Aftermarket sub and amp into stock sub with RCA adapter

Bryan__howell

I decided I wanted to install my subwoofer and amplifier into my jk today. I went ahead and bought the wiring kit and RCA adapter. Here's what I did.

1- ran the power wire to my amp, off of my battery

2-ran a remote wire from my cig lighter to my amp, so when the jeep turns on, so does my amp.

I took off my stock sub, and found wires (that were running to the stock sub) which I hooked up (correctly) to my RCA converter.

I plugged the RCAs in, everything was going as planned.

I then turned on my jeep, amp turned on, but the sub was not hitting.

I had a friend plug in his phone cord to my amp, it had RCAs.

Still the sub wouldn't hit.

My sub worked perfectly when we tested it in his car hooked up to his amp.

The amp works too, I think, because it came out of my old jeep, and was working when I pulled it out.

I was very careful when storing everything.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be? Iv attached some pics of my amp. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422226092.335369.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422226102.941521.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1422226119.417142.jpg

toxicwaste29

Are there an lights on the amp to confirm your getting voltage to it? If not go through and check it with a multimeter.

You said the amp turned on but is that assumed or actual?

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Yes check voltage with a meter or a check light. Also just a thought on the 12v+ wire i notice the crimp plate is on the insulation. Cut the insulation back alittle so the crimp plate is on the actual wires maybe even check them all. I know from trouble shooting wires this is one of my big head aches.

Skid_Kid

If your lights on the amp are coming on that only means your amp is getting power. You still need to run line in from the RCA converter and line out to the sub.

Last edited:

DCTomlin19

Gtony and Skid, the OP posted before, he had the output wires, to his sub unhooked when the picture was taken.....

Bryan__howell

I ran line in and line out. I even switched them around a lot, still nothing. That picture was taken after I unhooked it, and headed home. I'm about to go back outside and give it a second shot, just need some ideas before lol.

Skid_Kid

And I appreciate you guys responding! Thanks for helping

So you have two choices, if your new sub has RCA's, then run them from RCA output. If not, and your using the stock speaker wiring in the rig, then it needs to be hooked up the speaker output side of the amp. You can it in mono since it is a sub. Just google how to do it. Good luck!

Skid_Kid

I ran line in and line out. I even switched them around a lot, still nothing. That picture was taken after I unhooked it, and headed home. I'm about to go back outside and give it a second shot, just need some ideas before lol.

Post some pics of how everything is hooked up, I might be able to walk you through it. :thumb:

toxicwaste29

Something you can do is hook up a AA battery to both ends on the sub. I know when you do it to a regular speaker they do a quick pop; maybe the sub will do the same. This will tell you the sub is good or bad rather than assuming.

toxicwaste29

Sorry just saw the sub works. Something else is the remote wire may need hooked to the radio. I know it has constant power when the jeep is turned on but it needs the signal from the radio to work properly i believe.

cwmt3

I used a scosche rca adapter from the speaker wires behind the head unit, it works great for me.The 4 speaker wires going to the sub are 'oddly' bridged. Try hooking up the rca adaptor to known signal sending wires. If that's not it, it could be many things..

Top Bottom