MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Changed this weekend

Just changed my diff oil this weekend. A couple of stuck drain plugs (used Jeep, probably never changed before) but other than that it went great! Thanks for the write up; it made it MUCH easier!! Next up: transfer case and transmission...

ScoobyCarolanNC

Just changed my diff oil this weekend. A couple of stuck drain plugs (used Jeep, probably never changed before) but other than that it went great! Thanks for the write up; it made it MUCH easier!! Next up: transfer case and transmission...

Nice! Transfer Case is easy, easier than the diffs. The transmission though.... It's harder if you're new to this like I was.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Bump.

I am doing my gears this weekend, and the last thing to buy before I start turning wrenches is fluid. I remember reading a while back that @Wayalife recommended a heavier oil for 5.13+ gears?? But I can't really remember now and could of sworn it was in this thread... Does anyone know? Or can link the proper thread here? I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs this info. Thank you in advance.

Edit: jeep is a 2015 JKUR Manual

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Bump.

I am doing my gears this weekend, and the last thing to buy before I start turning wrenches is fluid. I remember reading a while back that @Wayalife recommended a heavier oil for 5.13+ gears?? But I can't really remember now and could of sworn it was in this thread... Does anyone know? Or can link the proper thread here? I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs this info. Thank you in advance.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wayalife+5.13+gear+oil+heat

:cheesy:

Exodus 4x4

Bump.

I put Valvoline 80W90 in mine. Not saying it's the right oil but it's what I put in there.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Damn it, welcome to WAL... Haha

I may just look for 140, and do 90 as a backup. I have to do the break in anyway so I'm going by price...

Plus, your locker doesn't work anymore... You sure you can give fluid advice!? ;)

(Rib jab, hopefully not to soon) :thumb:

O'Reillys has some affordable 75-140. You'll be taking it easy for the first 500 miles anyway. Also, if you're upgrading your covers, do them when you do the 500 mile fluid change. ( if you're planning on pulling covered a second time). Won't have to worry about jacking up the new covers taking them off. Gotta keep the pretty paint on em.

Exodus 4x4

Damn it, welcome to WAL... Haha

I may just look for 140, and do 90 as a backup. I have to do the break in anyway so I'm going by price...

Plus, your locker doesn't work anymore... You sure you can give fluid advice!? ;)

(Rib jab, hopefully not to soon) :thumb:

Only the front locker, asshole.... Be gentle pulling shafts in and out of the front. They ruined a seal in my brand new PR44 and I had to pull EVERYTHING out to change it myself. When you put the rears back in, be sure to run some black rtv over the outer seals. Doesn't take much but believe me you'll be glad you did. Take notes. When I have a job again I'm ordering an air locker for the front so I'm sure I'll have to reshim the pinion. If you were closer I'd let you borrow this: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1459826419.723525.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Only the front locker, asshole.... Be gentle pulling shafts in and out of the front. They ruined a seal in my brand new PR44 and I had to pull EVERYTHING out to change it myself. When you put the rears back in, be sure to run some black rtv over the outer seals. Doesn't take much but believe me you'll be glad you did. Take notes. When I have a job again I'm ordering an air locker for the front so I'm sure I'll have to reshim the pinion. If you were closer I'd let you borrow this: View attachment 196341

Awe snap! I bet that book is helpful to have... :thumb: my plan is slow and steady! When You get tired you tend to rush to finish, when you rush, you make mistakes... Slow and steady. I'm planning the whole weekend for the install

WJCO

Meme King
Awe snap! I bet that book is helpful to have... :thumb: my plan is slow and steady! When You get tired you tend to rush to finish, when you rush, you make mistakes... Slow and steady. I'm planning the whole weekend for the install

Have you done gears before? Have a press, inch lb torque wrench etc? Not trying to be a jackass just seriously trying to save you from any headaches.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
O'Reillys has some affordable 75-140. You'll be taking it easy for the first 500 miles anyway. Also, if you're upgrading your covers, do them when you do the 500 mile fluid change. ( if you're planning on pulling covered a second time). Won't have to worry about jacking up the new covers taking them off. Gotta keep the pretty paint on em.

Staying with factory covers for now. The only cover I like the look of better then stock is the dynatrac, but for $170 each... I'll wait until I have money burning in my pockets :naw: or find a WAL'er who is selling them already scratched for cheap

Have you done gears before? Have a press, inch lb torque wrench etc? Not trying to be a jackass just seriously trying to save you from any headaches.

I have never done gears before, but I have good friends who are willing to help. :thumb: while I learn all I can. I have everything necessary aside from the indicator in-lb torque wrench.

Last edited:

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
One of many thanks

Eddie,

There aren't enough words to convey the level of thanks that I have for the effort you have put into these write ups. This past weekend I have changed every fluid in my Jeep by way of using your write ups. The pictures, along with your clear and concise explanations have given me the sack to tackle aspects that I have not felt comfortable of doing myself. I have also used your guides for changing both of my unit bearings, brakes ect.. It's all about doing one thing at a time and learning as you grow into the love of this wayalife. (pun intended) Thank you again, and again.
Bravo Zulu

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie,

There aren't enough words to convey the level of thanks that I have for the effort you have put into these write ups. This past weekend I have changed every fluid in my Jeep by way of using your write ups. The pictures, along with your clear and concise explanations have given me the sack to tackle aspects that I have not felt comfortable of doing myself. I have also used your guides for changing both of my unit bearings, brakes ect.. It's all about doing one thing at a time and learning as you grow into the love of this wayalife. (pun intended) Thank you again, and again.
Bravo Zulu

I'm so glad to hear my write-ups have been helpful to you. :blush:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Eddie,

Bravo Zulu

I'm so glad to hear my write-ups have been helpful to you. :blush:

Can I mirror this thank you Honor2afault? I just replaced the differential fluid on my new Prorock 44 front and ProRock XD60 rear. Your writeup for the front was CRITICAL in saving me time and trouble. I completed it (with the help of my friend QuicksilverJK) within 2 hours, which is not bad for a first time operation. The list of tools was very helpful.

Just so everyone else knows, I used the Valvoline 85W-140 non-synthetic, as recommended to me by Off Road Evolution. I also used Right Stuff RTV by permatex. That stuff was just awesome to work with. The great thing about the XD60 was that I did not have to use any RTV, just lube the gasket and apply 83 foot pounds of torque to the diff cover bolts (83 foot pounds, really? yeh.. really).

Thank you Eddy for being a lifesaver so many times. Thank you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can I mirror this thank you Honor2afault? I just replaced the differential fluid on my new Prorock 44 front and ProRock XD60 rear. Your writeup for the front was CRITICAL in saving me time and trouble. I completed it (with the help of my friend QuicksilverJK) within 2 hours, which is not bad for a first time operation. The list of tools was very helpful.

Just so everyone else knows, I used the Valvoline 85W-140 non-synthetic, as recommended to me by Off Road Evolution. I also used Right Stuff RTV by permatex. That stuff was just awesome to work with. The great thing about the XD60 was that I did not have to use any RTV, just lube the gasket and apply 83 foot pounds of torque to the diff cover bolts (83 foot pounds, really? yeh.. really).

Thank you Eddy for being a lifesaver so many times. Thank you.

Awesome! Glad to hear my write-ups have been helpful to you as well. The new cover on the XD60 is sweet for sure.
Need to get you out on a run with us :yup:

Top Bottom