Manual or Automatic Trans. What's a Newb to do?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here is how the Overland Journal defines it: "Overlanding describes self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal. Typically, but not exclusively, accommodated by mechanized off-highway capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping; often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and often spanning international boundaries. While expedition is defined as a journey with a purpose, overlanding sees the journey as the purpose."
Granted, I have not traveled internationally, so maybe I should refer to it another way...lol.

:cheesy: Yeah, I've seen the "definition" before.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I am not sure if this was discussed but what if you suffer an injury somewhere along the way or have an injury in general. If I injure let's say my ankle, I can still go wheeling. In fact, when I injured my wrist installing my stinger on my front bumper, I was still able to go out with my friends and family and wheel with one hand. No need for shifting with my injured right wrist.

Another positive for the automatic in my book.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure if this was discussed but what if you suffer an injury somewhere along the way or have an injury in general. If I injure let's say my ankle, I can still go wheeling. In fact, when I injured my wrist installing my stinger on my front bumper, I was still able to go out with my friends and family and wheel with one hand. No need for shifting with my injured right wrist.

Another positive for the automatic in my book.

That's an interesting thought. There was one time years ago that I blew out my ankle hiking up in Tahoe and was left walking with crutches. I couldn't drive at all for the rest of the summer but of course, being that I blew out my right ankle, I wouldn't have been able to drive an automatic either :crazyeyes:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Here is how the Overland Journal defines it: "Camping."

Fixed it for you.

That's an interesting thought. There was one time years ago that I blew out my ankle hiking up in Tahoe and was left walking with crutches. I couldn't drive at all for the rest of the summer but of course, being that I blew out my right ankle, I wouldn't have been able to drive an automatic either :crazyeyes:

You have never done the left foot drive for fun? It's amusing, kind of like having a left-handed wiffleball game. ;)

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

Pussy, I broke my right foot and still drove the semi in the oilfield. Unloading and load pipe by hand.

Of course I'm not your age either

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed it for you.

You have never done the left foot drive for fun? It's amusing, kind of like having a left-handed wiffleball game. ;)

LOL!! I might have tried it but back then, we didn't own any automatics. :crazyeyes:

Pussy, I broke my right foot and still drove the semi in the oilfield. Unloading and load pipe by hand.

Of course I'm not your age either

:cheesy: Well, when you get to my age, maybe you'll understand :D

Sharkey

Word Ninja
He actually just told Cindy he couldn't drive. That way he could drink all the wet woody's he wanted. ;)

Mtb275

I started a similar post a couple weeks ago. I really wanted a manual, but had a hard time finding the combination (color, options, price) I wanted. So I got impatient and i have decided to purchase an Automatic.

stitch1

My last two Jeeps were both manuals. My wife told me I would be a fool to get another manual. It feels weird to me driving an automatic Jeep but I am sure I will like the remote start come this winter. But like others have said finding what I really wanted in a manual is next to impossible around here. The dealership I ended up buying my Jeep from had the largest stock in my area somewhere over 50 unlimiteds. Not a single one had a soft top. None of them. Not even a dual top option. Sure, you could have it added but not a single 4 door jeep on their lot had a soft top. Out of all the two doors only one had a soft top. I asked the sales guy about it and he said no one in that area of town wanted a soft top. :grayno: I guess they don't want manuals either. Makes me sad.

stitch1

Couldn't get as good of a deal. For me the only thing missing was the soft top. Getting a soft top wasn't a deal breaker to me. Plus I'll use the hard top is the winter months.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Couldn't get as good of a deal. For me the only thing missing was the soft top. Getting a soft top wasn't a deal breaker to me. Plus I'll use the hard top is the winter months.

Don't sweat the soft top! You can always find one new or slightly used on CL. I just picked up an OEM premium, twill that was gently used for 3 months for $500.

Top Bottom