40" tire question

Going to order 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers and Slabs soon. I can't decide on 17" or 20" rims. I like the look of the 20" better, but I think the 17" will do better off road. Any advice?

trailless

Caught the Bug
I would honestly go 17".

Leave the 20+ to the mall crawlers. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Going to order 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers and Slabs soon. I can't decide on 17" or 20" rims. I like the look of the 20" better, but I think the 17" will do better off road. Any advice?

Personally, I would get the 40x15.50's and they ONLY work with a 20" wheel. That what I ran on Moby and the extra wide stance was nice to have.

I would honestly go 17".

Leave the 20+ to the mall crawlers. ;)

x2. Soon after you'll be eyeballing hydraulics and sparkly mural paint of your jeep painted on the back of the murals jeep and etc etc.

17's.

Well, try not to laugh too hard but, here's a shot of my mall crawler rolling on 20's....

main.php

20's on 40's is like running 17's on 37's :cool:

Sithwindu

Personally, I would get the 40x15.50's and they ONLY work with a 20" wheel. That what I ran on Moby and the extra wide stance was nice to have.

Well, try not to laugh too hard but, here's a shot of my mall crawler rolling on 20's....

main.php

:cool:

Defiantly the way to go! A lot more expensive but you get a meatier tire and wider stance as well, love the look of a wide tire too!!

But Eddie don't they have a 40x15.50 for 18"s? (Or it could have been a 38x15.50 I'm thinking of)

mrmet1983

If you have 40s ur no mall crawler and seeing as how big a 40" tire really is it makes perfect sense to jump to a 20" rim. It wud look almost the same as a 35" tire in a 17" rim

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

1BAMFR

main.php

Eddie, What suspension does Moby run? Same coilovers as Rubicat?

I thought those were 20's on Moby. I looked at different setups for about 8 hours last night. I think I will go with that setup...Thanks everyone. See you at the mall!

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

main.php

:cheesy: I guess the rule can have a few exceptions.

Shaved Ice

I read years ago that a good rule of thumb for balancing steering performance with off-road ability was for the rim to be half the size of the tire. For example, a 17 inch rim should run a 34"tire. Odd number tire sizes should just get as close as you can. Using that logic, I would run the 20" rim on the 40" tire.

Last edited:

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I read years ago that a good rule of thumb for balancing steering performance with off-road ability was for the rim to be half the size of the tire. For example, a 17 inch rim should run a 34"tire. Odd number tire sizes should just get as close as you can. Using that logic, I would run the 20" rim on the 40" tire.

Interesting, I always heard "as much sidewall as you can." I'm not that old at all but, that was still awhile ago and they were older guys I would watch work on their vehicles as a kid. I never got to drive their trucks so maybe steering performance wasn't a thing haha.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Well now. I would go 20" if that's what 20" wheels look like with 40's. I guess I can't even picture 40" tires, Coming from modifying VW's...

1BAMFR

Well now. I would go 20" if that's what 20" wheels look like with 40's. I guess I can't even picture 40" tires, Coming from modifying VW's...

I love the slammed down V-Dubs on those little 15" rims. A guy around town has one with airbags. The frame literally sits on the ground.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting, I always heard "as much sidewall as you can." I'm not that old at all but, that was still awhile ago and they were older guys I would watch work on their vehicles as a kid. I never got to drive their trucks so maybe steering performance wasn't a thing haha.

That line of thinking is really really outdated. If you think about it, factory Rubicons come with 17" wheels with only 32" tires and they work just fine. Too much sidewall allows for a lot of sidewall flex - not something I prefer to have on tough obstacles or in off camber situations.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

That line of thinking is really really outdated. If you think about it, factory Rubicons come with 17" wheels with only 32" tires and they work just fine. Too much sidewall allows for a lot of sidewall flex - not something I prefer to have on tough obstacles or in off camber situations.

Yeah I figured as much. I guess just actually reading his post drove the modern way of thinking home haha. "Learn something new everyday."

hillybilly

I've always figured a wheel size half the diameter of the tire would put me in the ballpark. But, I always have to factor in the price diff between the wheels/tires too! The bigger the hole in the middle, the more the tire costs... but less material! Go figure! And of course the larger wheel will be more also.

Top Bottom