MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the great write up. Went to get some diff oil at O'Reilly's. There was not a lot to choose from and I ended up going with this. Apparently a house brand produced by Valvoline. Anyway it was on sale for $13.99 for a gallon. Anyone with any experience/ comments on this stuff good or bad before I go throwing it in this week? Thanks. View attachment 188361

I just used the same stuff but in 75W140. First time. It's only been in for a few days. I'll keep you posted if I have any issues.

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds good. I'll do the same as it is going in this weekend.

If you haven't already purchased your RTV, I just used this stuff for the first time and loved it: Permatex right stuff 1 minute gasket. It sets up quicker and comes in a pressurized can with a trigger. Way easier than the squeeze tube and saved some time. I waited 15 minutes or so to add fluid with it. No leaks so far. I read elsewhere on the internet from other users that it holds up fine for a differential application before I tried using it. Time will tell, but so far, I'm loving it.

download.jpg

Spaste19

Thanks for the tip. Not taking the covers off this time around. That was done about 15K ago, but I'll see if I can find that for next go round. Don't remember seeing it before. Did you pick it up locally or Internet?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the tip. Not taking the covers off this time around. That was done about 15K ago, but I'll see if I can find that for next go round. Don't remember seeing it before. Did you pick it up locally or Internet?

I got it online for something else and ended up using it for my diff service. But, I saw it at Carquest on the shelf. How are you changing the fluid without pulling the covers?

Spaste19

I got it online for something else and ended up using it for my diff service. But, I saw it at Carquest on the shelf. How are you changing the fluid without pulling the covers?

Just pulling the plug, let it drain and refill.

AlaskaErik

I'm getting ready to change my diff fluids and there's a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned. One is that if you tow a trailer you need to use 75W-140 in the rear axle. The other is using lube locker gaskets instead of RTV. Does nobody use them? I plan on switching over to lube lockers when I pop the diff covers, which will be the next time, unless there is a compelling reason to use RTV.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'm getting ready to change my diff fluids and there's a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned. One is that if you tow a trailer you need to use 75W-140 in the rear axle. The other is using lube locker gaskets instead of RTV. Does nobody use them? I plan on switching over to lube lockers when I pop the diff covers, which will be the next time, unless there is a compelling reason to use RTV.

Welcome to Wayalife!

Lube lockers suck ass.

JAGS

Hooked

One of the best gear shops on the west coast uses RTV when doing any diff services. I'm guessing there is reason.

Welcome to Wayalife!

Lube lockers suck ass.

This might the reason. Lol.

WJCO

Meme King

RTV is fine. I used this Permatex Right Stuff last time that was really fast, "one minute gasket." Worked fine and it comes in a pressurized can instead of a tube. Welcome to WAL.

Welcome to Wayalife!

Lube lockers suck ass.

:cheesy:

AlaskaErik

Any reason to not use Valvoline? For 75W-140 it's about six to seven dollars cheaper per quart over Mobil 1. Those seem to be the only brands available locally.

WJCO

Meme King
Any reason to not use Valvoline? For 75W-140 it's about six to seven dollars cheaper per quart over Mobil 1. Those seem to be the only brands available locally.

You'll be fine with that stuff. Just make sure if you have a LSD that you get friction modifier.

Top Bottom