2001 TJ build assistance

Pokie

hi everyone, :thumb:

new to the forum... so my apologies if this is in the wrong thread. :eek:

bit about myself:

20 years old, from canada.. i know one of those.. :thumb: i fix trains (heavy duty mechanic) for CN Rail, own a 2001 Jeep TJ & 2007 Subaru STi
i do all my own work (too cheap to pay anyone to be honest)

anyways getting to my topic, i previously owned a 97' TJ which i had a RC 3.25" lift, 31x10.5 MT TTC Claws (3.75BS) and a chunk of I beam for a rear bumper, handled well but not well enough to avoid a collision at 70km/h... :doh::doh::doh:

my new project (2001 TJ) im looking to do a RC 4" lift, 33x12.5 (either MT MTZ, Nitto Trail Grapplers, also throw up some requests) - use for the jeep: minor offroading at the lake (ontario) but mainly for winter driving, lots and lots and lots and lots of snow, cold af, and ill be pulling people out of the ditch left, right and centre..

im indicating the jeep is more of my winter beater then anything but if i do take it to the lake i want it to be good driving on the highway, city and in the snow and mud - without breaking the bank

thanks for reading and helping me out!

Hayden,:)

Instagram @pokie_sti

Welcome to WAL! If you plan on just winter driving your Jeep I'd look at a winter rated tired like the Duratracs or KO2s. Sadly, while the Trail Grapplers are not winter rated. And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you required to have winter tires in Canada?

Also, Rough Country lifts tend to sag. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will chime in on a better brand.

Post up some pics when you can.

Welcome to WAL! If you plan on just winter driving your Jeep I'd look at a winter rated tired like the Duratracs or KO2s. Sadly, while the Trail Grapplers are not winter rated. And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you required to have winter tires in Canada?

Also, Rough Country lifts tend to sag. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will chime in on a better brand.

Post up some pics when you can.

we dont neeeeed to have winter tires by law or DOT, well not at lease in MB - ill post some pictures one i take some :doh: also thanks for the warning on the RC lift :D:thumb:

My buddy has the RC 4" lift. It has been offroaded about 6 times per year for the last two years. Honestly, its falling apart. The control arm bushings aren't holding up, the kit used a drop pitman arm and a track bar relocation bracket, but they aren't parallel. He has already started to replace different parts with other brands. I'd steer clear of this lift.

I'd look into an OME lift with a 1.25" Body lift. With this combo, you don't have to drop your tcase or get an SYE and drivshaft. You could leave the OEM control arms on there if they're in good shape, plus it's a good quality lift that rides nice. Also, this combo doesn't require a new track bar if you dont want one.

Like what was said previously, look into the duratracs for a winter tire. Duratracs are the best for that, but other options include the new BFG KO2 or the Cooper St MAXX.

Do a lot of research before you purchase everything. RC has gotten better over the years, but they do sag and ride like crap if you get their shocks.

X3 on the bfg a/t ko2s. They work amazingly well in snow/ ice. In deep snow te tread packs full of snow and it re-freezes each time around actually creating good traction.

In ice they have lots of surface area and siping.

Very tough tire also- Currently running m in my work van because I love them so much.

My buddy has the RC 4" lift. It has been offroaded about 6 times per year for the last two years. Honestly, its falling apart. The control arm bushings aren't holding up, the kit used a drop pitman arm and a track bar relocation bracket, but they aren't parallel. He has already started to replace different parts with other brands. I'd steer clear of this lift.

I'd look into an OME lift with a 1.25" Body lift. With this combo, you don't have to drop your tcase or get an SYE and drivshaft. You could leave the OEM control arms on there if they're in good shape, plus it's a good quality lift that rides nice. Also, this combo doesn't require a new track bar if you dont want one.

Like what was said previously, look into the duratracs for a winter tire. Duratracs are the best for that, but other options include the new BFG KO2 or the Cooper St MAXX.

Do a lot of research before you purchase everything. RC has gotten better over the years, but they do sag and ride like crap if you get their shocks.

X3 on the bfg a/t ko2s. They work amazingly well in snow/ ice. In deep snow te tread packs full of snow and it re-freezes each time around actually creating good traction.

