360 build up

Sokymike

Ok here's my plan for my 79 cj7 I currently have a strong running 304 in it but I ran across this old 360 dirt cheap so I'm gonna start putting it together slowly. My jeep does see the street a couple days a week through the summer and trails on the weekends (rocks mud and creeks). I'm currently running a t18 tranny and narrow track axels with mechanical lockers. I have a 4 inch rough country over spring lift and 35 in discoverer stt tires. This is my basic parts list and plan for the build of you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
360 build
Hot tank and flux
Bore .30 over and hone
Stroker kit ? (Definitely interested in one if I can find it)
Chamfer oil passages
Rear oiling kit (American performance)
Wiseco flat tops and rings
Wiseco rods
Line bore crank and cam bearings
Deck the block
De-bur the block
Polish port and shave the heads
3 angle valve job
Hydraulic Cam (272int/282exh, 214int/224exh at .050 lift. The gross valve lift is .472int/.496exh and lobe separation of 112 degrees)
Holly 650cfm carb
Edelbrock performer intake
New timing cover / oil pump
Oil line kit for timing cover
Complete Msd ignition
E3 plugs
Long tube header and 3 inch straight pipes

Simulated dyno curve puts it at peak 365 hp at 5500 rpm and peak torque at 400 ft lbs at 4000 rpm however it shows 361 ft lbs at 2000 rpm I think this would be a good fit for me but if you guys know how to do it better cheaper or bigger I'm all ears.

I'm dead set against dropping in a 350 it's just not my thing I'd much prefer to keep it all amc.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1444581474.822579.jpg

holliewood61

Why the 360? If you have a strong running 304, why not adress the what I assume is stock gearing and call it a day? 304's are great little engine. I run one with a small cam and efi. I installed 4.88 gears and spin 37's all day long. Amc engines are expensive to build, and you could probably find more useful ways to spend that coin when it comes to your rig.

Sokymike

I picked up the 360 for 150 dollars running so I couldn't pass it up. I'm perfectly happy with my 304, but the miles are getting kinda high on it and it gets used and abused quite a bit. I run on a pretty low budget so I just figure if I build the 360 over the next year or so it's easier on the pocket book. And when it's all done I have a brand new engine setting there for when the old 304 bites the big one. As far as my rig gos it's set up in such a way right now that it will meet all my needs and has done everything I've ever wanted to do with it so I'm not really looking for an upgrade so much as a back up engine.

Sokymike

That's a pretty good set up what do you think of the 401 kit for the 360 though ? Cammed appropriately my simulation dyno program shows 450 peak hp and 670 ft lbs of torque. But how reliable is it ?

holliewood61

That's a pretty good set up what do you think of the 401 kit for the 360 though ? Cammed appropriately my simulation dyno program shows 450 peak hp and 670 ft lbs of torque. But how reliable is it ?

The power numbers seem way off, especially the torque numbers. You also need to look at where its making the power. Off idle to around 2500-3000 is where you need it in a jeep. Making 450hp at 5700 or whatever your software says is useless, just because youll never see it. I can count the times mine has seen 4500 on one hand, and im hard on it. Hell I have my rev limiter set at 5 grand. These engines weren't meant to wind tight. Can they be made to? Yes, if built right. Is it useful or practical in any way? Not so much.

What do you intend on doing with this jeep? Knowing that I can help you out more.

Last edited:

holliewood61

If your dead set on building the 360 I personally would do a .030 over bore with a howards cam part # 314131-10. It specs out at .527 intake .540 exhaust on lift. Advertised duration is .261 intake .267 exhaust .214/.220 @ .050. A good intake and headers will complete the package. A cdi ignition would help a ton, and efi would help keep it the sweet spot.

Sokymike

This jeep sees light trails a couple times a month some mud a few rocks but nothing over the top. I put this thing together for me and my kids to enjoy so I don't do anything very extreme most of the time because they are with me. Occasionally I crawl through some creek beds and stuff on the farm playing around. I drive it to work a couple times a week during the summer and I use it in the snow and mud in winter on the farm when it's to bad to get my truck out. The only reason I'm building the 360 is because I picked it up so cheap ( I bought a whole j10 for 150 dollars lol ). My 304 has a lot of miles on it, it's starting to use oil and it's got a lower end knock that's getting steadily louder. The biggest thing is if I'm going to rebuild either motor I'd rather it be the 360 purely because it's what I want. While I'm at it I just want to get the most useable power out of that engine I can so that a year from now I'm not looking at it wanting to do something more. (Do it right the first time)

Sokymike

I like the idea of efi but my knowledge of how to install it and tune it is extremely limited so I'm probably going to steer more into the areas that I'm more comfortable with.

holliewood61

I used the msd atomic efi system. I did the ignition box, distributor, and coil as well all in one whack. Install and tuning were straight forward. It took a weekend and a case of beer to have it up and running.

holliewood61

The efi master kit, distributor, rotor phaser, coil, 6a box, and plug wires was right around $2800. Cold starting, driveability, and off road running all improved drastically.

Sokymike

That's kinda steep but if the money is there when I get ready to top it off it would be worth it. I got the block back from the machine shop today. It was bone stock never bored or honed however it has a small crack forming on the left head deck. Shop says it could be welded but they don't weld cast. I don't know if this block is worth pursuing at this point. It's cracked on the front far left corner where the head bolt threads all the way to the outside of the wall about a 1/4 inch down.

Sokymike

Ok i have a friend who is an excellent welder (has his own business for longer than I've been alive) welded my block and helped me tap the head bolt whole back out. Ultrasound shows the weld to be good so moving forward from here. It's back to the machine shop on Monday.

Sokymike

I agree with the Howard's can you recommended . I also found a set of aluminum heads and edelbrock performer intake at an estate sale auction. I'm going to try and buy those for it true auction is next Saturday so in hoping to go that route. I'm kind of stuck on also putting the 401 stroker kit in it as well. I found one online for 700 including shipping. Do you think it would be worth doing ?

holliewood61

I believe you would be more than happy with just an overbore 700 sounds really cheap for a stroker kit, makes me wonder about the quality.

Top Bottom