400 HP / 450 Torque Hurricane Twin-turbo I-6 is Here

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

TrailHunter

Hooked
I think what has been achieved with 6 cyl motors is impressive. I sound like a broken record.. but I really enjoy the 2.7 twin turbo in my F150.. and continue to wish it was in my Rubicon. So I’m looking forward to seeing this or similar in Jeep production.

Spazbyt

Hooked
I have never owned anything with a turbo and I'm not against them in any way. I'm just unsure about their reliability in the long haul.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Well, here it is, the engine that will be replacing the V8 HEMI or at the very least, the 5.7L. Stellantis is also saying that the High Output (HO) version is supposed to deliver more than 500 hp/475 lb.-ft.

So... what do you think?

View attachment 373598

The concern I have is heat. In a road vehicle it might not be a problem, I’m not sure how they are going to keep it cool in a Jeep that’s doing 2.5 MPH down a boulder strewn trail. 🤔

Maybe they already have that figured out?

It will probably sound like a C-130J! 🤣😂

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The concern I have is heat. In a road vehicle it might not be a problem, I’m not sure how they are going to keep it cool in a Jeep that’s doing 2.5 MPH down a boulder strewn trail. 🤔

LOL - well, so far, they haven't announced "what" vehicles are getting the new motor but there has been a lot of speculation that anything that had a 5.7L will get it. In other words, I don't think we'll be seeing this in a Wrangler or at least, any time soon. I do suspect it will be available as a crate motor but then, I'd also be willing to bet it has the same overheating issues that HEMI swaps have now.

I have to say, about time they got into direct injection.

How do you all feel about the need to run 91?
I always run "premium" (2.0 Liter Turbo) but have noticed that in much of urban Texas, 93 octane is the norm but when you go to the Texas panhandle or New Mexico, the "premium" is usually less than 91 octane and regular is 86. So 91 octane is not available in many rural areas (where Jeeps like to go). So I never let the tank get less than half full so that the gas averages out and I am assured to have enough gas to find more gas.

CalSgt

Hooked
I have to say, about time they got into direct injection.

How do you all feel about the need to run 91?
The wife's Yukon XL has the direct injected V8 that requires 91 and really it seems to get better economy than our last one that didn't have the high octane requirement.

Direct inject doesn't sway me a bit, its the turbo's that worry me. Too many turbo cars from the late 80's & 90's had smog issues as soon as they go out of warranty.

Sgt_USMC

I think after it has been around a bit and the inevitable problems are worked out this might be a good candidate to swap into a YJ or CJ. 😈 lots of fun to be had there!

benatc1

Hooked
I would like to see this in a wrangler, or even a lesser powered version. Hopefully priced must less than the 392 lol. But assuming it might not show up in a wrangler anytime soon other choices will have to be made ☹️

GP NOIR

Hooked
I find the return to the inline 6 interesting. One flaw inherent to all inline 6 designs is a potentially fatal crankshaft flex at- what was it? 6000 rpm? It was high enough that for normal street driving, it wasn't a concern, but low enough that guys running their cars hard had to be aware. If the engine was revved through the fatal RPM range (going up or down), there was no problem. But if the engine were continuously revved in that range, the crankshaft would flex and major failures would happen. I wonder if this new inline 6 will have the same problem? It's amazing how todays engineers have solved a lot of past problems.

Being an inline, it's gonna be a long engine and the challenge will be to keep the engine's weight aft of the centerline of the front wheels. A greater challenge will be fitting it into a front wheel drive vehicle. Being a 3.0, it's likely shorter than inline 6s in the past. Short enough to be transverse mounted?

My question is, why not the V6? The 60 degree V-6 is a wonderful engine and has advantages in Noise/Harshness/Vibration.

Turbos are wear items, like tires and fan belts. They do wear out and are expensive to replace and twin turbos are twice as expensive. In this case, the engineers have taken steps to control heat and thus, increase turbo service life with liquid cooling the bearings and an electric pump to keep coolant flowing after the engine is shut down. Liquid cooled exhaust is another interesting feature.

I thought we'd seen the pinnacle of ICE technology. Certainly, I've seen it plateau. More than once. Yet, scientists and engineers continue to surprise. They sure don't make them like they used to. Back in the day, that was a curse. Today, it's a blessing. I loved the 4.0 in my Cherokee. I love the 3.6 in my Wrangler more.

Improved turbo systems, clean burning diesels and hybrids. I'm willing to see where these new designs take us.

GP NOIR

Hooked
PS- They will be offering two versions- HO (High Output) and SO (Standard Output?). The HO is designed to run on 91 octane. The SO makes less power and 91 octane is recomended

Brute

Hooked

Heat is an inherent problem in all the hemi’s…there are ways to mitigate it…most of the vehicles I own run 92 oct, except Brute & Anvil (when I owned it), which run on 89, so no new pain at the pump for me…475 ft/lbs of torque is pretty decent though…

Top Bottom