a high quality line (whether synthetic or steel) and that it's not mired in a nest that can't be pulled out when needed. Lastly, use any other means you can in conjunction with your winch to give you an advantage in the pull (i.e. Stack rocks, power the drivetrain, etc).

Most situations should only necessitate a small assist from your winch. If it is really stressing the winch that much, step back and see if there are any other options because failure may be just around the corner. At the end of the day I'd rather have these factors and an 8k winch than 16.5k and missing any of these steps.

Draconianwinter

Been thinking about this topic, and here's my 2cents.....

More important than the capacity of the winch you choose, is the quality so you know it will work when you need it. Your training and knowledge of how to use the winch and accessories so that it can be completed successfully and safely. Having the proper accessories (first and foremost winch controller, gloves, shackles, snatch blocks, tree savers etc). Making sure to have a high quality line (whether synthetic or steel) and that it's not mired in a nest that can't be pulled out when needed. Lastly, use any other means you can in conjunction with your winch to give you an advantage in the pull (i.e. Stack rocks, power the drivetrain, etc).

Most situations should only necessitate a small assist from your winch. If it is really stressing the winch that much, step back and see if there are any other options because failure may be just around the corner. At the end of the day I'd rather have these factors and an 8k winch than 16.5k and missing any of these steps.
I agree. I will just say it must be nice to have never found yourself in a bad situation when your by yourself. I am well aware of how to use every single piece of equipment I own. And I have likely had to set up more z drags then most of the people here on this forum. But like it or not I also tend to wheel alone most of the time. No not a good idea and definitely not preferable, but if it comes to not wheeling or going by myself I will go by myself just as quickly as with another rig and it's driver. Some of the rather bad situations I have been were mostly in South Georgia. One place I was at, and the reason I will always take a winch that is rated more than I will likely ever need, put me at a part of a trail were they had been doing a lot of clear cutting. Got stuck while actually trying to turn around, as I didn't like how the place looked ahead of me. Problem I ran into was that I had winch and all the gear one would ever usually need and more on top of that. Rear end sank completely to the bumper on the Ford f150 I had at that time with an 8 inch lift on 35's. Tried to drive it out under its own power and it wasn't moving. The closest tree I could set a winch too was just over 200 feet away. So I attached two 30' tow straps to the tree protector then attached two 50' ropes that were rated to 5500 lbs then ran my winch line out the rest of the way to those. Well found out the tree that was there wasn't going to work. As due to ground conditions and I am sure other issues I nearly pulled it up out of the ground. The next tree and the one that I did manage to pull myself out with had everything at max length and all but two turns off my winch cable were still left on the drum. All of that to literally pull myself 3 feet. Lol so yeah I am well aware of how to do things and how z drags work but like it or not I know for a fact you will not always be able to set one. Unless you plan to carry so much recovery equipment that you will have no room for anything else. Again how often will that happen? Probably not often at all, but if it does happen again to me I would rather have a winch capable of pulling a lot more weight than I need than one that work in 99% of the situations that can arise. Shit happens sometimes simple as that and likely more often when you have no qualms of going on adventures by yourself. Like anything else to me. I always try to be ready for things I don't expect to have to deal with just in case I do have deal with it.

Last edited:

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
IMG_1479127747.174868.jpg
Any input on this Ramsey? USA or China made ?
Read further it's made in USA

