392 after UD 60's questions...

Havoc 392

Ok so I did UD 60's and I have my front and rear lockers attached to my sPod.

But I have questions about my transfer case. I have a Tazer so I should just turn it to rear wheel drive permanently, right? My transfer case is Auto 4 wheel, Part time and then 4 wheel low. So what is the procedure when I go out and wheel after locking my hubs? Is Auto and Part time just 4 wheel? I am a newbie to axles since my last JL I put on 40's and rocked it with my 44's.

Thanks for any info

Attachments

• DSC06186.jpg
    DSC06186.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03693.jpg
    DSC03693.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC03724.jpg
    DSC03724.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 15

CalSgt

Hooked
IIRC the 392 transfer case is always in 4WD and has clutches to prevent binding on pavement similar to many AWD or Full time 4x4 vehicles. I assume the Auto 4 wheel and part time just impact how the clutches work.

Unlocking your front hubs essentially will make it a 2wd vehicle but I assume the driveshaft would still spin.

An additional thought... If for some reason the rear tires spin while the front hubs are unlocked, I'd gamble to say it would throw a CEL for the transfer case, traction control, and or ABS.

Havoc 392

IIRC the 392 transfer case is always in 4WD and has clutches to prevent binding on pavement similar to many AWD or Full time 4x4 vehicles. I assume the Auto 4 wheel and part time just impact how the clutches work.

Unlocking your front hubs essentially will make it a 2wd vehicle but I assume the driveshaft would still spin.

An additional thought... If for some reason the rear tires spin while the front hubs are unlocked, I'd gamble to say it would throw a CEL for the transfer case, traction control, and or ABS.
Yes, in traction control is on and I get on it, it freaks out! I have to turn it off

Yes, in traction control is on and I get on it, it freaks out! I have to turn it off
The transfer case clutch packs may wear out much faster if you unlock the front hubs given that now they are seeing twice the stress. Besides the system is designed with the expectation of sharing the load across four tires and if the load is only at the rear, it is not as the design expected.

Havoc 392

The transfer case clutch packs may wear out much faster if you unlock the front hubs given that now they are seeing twice the stress. Besides the system is designed with the expectation of sharing the load across four tires and if the load is only at the rear, it is not as the design expected.
Which is why I was thinking of going with an Atlas

Which is why I was thinking of going with an Atlas
I won't mention the YouTube channel here, but an "influencer" burned out his clutch packs (within a year) doing normal aggressive off-roading, but not much in the way of rock crawling. But this does not happen to everyone so it may partially depend on bad luck.

Havoc 392

I won't mention the YouTube channel here, but an "influencer" burned out his clutch packs (within a year) doing normal aggressive off-roading, but not much in the way of rock crawling. But this does not happen to everyone so it may partially depend on bad luck.
I guess I am just wondering what my setup should be and what is the proper way to run this

Top Bottom