MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

Yuriy

I have driven mine right away. If you were taking the cover off and redoing the RTV then yea I would let it sit for a bit

Sounds good, thanks!!

Also, not everything went well :naw:

I have a purple cranium diff cover guard that uses 1/4 socket cap bolt, and some how I stripped one. How can I get it out, so I can replace the bolt?? HELP!!!

Attachments

• 20141015_214537_resized.jpg
    20141015_214537_resized.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 604

bkac

Caught the Bug
How tight do you think it is? You might be able to go up one size on the Allen wrench and try to tap it in with a hammer and then try to loosen it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What brand dino gear oil is everyone using? every autoparts store around me only seems to carry synthetic. im looking to switch back to dino for cost reasons, my arb lockers, and how often i change it due to the nasty rausch creek water

DK'sJK

I did the change this evening, but I was only able to get 1 1/3 qts in the rear diff before it started oozing out the fill hole. Not sure why.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
with the 80w-90 specifications on diff fluid i have been looking for synthetic 80w-90 but haven't been able to find anything full synthetic, just a blend. would i be ok with 75w-90 synthetic?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
with the 80w-90 specifications on diff fluid i have been looking for synthetic 80w-90 but haven't been able to find anything full synthetic, just a blend. would i be ok with 75w-90 synthetic?

The JK manual calls for 75W-90 doesn't it?

Edit, just checked and it does. 75W-90 is what is recommended. I can never find that though and use 80w-90 or higher.

Marauder

From the online owners manual for my 2012:

Front Axle- MOPARGear&AxleLubricant(SAE80W-90)(APIGL-5)orequivalent.

Rear Axle- 226RBI(Model44)-MOPARGear&AxleLubricant(SAE80W-90)(API GL-5)or equivalent.
Fortrailertowing,useMOPARSyntheticGear&Axle Lubricant(SAE75W-140)or equivalent. ModelsequippedwithTrac-Lok™ requireanadditive.

Elon99

Just completed this in about an hour.

First off, thanks so much for the great photos and write-up on this one. My dealership wanted over $300 to do this simple maintenance, which amazes me as it was every bit as easy as an oil change.

I opted to just use the drain plug as shown in the photos as would have no idea what warning signs to look for anyhow if I were to be looking directly at the gears. Using a socket wrench with the stubby 3 inch extension worked perfect for extracting/installing the drain plugs on my Dana 44s. The fluid in the rear differential looked a bit like chocolate milk when it came pouring out, and the fluid in the front looked more like a dark amber honey. I replaced the fluid in both with 75w90 Mobil 1 Synthetic.

Filling the rear differential was simple. As for getting the fluid into the front differential, in my garage I found some 1/2 inch clear flexible hose that I had bought at Lowes and cut off a 8-10 inch piece which fit snugly over the Mobil 1 spout.

The my differentials with the factory covers seemed to only take between 1.33 - 1.5 quarts until they were full up to the fill holes.

Overall an easy project that cost me about $40 when all was said and done.

jknikos

Hello to everybody,

I have a 2009 jk sport(x) with open diffs. I have changed my gears from 3.21 to 4.56. Does this affect the gear oil that i will use or not? Should i stick with the OEM spec? My manual says to use SAE 80W-90.

Note: I saw this question being posted before but couldnt find the answer in the thread.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hello to everybody,

I have a 2009 jk sport(x) with open diffs. I have changed my gears from 3.21 to 4.56. Does this affect the gear oil that i will use or not? Should i stick with the OEM spec? My manual says to use SAE 80W-90.

Note: I saw this question being posted before but couldnt find the answer in the thread.

Welcome to Wayalife! stop by and give us a wave
http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave

no it does not afferct the gear oil used so yes you can stick with oem spec 80w90

jknikos

Thanks for the response :thumb:

I used to write in jkforum.com and i am heading right away to give you a wave :beer:

JLSilerJK

Great write-up, thanks! I plan on doing this this week -09 (x) without any paperwork or an owners manual on the type of diffs. What is the additive the online manual speaks of? Am I correct in thinking that if I use the synthetic 75W90 I should be good to go and wont need to add anything else?

jknikos

Great write-up, thanks! I plan on doing this this week -09 (x) without any paperwork or an owners manual on the type of diffs. What is the additive the online manual speaks of? Am I correct in thinking that if I use the synthetic 75W90 I should be good to go and wont need to add anything else?
If you have an x probably you have open diffs so no additive is needed neither synthetic oil. In my manual (i have both open diffs) it say to use 80w-90.

DMF

I went through all the post but I'm still a little unsure if synthetic gear oil is alternative of adding the friction modifier? Basically if you go synthetic, you will not need the friction modifier?

Top Bottom