MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

modman86

When I got my ARB I asked ARB about this. They told me that any "friction modifier" is basically an abrasive that WILL over time break down the ARB O-rings and seals. I'm sure this happens over a long period of time but nonetheless, the guy at ARB suggested nothing but dino for me. He said too expensive for synth fluid just to risk the damages to the locker seals and O-rings.

Cheers!:beer:

If the friction modifier is an abrasive wouldn't it wear out the gears faster? Doesn't sound right. Why would such a product be made if it can possibly wear out parts faster?

WJCO

Meme King
If the friction modifier is an abrasive wouldn't it wear out the gears faster? Doesn't sound right. Why would such a product be made if it can possibly wear out parts faster?

It's not an abrasive. I have heard of issues with leaking ARB seals after using it though, although I don't know what the cause is. I'd guess it may chemically react with the rubber or something like that, but it isn't an abrasive.

modman86

I'm getting ready to change my diff fluids and there's a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned. One is that if you tow a trailer you need to use 75W-140 in the rear axle. The other is using lube locker gaskets instead of RTV. Does nobody use them? I plan on switching over to lube lockers when I pop the diff covers, which will be the next time, unless there is a compelling reason to use RTV.

I'm using the lube locker gasket and not one drop of oil has seeped. I even reused it twice and still no oil leaks. I've used it on a Chevy pickup and no leaks either. If you over torque the cover, sure you'll end up smashing the gasket. I had a shop use RTV and it later had a leak due to improper tightening of the bolts. If you're using RTV, put the cover on but only hand tighten the bolts, let it dry at least an hour or so before torqing it down. If you tighten the cover as soon as you use the RTV, it will be smashed thin as paper and it could lead to a leak.

White lightning

So I recently regeared and followed the write-ups instructions including torquing all the bolts except the fill bolt and the drain bolt. The reason is my torque wrench is a 1/2 inch and I don't have a 3/8 inch. I used a normal ratchet and got it hand tight. Will this do or is it deathly important that it's 25 pounds?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I recently regeared and followed the write-ups instructions including torquing all the bolts except the fill bolt and the drain bolt. The reason is my torque wrench is a 1/2 inch and I don't have a 3/8 inch. I used a normal ratchet and got it hand tight. Will this do or is it deathly important that it's 25 pounds?

You should be okay without using a torque wrench being that the torque is so low. The only reason to use a torque wrench is that it'll "help" ensure that the bolts will be on tight enough so that they won't come loose and without going so tight that you break them. If you have an inch pound torque wrench, you can also use it and if anything, it's easier to manage.

Eddie or anyone! This will be my first time doing my diff fluid I want to make sure everything goes smoothly and I have no hiccups. I got 75w-90 oil 4 quarts just in case, I have some break cleaner some right stuff. I have an 07 Jeep jk sport so I read that with rubicons you don't need to add anything but what about my sport? Will the oil I got be fine or do I have to add extra stuff to it?

GraniteCrystal

Eddie or anyone! This will be my first time doing my diff fluid I want to make sure everything goes smoothly and I have no hiccups. I got 75w-90 oil 4 quarts just in case, I have some break cleaner some right stuff. I have an 07 Jeep jk sport so I read that with rubicons you don't need to add anything but what about my sport? Will the oil I got be fine or do I have to add extra stuff to it?

Is it synthetic oil?

Journeyman

Check out post #147 funnel and flex hose make filling the front diff a lot easier. There's a tie rod that gets in the way! It can be done without the funnel though if you don't have one or the time to get one.

Bruduc

Sorry, have to explain (to many things at the same time) I wanted to try with the can before because of the bars, so the little cap on top of the nose fall inside and now I have to remove the cover, one of those days ...

GraniteCrystal

Sorry, have to explain (to many things at the same time) I wanted to try with the can before because of the bars, so the little cap on top of the nose fall inside and now I have to remove the cover, one of those days ...

Ha. I hate that feeling. You'll never make that mistake again.

Top Bottom