2013 JK-Experience

GCM 2

With all seriousness, what type of GPS do you think they are referring to in the FB post?

Not sure what Facebook post you are referring too, but it almost goes without saying that a Lowrance is the standard for anyone serious about pro level GPS. I run the factory nav in the JK most of the time, but for topography I also have two Garmin 76C's with external antennas that are basically mini-Lowrance's.

I will say that the factory Navigation system in my 2009 is almost like it was designed by PlaySchool for kindergarteners. That is not a compliment on its ease of use, it's almost a cartoonish after thought. Definitely a city/urban centric system that found its way into an offroad vehicle. Hopefully the 2011-13 have a better system.

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Not sure what Facebook post you are referring too, but it almost goes without saying that a Lowrance is the standard for anyone serious about pro level GPS. I run the factory nav in the JK most of the time, but for topography I also have two Garmin 76C's with external antennas that are basically mini-Lowrance's.

I will say that the factory Navigation system in my 2009 is almost like it was designed by PlaySchool for kindergarteners. That is not a compliment on its ease of use, it's almost a cartoonish after thought. Definitely a city/urban centric system that found its way into an offroad vehicle. Hopefully the 2011-13 have a better system.

I've got the 2012 with the NAV, I think its the 430n, but it uses the Garmin software. Overall I'd say it is pretty good. The only real problem I've had is it wants to crash (and reboot) when you don't turn where it wants you to. I guess the NAV gal gets a little pissy when you don't listen to her. It beats some of the crappy NAV systems I've had in vehicles in the past.

I'm hoping the latest update fixes the crash. :idontknow:

1BAMFR

Going off the last three JKX's - 10 lucky invited jeepers, 10'ish sponsor/crew/support rigs. Anymore and it's just too hard to herd all the cats.

One year I will apply and hope to be picked, right now my kids are too small to fly the coop for a week by myself.

Its definitely on my to-do list!

GCM 2

I've got the 2012 with the NAV, I think its the 430n, but it uses the Garmin software. Overall I'd say it is pretty good. The only real problem I've had is it wants to crash (and reboot) when you don't turn where it wants you to. I guess the NAV gal gets a little pissy when you don't listen to her. It beats some of the crappy NAV systems I've had in vehicles in the past.

I'm hoping the latest update fixes the crash. :idontknow:

Ahh, sounds like the same one I have. Mine started crashing on the way home from last years JKX, very frustrating. My reference for factory nav spans almost all makes and models, ford, BMW, GM, Land Rover/Range Rover etc. The absolute best I have seen from the factory was the Rover stuff, followed by maybe fords offering. My wife's new Mercedes is even just mediocre at best.

GCM 2

One year I will apply and hope to be picked, right now my kids are too small to fly the coop for a week by myself.

Its definitely on my to-do list!

I just checked the official JK Experience 2013 site and here is a screen capture on number or invited guest.

Attachments

• image-1996991551.jpg
    image-1996991551.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 402

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
JKX.PNG

Greg, This is what I was referring too. I have a Garmin and an SD card with Topo maps of the Western USA. If I need to get another one it would be good to know. I meet all the other requirements already.

GCM 2

You going to be on this one too?

As an invitee, probably not. I have done three JKX's and they are awesome, expensive, hard, wear your ass out tiring, but awesome. Someone else deserves a slot that I could potentially beg, kick, scream and whine for :cheesy: Mel really does a great job at spreading the love between 5 participants who enter online and 5 that he picks at random. Basically, Mel is a friend and I stay out of his business. I would like to think that is why we are friends :thumb:

But to be perfectly clear for everyone- My only association with the JKX is as a participant on two and as part of the support crew on the third. I am no official anything of any sort for the event. Only Mel Wade knows the 5 W's; Who, What, When, Where and Why. The rest of us remain in the dark until the start of each day of the event, and thats the best way to keep it.

I hope all of you get a chance at some point to do one of these. But remember, there is always EJS in MOAB if you want a less expensive JKX-lite version of some incredible wheeling and a chance at meeting up with all the great people on this forum :thumb:

Topper

Well brothers I would like to make it to this years jkx that'd would be a excellent adventure to go on with my brothers but not this year like my brothers sead my rig needs the up grades but tell then brothers we will meat some day. I will be making it to the EJS in moab and hope to meat some of my brothers there.

CarsonCindy

Administrator
Staff member
JK-Experience just posted up the first invited guest for JKX 2013...

Philippe Chivee from NEW YORK
547681_570532239634078_1018079498_n.jpg

Congrats! :clap2:

Top Bottom