2012 Jeep JK Wrangler 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change Write-Up

RoughRider

Okay so I started This today and encountered a problem, whoever changed the oil last time on my jeep tightened the drain bolt way to much and rounded it off what do I do now

WJCO

Meme King
Okay so I started This today and encountered a problem, whoever changed the oil last time on my jeep tightened the drain bolt way to much and rounded it off what do I do now

Vice grips, but have a new drain plug ready before you pull it. Also, if you aren't already using a 6 point socket, sometimes you'll have better luck with a 6 poing rather than using a 12 point. Post a picture if you can.

WJCO

Meme King
So I'm able to get the socket on and everything now it's just so damn tight I can't move it

Start going to the gym, lol. Just kidding.

Hopefully they didn't cross-thread it and now it's stuck. You can try putting a pipe around your ratchet handle for more leverage or use a longer ratchet if you have it. If you have s 1/2" drive socket set as opposed to a 3/8 drive, it will be bigger and beefier. If at any point you feel the plug will break, I would either a)stop and take it back to the last place that changed your oil and let them know, or b)break it off but video tape it. If it breaks, you're looking at a new pan or a machining repair and that shop should be help responsible for cross-threading it.

WJCO

Meme King
Yes sorry I finally got it had to use my entire body pushing against the tire, but besides that it was a breeze thanks for the help!

Did have a little bit of a rookie mistake though View attachment 178570

Lol. Glad it worked out and wasn't damaged. I had a spill when I did my diesel oil change in the driveway. The plug fell when I took it out and blocked the funnel. So the Funnel over-filled and before I could do anything, I had 15 quarts of oil on my driveway. One of my neighbors gave me this look like he was going to call Al Gore. That was almost 3 years ago and the stain is still there but lighter.

ADee1

I changed my oil early, something passed down to me from my father and machinist friends. I was lucky nothing was over tightened. I went easy with the filter cap, about 12' pounds, I don't want any problems with that. I will be the only person ever to change the oil on this unless it needs some kind of warranty work requiring an oil change.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
? Are you warming the engine up first or doing it cold? I understand that hot oil burns but it also flows easier.

Mr.Reacher

Don't think it matters. I always wait till after work. I pull into the driveway go inside change grab a beer come outside by that time everything is "cooled down" a little and go to work. Only takes a few minutes. [emoji41]

MattMc

So, I just finished doing my first oil change on my 2015 JKUR (first couple were free from the dealership). I found that the plastic cap was difficult to remove given the room you're working with, and the angle of the wrench. I ended up getting a 24mm socket and it fit perfectly. Maybe the techs put it on too tight last time they did it, or maybe I'm just not man enough. But I ended up getting it done with the socket.

Coloradan

So, I just finished doing my first oil change on my 2015 JKUR (first couple were free from the dealership). I found that the plastic cap was difficult to remove given the room you're working with, and the angle of the wrench. I ended up getting a 24mm socket and it fit perfectly. Maybe the techs put it on too tight last time they did it, or maybe I'm just not man enough. But I ended up getting it done with the socket.

I had the same experience when I did my first oil change after the dealership service deal ran out. My oil pan plug and filter cap were both overtightened. I ended up using a socket as well.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Doing an oil change on my daughters 2013 sahara and when I get the oil filter out I see this: ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474552162.381998.jpg . My 2014 doesn't have that in my way, what is it?

Gadget

Caught the Bug
This thing has a spring in it, doesn't look like the inside of the replacement or the one I took out of mine yesterday. I will give it a yank and see if it comes out.

Top Bottom