Manual or Automatic Trans. What's a Newb to do?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Looking for passionate response's on whether to get my 2016 4 Door Rubicon with an Automatic or Manual Transmission. My experience thus far is muddy logging trails where the automatic in my current 2003 KJ has been just fine. I plan to build my new rig for bit more aggressive trail and want to make sure that the bones are solid. All advice either way is greatly appreciated!

I thought I was doing myself a favor by seeking out a manual but if I had known then what I know now I would've got an auto instead.

OJK12

My '12 was a manual and the only reason I traded it was to get an auto because I found myself frustrated while in the rocks. I've been much happier with the auto.

MarkW13

Looking for passionate response's on whether to get my 2016 4 Door Rubicon with an Automatic or Manual Transmission. My experience thus far is muddy logging trails where the automatic in my current 2003 KJ has been just fine. I plan to build my new rig for bit more aggressive trail and want to make sure that the bones are solid. All advice either way is greatly appreciated!

Every person I talk to swears by the auto. Supposedly easier to wheel and good for cruising.

That's great, but life isn't easy and it's a jeep not a station wagon. Granted the jku is probably almost as long. I really like my manual. The new ones have a hill assist feature that will lock the brakes for a few seconds to prevent rolling. I prefer to select the gears instead of a computer handling the whole operation.

The down side is you can't get remote start on a manual and if you have a weak left leg it might get tired. :( Offroading does require a little more skill. I like that part. I haven't been offroad in an auto and don't plan on starting anytime soon.

David1tontj

I have only have auto Jeeps, and I have never had a manual do something I couldn't.

So you've never tried to push start your auto then have you? Haha

Op-
For serious rock crawling- an auto is the way to go. It will make your life easier for just about all technical stuff. Some guys like a manual for the added challenge. I prefer my manual
Because it's fun, I don't really think of it as a challenge anymore.

I also like a manual because I go out in the woods by myself quite a bit with hunting, shooting, and just messing around- and if my rig dies, I know I can bump it.

A good friend of mine built an fj40 with an auto, he lives on top of a big hill, one day it stalled, he lost brakes and couldn't downshift.. Ended up flipping it and it was totaled. He has since rebuilt almost the exact same, but this time it's a manual.

If you're a girl- definitely go auto, it seems like all the girls who have manuals on wal wish they got an auto. (Cough lee cough cough)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I've had both. It came down to what Jeep they had on the lot that I liked the most. Personally, I like manuals, but they have drawbacks, the biggest one being that most everyone I know is not comfortable driving one, if the need were to arise.

Grubbicon

To me it depends. My JK is a auto and I would never trade it for anything because in the rocks it will get old. I also have a 1988 Toyota Pickup that I screw around on fire roads and easier trails that is a manual and it is a ton of fun there. If you ask me what you do with it is which Id rather have.

Masshole15jkur

I just got my 15 last week I ordered it auto I wasn't sure at first and now I'm very happy with my decision. I have two other cars stick I wanted the jeep to take the top and door off and relax driving in the woods

my_jk

I personally really like having a manual transmission. I see the added benefits of having an auto on the rocks, but when it comes down to it I just really enjoy having a manual. I also use my Jeep to tow and it's nice to be able to choose your gears.

Last edited:

DA RUNT

Drive both and see which one YOU like better. As pointed out here, each has their benefits and setbacks. I looked into getting an auto with my current Jeep, but opted for the manual after driving the auto. The wife also prefers the manual. It was a win win. Oh another benefit of the manual IMO is nowadays alot of people can't drive one and won't ask to borrow it lol.

TomJK

If you're looking for a passionate defense of one versus the other, I submit to you this..

http://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangler-jeep-automatic-versus-manual-transmissions.html

That said, I have to say a MANual transmission is the way to go. Nothing like jamming through gears and just feeling the raw power at your fingertips! Plus it's easier to get unstuck, should that happen. And you don't need to jump start you battery, if it dies.
catahoula

Auto! Put in d and go! Then you can use that arm for the babe instead of shifting.
Except if you have an auto, the babe will be with me after she sees me driving like a man :cheesy:

How's that for my inaugural WAL post? I tried to incorporate the proper amount of fact, humor, a quote, and some smileys.... :thankyou:

Top Bottom