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

Last edited:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I agree. I will just say it must be nice to have never found yourself in a bad situation when your by yourself. I am well aware of how to use every single piece of equipment I own. And I have likely had to set up more z drags then most of the people here on this forum. But like it or not I also tend to wheel alone most of the time. No not a good idea and definitely not preferable, but if it comes to not wheeling or going by myself I will go by myself just as quickly as with another rig and it's driver. Some of the rather bad situations I have been were mostly in South Georgia. One place I was at, and the reason I will always take a winch that is rated more than I will likely ever need, put me at a part of a trail were they had been doing a lot of clear cutting. Got stuck while actually trying to turn around, as I didn't like how the place looked ahead of me. Problem I ran into was that I had winch and all the gear one would ever usually need and more on top of that. Rear end sank completely to the bumper on the Ford f150 I had at that time with an 8 inch lift on 35's. Tried to drive it out under its own power and it wasn't moving. The closest tree I could set a winch too was just over 200 feet away. So I attached two 30' tow straps to the tree protector then attached two 50' ropes that were rated to 5500 lbs then ran my winch line out the rest of the way to those. Well found out the tree that was there wasn't going to work. As due to ground conditions and I am sure other issues I nearly pulled it up out of the ground. The next tree and the one that I did manage to pull myself out with had everything at max length and all but two turns off my winch cable were still left on the drum. All of that to literally pull myself 3 feet. Lol so yeah I am well aware of how to do things and how z drags work but like it or not I know for a fact you will not always be able to set one. Unless you plan to carry so much recovery equipment that you will have no room for anything else. Again how often will that happen? Probably not often at all, but if it does happen again to me I would rather have a winch capable of pulling a lot more weight than I need than one that work in 99% of the situations that can arise. Shit happens sometimes simple as that and likely more often when you have no qualms of going on adventures by yourself. Like anything else to me. I always try to be ready for things I don't expect to have to deal with just in case I do have deal with it.

Cool. Thanks for proving my point.

SPOOOBY

I wheel a lot solo myself and i tote tons or recovery gear for just about every situation, warn 10s, 4-20' x 10,000 lb straps,2 tree savers,2 snatch blocks, 4 max-trax recovery boards,14,000 Pul pal, 8 3/4 shackles, Ton of tools including air tools, powertank, 60" high lift extreme with every accessory know to man, extreme tire repair kit, 2 fire extinguishers( halon and general purpose) and a huge first aid kit, always travel with at least 3 days of food and water. Even with all that its still better to wheel with friend,more fun too in most cases. What ever you do don't buy a cheap winch, cheap winch= cheap result,including recovery gear,take you time and get good gear,it may save your life[emoji106]🏻

SPOOOBY

Assembled in USA with china parts most likely,unfortunately most things we buy now days are[emoji24]
IMG_1479173868.801403.jpg

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Assembled in USA with china parts most likely,unfortunately most things we buy now days are[emoji24]
View attachment 230982

Your most likely right. In my Fire Department we have 2 brush trucks a F350 and a Chevy 3500 both diesels. One has a Warn 16.5 the other has the Ramsey Patriot 15,000. Second time we used the Warn it failed with a electrical issue. Can't remember what it was solenoid maybe it run out but not in, so any can fail.
The price jump from a M8000 to Zeon 10 is about 400 more.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

SPOOOBY

Your most likely right. In my Fire Department we have 2 brush trucks a F350 and a Chevy 3500 both diesels. One has a Warn 16.5 the other has the Ramsey Patriot 15,000. Second time we used the Warn it failed with a electrical issue. Can't remember what it was solenoid maybe it run out but not in, so any can fail.
The price jump from a M8000 to Zeon 10 is about 400 more.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Enen jeep make a lemon every now and again

SPOOOBY

The zeon is a tough winch and water proof,very well built would be a worthy tool for the trail

Napalm

Read through this entire thread with no answer. So, it's time for a THREAD REVIVAL! (Que WJCO, the meme king.)

In the next two weeks I will be investing in a winch. This will be the last large piece of my build and my budget is allowing $400 to spend on it. If I could save up more, I would. This is a use it or lose it sort of deal.

For my last Jeep I went with the Smittybilt XRC 9.5. I had no issues with it and it seemed like a fine winch, but I'm not buying it again.

I want a WARN, but the only one I will be able to afford is the Gen 1 VR8000. I know that this is a Warn from china. My question is, for those of you that went with this route, would you reccomend this winch? Is there anything that makes it stand out from the other chinese winches other than the fact that it's got Warn's name on it?

Top Bottom