In ice they have lots of surface area and siping.

Very tough tire also- Currently running m in my work van because I love them so much.

awesome! thanks a lot guys for the input! i still haven't decided what im going to go with just yet, still shopping around... but once i do youll all see the photos ;)

4" 33's

Hey.. I've been using RC for about 3 yrs now..
Sadly I haven't had any Jeep for that long with a RC lift.. I have a 2.5" on a YJ..
My bud did 2.5 on his TJ. my wife did 3.25" on her TJ.. I did the 4" on my TJ.. day and night difference.. I would say definitely do the 4".. The adjustable control arms makes the kit worth it..

The other kit I was considering was the Zone 4.25" but I was crazy over doing a SL & BL as well as changing the MM..
Also I went with Mickey Thompsons Degan38's
The nice thing is the Degan's come with a treadwear warranty...
20141215_173301.jpg11377331_10206169404646665_4484760305367835318_n.jpg

I'm looking at eventually going to 6" lift w/ 35's.. but I need to save up about $5,000 (at least)

Hey.. I've been using RC for about 3 yrs now..
Sadly I haven't had any Jeep for that long with a RC lift.. I have a 2.5" on a YJ..
My bud did 2.5 on his TJ. my wife did 3.25" on her TJ.. I did the 4" on my TJ.. day and night difference.. I would say definitely do the 4".. The adjustable control arms makes the kit worth it..

The other kit I was considering was the Zone 4.25" but I was crazy over doing a SL & BL as well as changing the MM..
Also I went with Mickey Thompsons Degan38's
The nice thing is the Degan's come with a treadwear warranty...
View attachment 149571View attachment 149572

I'm looking at eventually going to 6" lift w/ 35's.. but I need to save up about $5,000 (at least)

looks awesome! id love for my jeep to look like that, could you post the link to the kit that it is..? also is there anything else that has to be added to make this work (different drive shafts, gears, slipieo kits - my apologies on the spelling)? my last jeep the 4x4 didn't work properly, i had done the 3.25" kit from RC - the kits i was debating between now were the 2.5" RC long arm or the 2.5" X-series - but if nothing else is needed for the 4" one i may consider this now!

I know it's your jeep and you're free to do what ever you want with it, but why 6" on 35s? Way to much lift for 35s.

Here's a Currie 4" on an Lj with 35s. Eventually planning on highline fenders with 37s and a tummy tuck, but this gives you an idea of how a 4" on 35s will sit

Attachments

• Big Bear edits (2 of 5).jpg
    Big Bear edits (2 of 5).jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 63
  • Sidewinder stop edit (1 of 1).jpg
    Sidewinder stop edit (1 of 1).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 60
Here's what a 4" lift with 33x12.5's looks like if that's what you are thinking. I always want to go bigger but can't commit to fixing everything I will break so I stick with the 33's :D 1434947604096.jpg

looks awesome! id love for my jeep to look like that, could you post the link to the kit that it is..? also is there anything else that has to be added to make this work (different drive shafts, gears, slipieo kits - my apologies on the spelling)? my last jeep the 4x4 didn't work properly, i had done the 3.25" kit from RC - the kits i was debating between now were the 2.5" RC long arm or the 2.5" X-series - but if nothing else is needed for the 4" one i may consider this now!
It's listed as 4" X Series The only 2 additional things needed is the Transfer case drop & a mount bracket for the transfer case linkage...

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-661.html

I know it's your jeep and you're free to do what ever you want with it, but why 6" on 35s? Way to much lift for 35s.

When I was looking at the tire sizes for the lifts.. That's what Rough Country said..
4" was 33's
6" is 35's.

Every brand lift kit has different limits in articulation I guess RC has more articulation os just under sizes the tires to be on the safe side..

I have 99 TJ with a Rubicon Express lift. Using 4.5" spring in front 3.5 in back. I run 35" duratrac tires. I do have tire rubbing at full stuff in front but love the way the jeep rides on and off the road. It is my DD also. I'm real happy with the RE kits and they are upgradable.

so i ended up going with a Teraflex 3" lift w/ arms! should be in - in a few weeks! i will post before and after photos once shes all done!:brows::brows::brows::brows::D

Top Bottom