2.0 Catch Can

squirrelmasta

Anyone running a catch can on their 2.0 JL? Needed, not needed? What brand? How often do you have to empty? Good / bad / no difference? Seems to be a lot of positive and negative feed back out there but hard to digest if I should do it. Also did a search and didn’t find anything so apology if this is a repeat.

squirrelmasta

Why? Be honest, what makes you think you need this?
Honestly - the debate on port vs DI engines and carbon build up. And having a vehicle I care about. So I have a 24 Rubicon w the 2.0 (1800 miles) and it runs great. My wife has a 21 (lease so I don’t really care) with about 30k on it and it sounds horrible. I did an oil change on the 21 recently, first one I have done because we had free ones from the dealership and the oil looked horrible. So asking the question from others who maybe have invested the time and have more knowledge of the long term vs other googling I have done.

but I get the debate of just use better oil and change it more frequently. So is there a point to installing it? If not, I would much rather spend that money of fun parts vs a boring catch can.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Honestly - the debate on port vs DI engines and carbon build up. And having a vehicle I care about. So I have a 24 Rubicon w the 2.0 (1800 miles) and it runs great. My wife has a 21 (lease so I don’t really care) with about 30k on it and it sounds horrible. I did an oil change on the 21 recently, first one I have done because we had free ones from the dealership and the oil looked horrible. So asking the question from others who maybe have invested the time and have more knowledge of the long term vs other googling I have done.

but I get the debate of just use better oil and change it more frequently. So is there a point to installing it? If not, I would much rather spend that money of fun parts vs a boring catch can.
What would a catch can do for dirty oil and a loud motor? Those really don’t have anything to do with each other.

squirrelmasta

Ok ok ok. So I’m getting heat here for this obviously. The question is worth it and does it work? Not what do I think it will do, why do I want it. If you don’t have advices or input other than asking me hypotheticals get the hell out. You are no help.

WJCO

Meme King
I can honestly say there is a scientific time and place for catch cans. I just don't see it on a Jeep in nearly all applications. From a DI perspective, maintenance wise an induction carbon cleaning is a better option IMO. DI engines create more carbon because port injectors don't exist to clean the carbon off the valves. I own a 2.0 Jeep as well as a non-jeep ricer build. Both have turbos. I'd put a catch can on my 'other' vehicle before my Jeep because it's driven harder. It's running a shit ton more boost and going through 2+ quarts of oil every 1k just because of the mods, age, and how it's driven. And I still haven't done a catch can. I would save the money on your Jeep unless you really have a reason.

There's a shit load of internet whores who swear by catch cans and they're not even running forced air induction. IMO, it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok ok ok. So I’m getting heat here for this obviously. The question is worth it and does it work? Not what do I think it will do, why do I want it. If you don’t have advices or input other than asking me hypotheticals get the hell out. You are no help.
Relax dude. It was a question. You are talking about dirty oil and a loud motor. Do you have any idea what they even advertise a catch can for? It’s neither one of those things.

But to keep your panties on straight, no they aren’t needed and don’t work.

squirrelmasta

Relax dude. It was a question. You are talking about dirty oil and a loud motor. Do you have any idea what they even advertise a catch can for? It’s neither one of those things.

But to keep your panties on straight, no they aren’t needed and don’t work.
Thanks boss sauce. When 2/2 comments when asking for help seem very Trollish, yeah the thong feels like it gets pulled a little tight.

I trust this forum and it’s member vs random google searches, so I think you for your advice.

squirrelmasta

I can honestly say there is a scientific time and place for catch cans. I just don't see it on a Jeep in nearly all applications. From a DI perspective, maintenance wise an induction carbon cleaning is a better option IMO. DI engines create more carbon because port injectors don't exist to clean the carbon off the valves. I own a 2.0 Jeep as well as a non-jeep ricer build. Both have turbos. I'd put a catch can on my 'other' vehicle before my Jeep because it's driven harder. It's running a shit ton more boost and going through 2+ quarts of oil every 1k just because of the mods, age, and how it's driven. And I still haven't done a catch can. I would save the money on your Jeep unless you really have a reason.

There's a shit load of internet whores who swear by catch cans and they're not even running forced air induction. IMO, it's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
10/4. Thank you for your input!

Top Bottom