Angry Aussie's Build

Angry Aussie

Did the problems start after you hooked up one accessory over another?

No, once I had everything in accessory wise I didn't have any problems for well over a year. That's what makes all of this so confusing. How does it sit for 96 hours without running and fires up last night no problem and today nothing. Makes me wanna pull my hair out.

WJCO

Meme King
As of right now I'm fighting some kind of electrical demon. Something is draining power from the battery when it shouldn't be. I drove it last night around 7:30 for about 10 minutes to run to the store no issues and today I go out to start it after it's been sitting for 17 hours and it won't start.

This all started 8 months ago and only every once in awhile I would have to jump it after it sat over night. But would only happen maybe once a month. It became more of a regular thing a month or so ago. So I've put a new battery in it and it's still happening. I can't find what could be draining the battery.

Weird thing is I didn't drive it at all from Sunday up until Wednesday night and it started up just fine Wednesday night no issues. So it sat for 17 hours or so last night after being driven and it won't start.

Anyone have any ideas of how I could track down what's draining the battery power? Or what could be causing the drain? Any ideas of what I should be looking for?

I do have a ton of accessories hooked up to the battery, lights, winch, Arb, s-hit pod, subs, amps, etc.

Should I replace the alternator? It's a 2012 with 39,000 miles on it. At this point I'm lost and insanely frustrated with the whole thing.

Ensure all dome lights are off. Even check under the hood if you have a light there. I just dealt with that yesterday myself. Next thing would be devices like CB radios, etc that have their own power switch. Lastly, you could do an amp draw test with a ammeter and start disconnecting circuits or pulling fuses to find out which circuit is causing the draw.

Angry Aussie

I know it's winter and the rig just wants to hibernate for the winter, but it seems harder to wake the jeep up then it does my Great Dane in the morning. [emoji1]

WJCO

Meme King
If you aren't familiar with the test, here's a quick video showing how to set up the meter, just a quick youtube search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCT-YZbU5o. Then either unplug each aftermarket acc one at a time or pull fuses one at a time until the meter reads close to zero. That will at least point you in the right direction of the circuit.

Angry Aussie

If you aren't familiar with the test, here's a quick video showing how to set up the meter, just a quick youtube search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFCT-YZbU5o. Then either unplug each aftermarket acc one at a time or pull fuses one at a time until the meter reads close to zero. That will at least point you in the right direction of the circuit.

No I wasn't aware of this, I'll watch the video and see if I can get my hands on a meter. Thanks bro.

How's the weather in Boulder right now? I'm trying to move back to Boulder and hoping to pull it off in the next year or two.

WJCO

Meme King
No I wasn't aware of this, I'll watch the video and see if I can get my hands on a meter. Thanks bro.

How's the weather in Boulder right now? I'm trying to move back to Boulder and hoping to pull it off in the next year or two.

Was nice this morning, but starting to spit snow. I think we're suppose to get about 4 inches or so tonight.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Wow looks like you've made some great additions to the Jeep! I thought it looked awesome when I met you at HF in 2014! Nice job!

Angry Aussie

Wow looks like you've made some great additions to the Jeep! I thought it looked awesome when I met you at HF in 2014! Nice job!

Thanks bro!! Honestly it's been to long since we have wheeled together. Even though we didn't get to spend to much time together on the trails I enjoyed wheeling with you and would love to wheel with you again.

I hope all is going well for you bro. Would love to see you again.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Thanks bro!! Honestly it's been to long since we have wheeled together. Even though we didn't get to spend to much time together on the trails I enjoyed wheeling with you and would love to wheel with you again.

I hope all is going well for you bro. Would love to see you again.

I hope all is well with you too. I haven't done much to my Jeep unfortunately but I've been saving for some new mods. I have a build thread out here somewhere also that I have forgotten about. I really need to go check it out.

I just had some problems with my wife's battery in her car. The car would crank one day then not the next and then would be good for a week, then not start. Turned out the battery was bad and I had to replace it. It was about 2 years old. The guy at NAPA suggested I test the voltage at the battery with the car running in order to check the alternator. He said if the alternator wasn't putting out enough voltage to keep up with the draw it could cause battery issues. Basically he said the battery should show about 13.5 volts while it's being charged by the alternator. If it's low while the car is on then the alternator may not be putting out enough voltage which causes the battery to stay below voltage and eventually kills the battery. I just wanted to pass that on. Might be something to look into.

Good luck with that issue! :beer:

My local club is planning a run to HF May 27th - 29th. Maybe you can catch us there! We will be going to Barnwell on Saturday the 16th also. Any Wayalifers that would like to roll with us are more than welcome! It's great to see so many Wayalife Jeepers now in TX cause there didn't used to be hardly any.

Angry Aussie

Count me in for the run in May, I'll be there.

Just found out my pro grips won't ship out till Friday so I won't get them installed till the 22 or 23 probably. I'll post up pics of them when I get them and of the install. Can't wait to see how much of a difference they will make.

Angry Aussie

I ordered a poison spyder rear tire carrier, I finally got tired of worrying about my stock carrier possibly breaking and tired of breaking my tailgate swing arm. Should be here Monday and I will be sending it and my hood louver, bumper, flares, and rear fascia to get powder coated. My rig is about to go through a white out. Excited and worried how it will look almost all white. Could look good or end up looking like shit.

Angry Aussie

Got to test out my Arb twin compressor today when I left hf it was impressive how quickly it got my tires aired back up. Highly recommend the Arb if anyone is looking for a compressor.

Exodus 4x4

Got to test out my Arb twin compressor today when I left hf it was impressive how quickly it got my tires aired back up. Highly recommend the Arb if anyone is looking for a compressor.

OBA a so much better than the setup they have at HF. I went with the Viair 450c and I think a 2.5 gallon tank. It's really nice having the peace of mind knowing that I always have air on hand for me and to help someone on the side of the road if necessary.

Tango_Down

I had a similar issue with my last JK and thought it was the battery as well. The issue went on intermittently for a few months, it turned out to be a key issue where the chip inside the key was going out. Sometimes it would start, a few hours or days later completely dead.... Maybe something to check into if you have a spare key. Then again, this may not be the issue at all, just thought I would throw it out there.

Angry Aussie

I had a similar issue with my last JK and thought it was the battery as well. The issue went on intermittently for a few months, it turned out to be a key issue where the chip inside the key was going out. Sometimes it would start, a few hours or days later completely dead.... Maybe something to check into if you have a spare key. Then again, this may not be the issue at all, just thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks man I'll give it a shot, at this point willing to try anything.

Angry Aussie

Went out this morning and had a flat. Didn't see any cuts in it and can't hear a leak. I used my Arb twin to fill it up and it took about two minutes maybe less to fill it up to 30 psi. I was impressed. I'm so glad I finally got some OBA. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453049513.398857.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453049530.784591.jpg

Angry Aussie

I've gotten a little carried away order parts this week, but really excited to get everything on.

Already delivered

Poison syder rear tire carrier

Now the carrier, flares and rear fascia are going to powder coating on Friday.

Still waiting for my pro grips to show up.

Today I ordered

PSC system!!!!! So excited for this

New axle shafts for the front

Currie tie rod and drag link.

And considering ordering some king shocks since I decide to spend my coilover money on all this other stuff. Hopefully should have everything back and installed by mid week next week. I'll post up pics when I get it back.

Top Bottom