35 on stock tire carrier

Right Rudder

I'll try and go take pics of mine tomorrow once it gets light but the only thing I know I hit for sure is the cb mounting point attached to the upper passenger side of the carrier. Antenna is on a spring so it gives it a slight forward bend.

scull20

I'd have to double check, but I think the 3rd brake light

Cut the third brake light down, and zip tie it. There are definitely better ways that others have implemented, but this is working for me, for now. You'll also probably find that then bumper is in the way and will also need to be removed.

Push the tire on (this will compress the isolators a bit more than previously) and get the lugs threaded. Then tighten them down and it will snug the wheel and tire up so it doesn't bounce around while driving.

I've got my 35/12.50/17 mud grapplers on OEM wheels hanging on the stock carrier for over 6 months and 10k miles with no issues.

IMG_1478226969.107858.jpg
IMG_1478227128.055836.jpg

You can space out the spare wheel a bit further and extend your isolators if you don't want to cut down the brake light or remove the bumper. Just make sure the tire is snug up against the isolators to keep it from moving.

Last edited:

Frost

Cut the third brake light down, and zip tie it. There are definitely better ways that others have implemented, but this is working for me, for now. You'll also probably find that then bumper is in the way and will also need to be removed.

Push the tire on (this will compress the isolators a bit more than previously) and get the lugs threaded. Then tighten them down and it will snug the wheel and tire up so it doesn't bounce around while driving.

I've got my 35/12.50/17 mud grapplers on OEM wheels hanging on the stock carrier for over 6 months and 10k miles with no issues.

View attachment 229468
View attachment 229470

You can space out the spare wheel a bit further and extend your isolators if you don't want to cut down the brake light or remove the bumper. Just make sure the tire is snug up against the isolators to keep it from moving.

Awesome! Thank you for the reply, I will try it out this weekend!

Frost

I'll try and go take pics of mine tomorrow once it gets light but the only thing I know I hit for sure is the cb mounting point attached to the upper passenger side of the carrier. Antenna is on a spring so it gives it a slight forward bend.

I have the Teraflex CB mount in the same spot, no spring on my antenna, I could run into that problem also

KJ_CJtoJK

I have my Goodyear 315/70/17 on stock wheels mounted to stock carrier (with stock bumper) with 1.25" wheel spacers and the longer Daystar rubber isolators.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Sorry to bring this thread back, but I didn't find my answer reading through it all.

I have 35/12.50/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, on the stock JK wheels, and want to put my spare on the stock carrier.
I don't have the money right now for an aftermarket tire carrier, but I would only be putting it on the stock carrier until I have the funds to upgrade.

The 35 on the stock wheel doesn't have enough backspacing to fit on the stock carrier. Can i use a wheel spacer on the stock carrier, and if so what width would I want?

IMG_1478229081.174179.jpg
Stock wheel no spacers, POS rear bumper removed. Running 35x12.50/17 Toyos IMG_1478229417.071870.jpg
It will be very tight against rubber isolators on gate but that's what you want.

Greenmachine14

I did the same as these guys and took off the pos plastic bumper. I did cut my third brake light down and attached it with some sheet metal brackets and self tapping sheet metal screws. 1478230525541.jpg 1478230547516.jpg

Sent from my VS985 4G using WAYALIFE mobile app

USMC Wrangler

I know this is different with aftermarket wheels, but I am running the stock carrier, EVO rear fascia, 35x12.5r17 (spare is a cooper STT), with DIY PVC isolator extensions, chopped factory 3rd brake light and the RH4x4 plate, plate light and 3rd brake light relocation kit.

IMG_1478275672.006760.jpg

IMG_1478275694.591783.jpg

IMG_1478230785.483874.jpg

IMG_1478230796.757311.jpg

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Last edited:

christov11

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I didn't find my answer reading through it all.

I have 35/12.50/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers, on the stock JK wheels, and want to put my spare on the stock carrier.
I don't have the money right now for an aftermarket tire carrier, but I would only be putting it on the stock carrier until I have the funds to upgrade.

The 35 on the stock wheel doesn't have enough backspacing to fit on the stock carrier. Can i use a wheel spacer on the stock carrier, and if so what width would I want?

YES, you can put a wheel spacer on the stock carrier, I have that now. like the thread says, get the insolators snug.

Comparing with mine, i cant imagine a bigger spacer than a 1.5" would be needed.

PokerStogey

There was a review I saw of the Cooper STT Pros (315/70 17), stock rubi wheels with stock rear set up and the guy added 1.5 wheel spacer... seemed to fit great.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

I wish I had as much luck as people are posting. My tailgate has started to crack and rattle and pop over every pebble on the road. Stock carrier did not work for me. :/ I'm running it with no spare right now and it has not made a sound since.
20161125_195001.jpg 20161125_194952.jpg 20161125_194952.jpg 20161125_194944.jpg

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

PokerStogey

I wish I had as much luck as people are posting. My tailgate has started to crack and rattle and pop over every pebble on the road. Stock carrier did not work for me. :/ I'm running it with no spare right now and it has not made a sound since.
View attachment 232643 View attachment 232644 View attachment 232644 View attachment 232645

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Damn! I'm hopefully ending up with the STT Pro's by end of next week and was planning on stock carrier... you have 35's? Well isolated?

JKJeff

I have a 35x12.50 Toyo on my stock tire carrier. I extended it out to get it off the bumper so the factory isolators don't even touch the tire so I ordered isolators that are cut to fit, didn't have to cut them and it's still not as tight as it should be, hitting a big enough bump causes the tailgate to rattle on the latch, any ideas?

USMC Wrangler

I have a 35x12.50 Toyo on my stock tire carrier. I extended it out to get it off the bumper so the factory isolators don't even touch the tire so I ordered isolators that are cut to fit, didn't have to cut them and it's still not as tight as it should be, hitting a big enough bump causes the tailgate to rattle on the latch, any ideas?

Yep. The pvc trick should still work for you. See post 71 above. If still returnable, send back the aftermarket isolators and extend the factory ones.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Top Bottom