20" Wheels? Why?

Samlautranger

Just got back from Wal-Mart. Yeah, I know...:D

There were three JKUs in the parking lot this morning. One Oscar Mike with a Winch set up. All three had lift kits and 33" or 35" tires. And all had 20" wheels. Yes, I looked. :) Did not take a photo, did not have a camera with me.

To be honest, one looked pretty good, the other two a little too flashy for me.

Question is, are the 20" wheels primarily for looks? Or it there some other advantage to having 20" wheels? Better on road performance, etc? :thinking:

Speeddmn

My bet is, it was for looks. Most of the time you can get a decent deal on a 20/33-35 wheel and tire combo of the flebays!

20 inch wheel with a 40 inch tire would be acceptable. If you do the math, a 20 inch wheel and a 33 inch tire would give you just over 6 inches of sidewall, that's not very good.

Napalm

Just got back from Wal-Mart. Yeah, I know...:D

There were three JKUs in the parking lot this morning. One Oscar Mike with a Winch set up. All three had lift kits and 33" or 35" tires. And all had 20" wheels. Yes, I looked. :) Did not take a photo, did not have a camera with me.

To be honest, one looked pretty good, the other two a little too flashy for me.

Question is, are the 20" wheels primarily for looks? Or it there some other advantage to having 20" wheels? Better on road performance, etc? :thinking:

Looks mostly. People put 20's and 35's on their full size trucks so why not do it to the Jeep. There's an "off-road" shop in my hometown and that's pretty much all they put on JKs.

the old statement works here - "It's not the size, it's how you use it";)

WJCO

Meme King
I agree, looks mainly. Not just on Jeeps, but it's becoming a craze on all makes/models. As far as warranty claims, we are seeing tons of tire/wheel claims on these exact setups due to limited sidewall cushion. Bent rims, cracked rims, bubbles in tires, etc. Very common on the German makes. The quality of material could be a contributing factor too, but we mainly see these claims on large diameter wheels with a low-profile tire. Certainly something that wouldn't be optimum offroad.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
All for looks, the only real reason to go this route, is running 40" tires. It is comparable in looks/performance to a 17/37 combo. With the 20/40 you get the same amount of sidewall.

srosario

20" Wheels? Why?

20" american forces
37" cooper
love it, its for crawling slowly,
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460414236.662741.jpg
MALL CRAWLING! that is.

Galo

I have always understood, the whole idea behind larger rims, is the fitment of larger brake components. So for me, it just looks sooo stupid to see 22" rims (or whatever ridiculous size) with tiny factory brakes. Especially if the rears are still drums!
Now, I get it, to each his own, but I just cannot see spending a lot of money on parts that are a detriment to performance and handling.
Side rant: it's kinda like those kids that insist a Honda economy car with a cold air intake and a wing is suddenly fast.
A) intake events are controlled by the camshaft and, B) a wing needs to be tuned in a wind tunnel for setting and measurement of Thrust, Lift and Drag. Yea, this happens.
Anyway, who pulled my chain?
Thanks for letting me rant.
Good Day and God Bless.

G.

GeckoMonkey

I've thought about a 20/33 set up for looks but I think I am going to stick with my 17/33 ... I'm thinking it would be a better ride that way also (17/33 ... more rubber). But to each there own. :)

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I agree, looks mainly. Not just on Jeeps, but it's becoming a craze on all makes/models. As far as warranty claims, we are seeing tons of tire/wheel claims on these exact setups due to limited sidewall cushion. Bent rims, cracked rims, bubbles in tires, etc. Very common on the German makes. The quality of material could be a contributing factor too, but we mainly see these claims on large diameter wheels with a low-profile tire. Certainly something that wouldn't be optimum offroad.

It isn't optimum on road, unless that road is a race track. If there are potholes, you'll lose a tire and a rim. I laugh every time I see them on a pickup or SUV, especially a Jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, 20" wheels are nice to have with a set of 40's :yup:

main.php

cforgerson

Instead of running bigger wheels, I'm on the opposite end and running 15 inch wheels with 35s. Personally, I love the look of a lot of rubber

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of running bigger wheels, I'm on the opposite end and running 15 inch wheels with 35s. Personally, I love the look of a lot of rubber

Without question, 35" tires with a set of 15" wheels is a good setup, just like a set of 37" tires on a set of 17" wheels is a good setup. The amount of sidewall you have on both are about the same. With a 40" tire, a 20" wheel will give you about the same. It's all relative.

TINMAN367

This may be a bit off topic but I have been looking at wheels a good amount and the thing that I have been running into more is finding the right backspacing for a bigger tire to fit well. I'm not looking for anything flashy, something like the Method Race Wheels105 beadlocks are more my style but is would be nice to have a nice fit for a 35" tire. I understand and agree with more tire being better however I like the 17" wheel and 35" tire with the option of the 37" tire down the road. Any thoughts or ideas for a good wheel with the right backspacing?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This may be a bit off topic but I have been looking at wheels a good amount and the thing that I have been running into more is finding the right backspacing for a bigger tire to fit well. I'm not looking for anything flashy, something like the Method Race Wheels105 beadlocks are more my style but is would be nice to have a nice fit for a 35" tire. I understand and agree with more tire being better however I like the 17" wheel and 35" tire with the option of the 37" tire down the road. Any thoughts or ideas for a good wheel with the right backspacing?

There is NOTHING wrong with a 35" tire on a 17" wheel and if anything, you will have LESS sidewall flex. This is awesome on off camber obstacles and if you like to drive hard and fast across the desert. As far as back spacing goes, you will want 4.5" or less to help clear 12.50 wide tires. If you run 13.50 wide tires, I would look at 4" of back spacing or less.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I dont mind 20s on 40s but i still love the 17 on 40-43 look

I run 40's on 17" wheels now and while they look nice and work well enough, they have way more sidewall flex than I prefer and for how I use my Jeep. I simply would not choose to run a bigger tire on a 17" wheel as it would be, in my opinion, stupid but of course, anything bigger than 40" is kind of pointless on a JK. At least, to me anyway.

LurancJK

I run 40's on 17" wheels now and while they look nice and work well enough, they have way more sidewall flex than I prefer and for how I use my Jeep. I simply would not choose to run a bigger tire on a 17" wheel as it would be, in my opinion, stupid but of course, anything bigger than 40" is kind of pointless on a JK. At least, to me anyway.

I agree with you there. Unless its a 2 door stretched and cut up, 40 is perfect. How much pressure do you run in the 40s? Ive heard toyos are stiff and dont flex as much as others. Im looking into cooper stt pros in 37 for my next tires

Top Bottom