1st Ever RallyVenture 2014

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Now that's funny - most if these guys didn't even finish and they placed higher than us. This thing was a joke. I'll post up more when I can.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can't wait to hear! I was curious why you guys weren't posting much.

We weren't posting because we have ATT and service for it sucks out here. Also, EVO1 is a race rig without a cig lighter to charge our phones and being that we were using them to help navigate as well, we burned though our batteries. But, that was our fault and so shame on us. We were however one of the few to actually run the whole course and finish. What we didn't see coming was the fact that we apparently got docked points for not posting pics on Facebook along the way. This is in spite of the fact that the way it was explained to us the night before was, we would get 1 point for finishing, 2 points if we won the stage (based on Facebook posts and activity on it), 0 points for not finishing it and could lose 5 points if we finished too quickly. There were bonus rounds that would give you a lot more points like a shooting event and Mel got 30 points there. Even if we came in too fast 3 times, that should have only been a -15 penalty. The whole scoring system seemed like they were just making things up as they went.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
We weren't posting because we have ATT and service for it sucks out here. Also, EVO1 is a race rig without a cig lighter to charge our phones and being that we were using them to help navigate as well, we burned though our batteries. We were however one of the few to actually run the whole course and finish. Apparently, we got docked points for not posting pics on Facebook along the way. This is in spite of the fact that the way it was explained to us the night before was, we would get 1 point for finishing, 2 points if we won the stage (based on Facebook posts and activity on it), 0 points for not finishing it and could lose 5 points if we finished too quickly. There were bonus rounds that would give you a lot more points like a shooting event and Mel got 30 points there. Even if we came in too fast 3 times, that should have only been a -15 penalty. The whole scoring system seemed like they were just making things up as they went.

Sounds like a cluster fuck. I was also wondering how the points thing worked. Cool concept for an event though.

TheDuff

LOL!! Now that's funny - most if these guys didn't even finish and they placed higher than us. This thing was a joke. I'll post up more when I can.

Wanna hear more about this. Hard to understand it being considered a race with a speed limit in place....

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wanna hear more about this. Hard to understand it being considered a race with a speed limit in place....

That's kinda what I was thinking....

Maybe it works like golf and a low score is the goal?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a cluster fuck. I was also wondering how the points thing worked. Cool concept for an event though.

Oh, it's a cool idea and we had fun doing the run but the whole point system and major emphasis on "social media" was lame. I mean, the whole point of wheeling out in the middle of the Northern Nevada desert is to get away from things like Facebook. Even if we wanted to post up as often as they wanted us to, we simply couldn't or, at least not with ATT. There literally was a point where we had a mandatory text check in we had to make but had zero service at that location. :naw:

I just don't understand how we placed next to last when we checked in at every stage and even got a ton of bonus points on the challenges. We were never told that we would be penalized for not posting on Facebook as much as they wanted us to but that's the only thing I can think of for us coming in next to last.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
We weren't posting because we have ATT and service for it sucks out here. Also, EVO1 is a race rig without a cig lighter to charge our phones and being that we were using them to help navigate as well, we burned though our batteries. But, that was our fault and so shame on us. We were however one of the few to actually run the whole course and finish. What we didn't see coming was the fact that we apparently got docked points for not posting pics on Facebook along the way. This is in spite of the fact that the way it was explained to us the night before was, we would get 1 point for finishing, 2 points if we won the stage (based on Facebook posts and activity on it), 0 points for not finishing it and could lose 5 points if we finished too quickly. There were bonus rounds that would give you a lot more points like a shooting event and Mel got 30 points there. Even if we came in too fast 3 times, that should have only been a -15 penalty. The whole scoring system seemed like they were just making things up as they went.

That sucks. I'd agree AT&T is pretty horrible around this area.

I know Jeff said this was sort of a Proof of Concept for the race and overall race concept, and it sounds like it needs some tuning before it opens to a larger group of participants in the future. Was Mel docked points for 'speeding'?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Apparently, this "rally" was NOT a race. It was supposed to be about enjoying the northern Nevada desert and really, if that's all it was, I'd be cool with it but then, don't call it a rally or suggest that it's some kind of race by having starting positions and getting timed. Maybe call it geocaching or a treasure hunt :naw:

Apparently, this "rally" was NOT a race. It was supposed to be about enjoying the northern Nevada desert and really, if that's all it was, I'd be cool with it but then, don't call it a rally or suggest that it's some kind of race by having starting positions and getting timed. Maybe call it geocaching or a treasure hunt :naw:

Completely agree... They do this in cycling events I do. If it's timed, it's a race... Period!

sent via my phone... which means I'm waiting for something and have gotten bored

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's kinda what I was thinking....

Maybe it works like golf and a low score is the goal?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Funny thing is, they kept referring this thing to golf by using par as a reference BUT, unlike golf, you get penalized for coming in under par. :naw:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks. I'd agree AT&T is pretty horrible around this area.

I know Jeff said this was sort of a Proof of Concept for the race and overall race concept, and it sounds like it needs some tuning before it opens to a larger group of participants in the future. Was Mel docked points for 'speeding'?

Not sure about speeding per say but, I think we got reported for passing people and getting to the next check point too soon.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I assume that you had to use at least some public roads during the event? If so, I think calling it a race (and not emphasizing the speed limit) would have caused some issues for the event sponsors. But I'll let the resident shark opine on that.

Normally I'd be bummed that I was missing out on the fun back home, but I'm heading out for some morning SUP right now. ;)

JAGS

Hooked
Normally I'd be bummed that I was missing out on the fun back home, but I'm heading out for some morning SUP right now. ;)

Yeah, noticed you've had a tough week and a half keeping your daily post count up. ;) :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, it was fun... I just think the whole points thing was lame.
Drive fast in the open desert - get heavily penalized.
Post on Facebook while driving - get bonus points!!
Be a quitter and cut out early - no penalty :naw:

JAGS

Hooked
Oh yeah, it was fun... I just think the whole points thing was lame.
Drive fast in the open desert - get heavily penalized.
Post on Facebook while driving - get bonus points!!
Be a quitter and cut out early - no penalty :naw:

Concept seems a bit random in its execution. Initially hearing about it, it seemed cool driving the 250 miles looking for "bonus" opportunities. But, trying to follow was a pain as I'm not following and constantly monitoring 20+ FB pages for one race.

The rally FB page said only two drivers didn't finish??? Did more leave early?

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I would ask to see your score sheet...pretty crappy way to run an event if the participants are handed a score with no feedback.

Top Bottom